Logs (or movable item): an exploit?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Nackleous

Logs (or movable item): an exploit?

Post by Nackleous » 02 Oct 2014, 13:41

Hi everyone,

I was wondering.... I've seen it a couple of times on the server I play. people stack 2 or 3 logs toghether, and just jump over walls (yes, even stone ones). We in our server consider it an exploit, since it renders walls useless. I wanted to know what you guys think of it.

Cheers!
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Rarp

Re: Logs (or movable item): an exploit?

Post by Rarp » 02 Oct 2014, 13:57

its being fixed this patch supposedly
ImagejoinToRemoteServer("lif.nightswatch.ca:28000","")
The Night's Watch is recruiting!
Web based skill calculator

Nackleous

Post by Nackleous » 02 Oct 2014, 23:59

Looking forward to it, then!

Thylbanus

Post by Thylbanus » 03 Oct 2014, 00:59

I wouldn't call that a problem, I'd call that using the environment to your advantage. They should stack though. The hovering logs are a problem.

Nackleous

Post by Nackleous » 03 Oct 2014, 13:36

so the follow up question would be, what is the legitimate way of breaching walls? building ramps???

Maegfaer
Mod Developer

Post by Maegfaer » 03 Oct 2014, 16:16

The issue isn't fixed properly. It's slightly harder now but still very possible.

Legitimate ways would be digging, either a tunnel or actually elevating the ground so you can jump over the wall. Or actually builing a proper stair with logs, without floating ones. It'd take a lot of logs and thus either a lot of time or a lot of people. Another way is a surprise attack, plenty of gates won't have dedicated guards and may leave the gate open from time to time.
Pioneer LiF:YO modder
Author of Life is Balanced
My Modding Guide

Nackleous

Post by Nackleous » 04 Oct 2014, 18:29

Thanks!! I've told my GM so, and the server rules will be updated accordingly.

Cheers!

SirDruben

Post by SirDruben » 04 Oct 2014, 23:01

I see this as "emergent gameplay"

Doesn't remotely seem like an exploit.

I'm PERFECTLY fine with this being against houserules. It is kinda bush-league.

But one of the main appeals of this game (to me at least) is the INCREDIBLE detail and how malleable your environment is! I see this as ingenius on a certain level.

Of course, if you can't do anything about those logs, then that's kind of unfair. Maybe they should tweak it but I wouldn't recommend a game fix to it.

Maegfaer
Mod Developer

Post by Maegfaer » 04 Oct 2014, 23:04

SirDruben wrote:I see this as "emergent gameplay"

Doesn't remotely seem like an exploit.

I'm PERFECTLY fine with this being against houserules. It is kinda bush-league.

But one of the main appeals of this game (to me at least) is the INCREDIBLE detail and how malleable your environment is! I see this as ingenius on a certain level.

Of course, if you can't do anything about those logs, then that's kind of unfair. Maybe they should tweak it but I wouldn't recommend a game fix to it.

The problem is that logs can float high in the air at the moment. You only need a few to get over stone walls. If actual laws of physics were used you'd probably need about 20+ logs to get over a stone wall, carefully placed. Currently you can quickly put two floating ones in the air and with some jumping you're in.
My Modding Guide

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 04 Oct 2014, 23:55

Problem still persists? Are you actually still able to put objects high in the sky? That shouldn't be possible :(

Nackleous

Post by Nackleous » 04 Oct 2014, 23:59

Basically, instead of just one like before, now you need 2. The stacking height has been slightly reduced, but the problem persists.

AchiIIes

Post by AchiIIes » 05 Oct 2014, 04:23

Moveable items can't be placed underground now, can't be raised more than 4 or 5 feet now, however, the recent update disallowed objects going through stable objects, ie houses, shops, perhaps maybe even every object, but most importantly, WALLS. The moveable objects now register that their is a stable object and goes over said object, so all people have to do is place it near the house or wall, and raise it to the height they want and make prop climbing possible, again.

They just use the stable object to raise it again. I believe. Good thing all my valuables are inside my locked house though :D

I want to help anyone who have built their walls or structers legitimately and still have these pests prop climbing their way inside.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 05 Oct 2014, 11:36

Good to hear that the patch fixed it after all. Now you will have legitimate, small sieges. :) Beware!

Zhalls
Alpha Tester

Post by Zhalls » 05 Oct 2014, 11:46

I'd take logs any day. At least then you can remove them and clean up your area again once the siege is over. If they tunnel under it, you're pretty much screwed because of the current invincible tunneling system. I'm very much looking forward to this "collapsing tunnel" function that I've been hearing about.

AchiIIes

Post by AchiIIes » 05 Oct 2014, 12:27

Well for the most part. Yes I agree logs are way better than having someone dig a tunnel under and into the area. However, objects can still be placed reletively high. :ROFL:

Niistokeppi

Post by Niistokeppi » 05 Oct 2014, 14:55

Not fixed.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 05 Oct 2014, 15:28

Well, in that case please report that on mantis. It's sad to see that this issue is still there. :(

Carrion

Post by Carrion » 05 Oct 2014, 16:20

It's kind of fixed, you do need to stack stuff now but the problem is that it needs another mechanism that causes imbalanced items to fall over or something.

WhiteTree
Devoted Believer

Post by WhiteTree » 05 Oct 2014, 16:54

This happened on my server over night. Doesn't seem very fixed to me (and the logs aren't stacked on anything).

I know that in theory, you could just make a large stack of logs and still climb over, but that would take a lot longer than three logs.

Alive

Post by Alive » 05 Oct 2014, 17:34

Arrakis09 wrote:Problem still persists? Are you actually still able to put objects high in the sky? That shouldn't be possible :(

But it is. You simply put smth on the same place, and you can lift it for one sqare up and to infinity. Image

Alive

Post by Alive » 05 Oct 2014, 18:02

I see only one simple decision to solve this problem - make all objects that can be lifted up are pathable througt. No one can jump on logs, all objects will stucking on floor non one square higher. Anoing but acceptable.

Thylbanus

Post by Thylbanus » 05 Oct 2014, 19:43

Alive wrote:I see only one simple decision to solve this problem - make all objects that can be lifted up are pathable througt. No one can jump on logs, all objects will stucking on floor non one square higher. Anoing but acceptable.

Unacceptable. Using logs IS a legitimate way to lay siege. Just not floating in mid air, nor stacked in crazy, impossible ways. If they could function like dirt, where you throw some down and if it doesn't have support, it cascades down the side until there is support.

It would also make my log stacking much easier.

Alive

Post by Alive » 05 Oct 2014, 19:52

Thylbanus wrote:Unacceptable. Using logs IS a legitimate way to lay siege.

But this is a better/faster/easer way to improve the game till time when this prob will be fixed. Many ppls stop playing or change server when they have not a safe spot. Now you can reach what you want with exploit, better to stop it all then leave it how it now. For awhile

Maegfaer
Mod Developer

Post by Maegfaer » 05 Oct 2014, 22:15

Alive wrote:

But this is a better/faster/easer way to improve the game till time when this prob will be fixed. Many ppls stop playing or change server when they have not a safe spot. Now you can reach what you want with exploit, better to stop it all then leave it how it now. For awhile

To be fair, there still are safe spots: In houses with actual doors. Only those who have claimed them can open/close the door. It's also possible to drop items in your house. Floating logs are frustrating indeed and should be fixed, but it's not impossible to keep yourself and your items safe.

Especially if you play on a server with a one-character-per-account restriction it's not so bad. Without it, bandits tend to sneak in with alts and only log in on that alt when there's none online. They raid the castle, log off, and repeat the next day. If you can only have one character you can't really play the game in the meantime.
My Modding Guide

Thylbanus

Post by Thylbanus » 06 Oct 2014, 00:31

Maegfaer wrote:
Alive wrote:

To be fair, there still are safe spots: In houses with actual doors. Only those who have claimed them can open/close the door. It's also possible to drop items in your house. Floating logs are frustrating indeed and should be fixed, but it's not impossible to keep yourself and your items safe.

Especially if you play on a server with a one-character-per-account restriction it's not so bad. Without it, bandits tend to sneak in with alts and only log in on that alt when there's none online. They raid the castle, log off, and repeat the next day. If you can only have one character you can't really play the game in the meantime.

Exactly. I was careless and logged off with some of my valuables stashed away in my hidden area. I figured no one will find it, but I logged in the next day, and all the valuables were gone. I figured it was safe as it was in my villages walls, behind two gates. Someone figured a way in and I lost my stuff... but that MY fault for not securing it before logging.

Alive

Post by Alive » 06 Oct 2014, 14:26

Here come the "safe place with door" was builded buy palicade. Happend to me btw.

Nackleous

Post by Nackleous » 07 Oct 2014, 09:46

Well, to be honest, the houses are not safe either. I've heard of 2 different people who were robbed in their houses, behind closed doors. We suspect it has to do with tinkering with the settings, and reogging, causing the walls to dissappear (no colision).
Only the stuff stored neither the walls gets nicked. So, just to be safe we store stuff in the middle of the building.

Viik

Post by Viik » 07 Oct 2014, 10:50

For extra safety you might won't to place them in the middle of the second floor.

As a side note, maybe we should have a system which records steam IDs for last 100 interactions with the object. Cases like this would be much easier to investigate by admin or GMs. The same would be useful for tracking who did terraforming to block house doors or placed campfires.

Viik

Post by Viik » 07 Oct 2014, 11:02

Posted feature request in mantis, please up-vote and comment if you care about giving our admins and gms more power to track hackers/exploiters/griefers:
https://lifeisfeudal.com/mantis/view.php?id=1481

Rayes

Post by Rayes » 07 Oct 2014, 12:42

Replied on the mantis tracker.. Good idea. Though not sure if the DB option will be good for optimalization, but the idea is good!

Return to General Discussion