Short and simple floating object fix

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Falsewall

Short and simple floating object fix

Post by Falsewall » 30 Sep 2014, 15:11

Disregard this and instead read my algorithm below this post. It results in an increase of about .022 mb for every 3000 tiles/blocks and is a much better fix.

In regards to players placing things like logs in the air to cross walls, I have fix I think would be easy to implement.

First, make objects placed over a certain height above their base block not able to clip with players.

Second, due to this preventing players from taking down really high floating objects(by making log towers), put a hard limit on how high above the base block a user can place a object. This hard limit will equal a constant containing the highest height a player can reach while standing on the base block.

This will still allow players to have visually appealing piles of logs, with minimal game-play mechanics effected.

Worst this will cause is wood piles players can hide in.
Last edited by Falsewall on 02 Oct 2014, 23:27, edited 2 times in total.

Lex

Re: Short and simple floating object fix

Post by Lex » 01 Oct 2014, 16:56

This problem is really annoying. Unfortunately in YO public server can see this type of foul play. Use exploits in the game to build suspended stairs, makes it unnecessary to build any wall in order to defend itself from attack, thieves and trolls of all kinds. More hassles as well as a typical example of this attitude is represented by another exploit, which is to build campfires or fixed structures placed in strategic enemy areas in order to limit urban development. Needless to say, the realism of this game sinks miserably. Since it is not possible to deconstruct structures, would be useful to reclaim land areas. To prevent outsiders to build in enemy territory. But without the ability to form in YO any type of community (clan, family or similar) is a way precluded. You can not create patch to fix the idiocy of some, but I hope that you find ways to moderate the possibility of using similar tricks. Probably the solution suggested by Falsewall could be useful in the short time, but I think it would be more effective to implement a physical model (even basic).

Fish

Post by Fish » 01 Oct 2014, 18:06

This is a really nice idea, but I think the height it should still clip with you should be correct to where its just short of the height to jump over a palisade etc.

Falsewall

Post by Falsewall » 02 Oct 2014, 18:29

Thought up some suedo code for an even better fix(Only works for logs). This will force bandits to use enough logs to make a pyramid up to your walls.

Log variables---------------------variable stored in a log
height=.2 //placeholder for whatever height a log has

Tile of ground variables-------------------variables in a tile of ground
heightMult=1 //heightMultiplier
actualHeight=.2 //How high above ground log can be placed
logsOnTile=0 //How many logs we have placed on tile
prevLogNum=1 //Last#of logs that caused heightMult to increase

Code for tile to run when someone begins to place log on tile

IF(logsOnTile==0)
logsOntile=1
ELSE IF((logsOnTile-prevLogNum)>heightMultiplier)
heightMult=heightMult+1
prevLogNum=logsOnTile

Note when someone goes to place a log this code is run, then they can place their log
.2 meters * heightMult above ground

This code is not perfect, but makes people need to cut down a lot of trees to get up to your wall. If you don't understand this, draw some pictures of log piles and you will see the algorithm works.
(Sorry if there is a policy against writing suedo code on the forum.)

Falsewall

Post by Falsewall » 08 Oct 2014, 22:59

Looks to me like the update made to fix this isn't working so hot.

Not just that but I think they made the height you can place items(logs for example) equal to roughly the tallest place-able item in the game.

Shame they couldn't have a static dictionary with the with the object typeid as the key and an int value containing the height of a type of object.(There are about 15)

I mean there are only about 15 things in the game you can pick up. Edit the place command and replace this generic height variable with a call to what the static dictionary has stored for the height of that type of object.

I don't think this would add more than maybe 100 or so bytes of extra memory. If anyone things I am overlooking things, feel free to chime in.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas