Steam Client and Stand Alone Server?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Naneweer

Steam Client and Stand Alone Server?

Post by Naneweer » 05 Oct 2014, 04:39

Im pretty sure I was talking with someone who mentioned this... But, I am a new backer who owns the STEAM release of the game...

I run and play on my own server on the same machine.. but, with STEAM, you cant seem to run the "server" without having the client running as well.

Sure you can start both up, then quit the client, but after that, you cant start the client again, since STEAM thinks everything is still running.

Question is: How can I launch the server separately from the client, so that i can quit and launch the client independently of the server?

I want to be able to keep the server running, without having to quit it, just to restart my client whenever i want to play again....

Alfie
Alpha Tester

Re: Steam Client and Stand Alone Server?

Post by Alfie » 05 Oct 2014, 09:34

Download the server with steamcmd.

Very basic instructions
(I'm unaware of your level of understanding so I have no idea if the above is enough information to get you sorted; though no doubt there will be other people that may see this so here goes nothing)

Download SteamCMD exe from here (dont just run it):
http://media.steampowered.com/installer/steamcmd.zip (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD)

Where you wish to install the server / files is up to you. Personally my structure is like this:

G:\servers\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe
G:\servers\locallif1 (lif:yo dedi)

1. Put the steamcmd executable in a folder somewhere.

2. Create another new folder where you want your LiF:YO server files to be.

3. Now it's time to create the bat that will download the server files as well as act as our update script in future.

Open notepad, paste the following:

G:\servers\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir g:\servers\locallif1 +app_update 320850 validate

Save it as update.bat (file > save as > [save as type] All files > [File name] update.bat

4. Update the above with your file paths so:

G:\servers\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe = path to your steamcmd.exe location
g:\servers\locallif1 = the folder you want your dedi files in

5. Run the bat, grab a cup of coffee. Once done quit steam cmd (type quit in window for clean shut down)

6. Setup your config_local.cs and your world_x.xml as needed (if you're reading this and don't know what that is read the readme in root of server folder and sort your db out).

7. Create a shortcut to ddctd_cm_yo_server.exe (right click, create shortcut)

8. Right click your new shortcut, go to properties

9. Update your target from
G:\servers\locallif1\ddctd_cm_yo_server.exe

to

G:\servers\locallif1\ddctd_cm_yo_server.exe -worldID x

*Change worldID x to your instance number specified in your world_x.xml, e.g. -worldID 1
Keep in mind the ID relates to the DB name created by the server, so if your id is 5, your DB name is lif_5

10. All done. Run the shortcut to start the server up. Run the update.bat that we created above to update the server when needed.
Anquer Quare
www.Anquer-Quare.com | www.AQServers.com

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
John F Kennedy
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Zhalls
Alpha Tester

Post by Zhalls » 05 Oct 2014, 12:01

Outstanding! I was wondering about this myself. I'll try it out and add any notes that may be relavant to this thread. Thanks again for the explanation.

Alfie
Alpha Tester

Post by Alfie » 05 Oct 2014, 12:12

Zhalls wrote:Outstanding! I was wondering about this myself. I'll try it out and add any notes that may be relavant to this thread. Thanks again for the explanation.

I haven't added any information about installing the DB, or what you need to setup in the configs (readme is pretty straight forward but some newbies may feel lost with it).

If you do end up writing a post in this thread with additional information/instructions I'll edit my post above and link to it where relevant.
Anquer Quare
www.Anquer-Quare.com | www.AQServers.com

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
John F Kennedy
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to General Discussion