Some ideas for "quests" and "npcs"

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Gemstone

Some ideas for "quests" and "npcs"

Post by Gemstone » 01 Oct 2014, 00:07

While discussing this game with a friend of mine, we had an awesome idea that could potentially add to the game. We're both giddily awaiting the release of the game as it seems really interesting.

Housing
It would be great i one could build houses and make them "open" so that an NPC could move in.

The chance for this could be random so that it might take a while. The size and the location of the house may affect chances. An empty house surrounded by already filled houses could increase the chance while an empty house outside any town would have a severly decreased chance of residence.

This would enable the building of 'populated cities', a concept which both me and a friend would -love- to see as no other game has ever really done that.

NPCs and Quests
The presence of NPCs in a house opens up for interaction with them and what better way to do so than gaining a sort of quests. These might range from simple things "please, take this apple to the baker in the next street" to more complex things "bandits are plaguing my farm, can you please slay them?"

To make them more interesting, targets of a quest could spawn once the quest is started. I.e. Someone might shout for help and you rush in, only to have a couple of tugs spawn and start swinging at you.

Quests could net rewards in the improvement of the NPC. A basic npc could possible sell some of what they gather over a day. Some basic produce without much gain. Finished quests also increases an npc loyalty so that it keeps staying. Some NPC's could dislike each other and finishing a quest for the baker may reduce the smith's loyalty and thus make him leave.

A more advanced NPC, whom you've helped with several quests, could improve and sometimes sell valuable items for a cheap price. This could be balanced by the chance of such an event being fairly rare. Often they would sell you convenience stuff.

I really apologize if these suggestions are unnecessary or outside the scope of the game. As I said earlier, I don't own the game yet as I'm waiting for its full release :)

Dods

Re: Some ideas for "quests" and "npcs"

Post by Dods » 01 Oct 2014, 00:39

NPCs will be farmed by people.

The current alignment system is a joke.

Quests in a sandbox are weird and awkward. Its a sandbox. I get to play in it. That means you get to play in it. Make player made quests which travel by word of mouth. Please do not ask these people to code things like quests. Please let them focus on the surmountable task of finishing the game and having decent game mechanics without having major flaws which any moron with half a brain can bend to their will.

Clyz0r

Post by Clyz0r » 01 Oct 2014, 12:23

No need to apologise for having a suggestion.

Quests would ruin it. Didn't need quests in UO, the people made the world, created the history on each shard all very different from one another, all the player-run events, all the guild towns, alliances made and broken..wars......it was wonderful. There was no relying on quests for anything. Our guild town on Siege Perilous usually had people there, rping away, plenty of events we set up and ran ourselves. It wasn't often unoccupied. Inns run by clever players with a knack for getting along with others and creating a good atmosphere pull people in regularly. I think/hope that you won't find always empty towns in LIF. I do understand your frustration with these empty towns we are all familiar with in other games...

I would not like to see the npcs you have suggested. I don't want anything made easier or more convenient via quests/npcs. Building a network of friends you can rely on, finding places to buy what you need or having the skill to make what you need...and putting away things in storage that you need often...much more satisfying.

Of the many things I could frown on regarding today's mmos..it's that they have questing at all. The unpredictable evolving story of the people that call a game home and what they not only do for themselves but what they do for the feel of the world as a whole is far more interesting than some bs linear bloody nonsense that is so rampant these days. I'd rather earn my way, truly earn it, rather than rely - even in part - on quests to go and do that for this and blah blah gods I'm sick to death of quests in mmos.

A sandbox mmo with quests...a big no from me. It's not necessary at all.

Corriereromano2

Post by Corriereromano2 » 01 Oct 2014, 18:11

I agree with the last comment. Quests are not necessary. Lif is intended to be a game made by people. Groups or clan will create events or contests, a sort of 'real' quests that are much more challenging than the ones fron Npc. As any sandbox, you need to find your path.

Viik

Post by Viik » 01 Oct 2014, 18:27

Please, "Bring me 20 wolf pelts and 40 bones" is one of the best inventions ever after sliced bread!

On a serious note, sandbox mmo's are not "theme parks" as many mainstreams. The only place I see NPC in LIF are trading posts and maybe sort of town guard npc's as in Wurm, just to scare off solo thieves and griefers.

glenncariaga

Post by glenncariaga » 01 Oct 2014, 19:56

i think there is some merit to the "npc" idea. though, I think maybe it could be modified to some sort of interface for player made quests.

for example, lets say you need x resources for whatever reason. there should be some interface that allows people to find out about the demand, and then there should be some way to receive said resources while off-line. i'm okay with having some sort of "major domo" npc that does that. maybe some sort of "herald" npc. these npc's are just post boxes (in essence) that would be a money sink if a player wanted to use such services. They'd be killable, like any structure, though they "respawn" after a time period (as opposed to structures).

Gemstone

Post by Gemstone » 01 Oct 2014, 22:08

glenncariaga wrote:i think there is some merit to the "npc" idea. though, I think maybe it could be modified to some sort of interface for player made quests.

for example, lets say you need x resources for whatever reason. there should be some interface that allows people to find out about the demand, and then there should be some way to receive said resources while off-line. i'm okay with having some sort of "major domo" npc that does that. maybe some sort of "herald" npc. these npc's are just post boxes (in essence) that would be a money sink if a player wanted to use such services. They'd be killable, like any structure, though they "respawn" after a time period (as opposed to structures).

This is actually a really good idea. Letting players set quests and rewards as a sort of trade system could really work.

I'd love to see random NPC's in the game even if the quests didn't do anything other than upgrade their housing :)

Jalpha

Post by Jalpha » 02 Oct 2014, 10:54

NPCs pls go.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 02 Oct 2014, 11:43

Jalpha wrote:NPCs pls go.

Yeah, seriously... people can't leave a multiplayer game be just about players. Some always need their little androids roaming around.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas