Farming quality & counts (bug?)

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

Mog

Farming quality & counts (bug?)

Post by Mog » 07 Oct 2014, 17:20

Somehow it seems that food quality is associated with breeding rates, and so I'd like to improve my food quality.

I tried an experiment at farming to try to raise my farmed produce quality.

I planted 2 rows, with one of each type of crop, using the best quality of each item I could find (they were in the 50-70 range).

Both rows I terraformed to remove all the soil and layed down fresh "fertile" soil.

One of the two rows I additionally fertilized with poop from the coop.

24 hours later, I harvested everything.

Almost all of the crops consistently were lower in quality than the original produce I planted (there was only one exception, my carrots went slightly up - on the non-fertilized patch).

I was also somewhat surprised because the fertilized crops didn't see any real difference from the non-fertilized. They weren't significantly better in quality, and they weren't significantly more of them either (they were all 1-3, and in fact, I seemed to have better luck with the non-fertilized in terms of counts).

So, my questions are:
1) Can farming quality be controlled?
1b) And if it can, what am I doing wrong?
2) How can I get higher crop counts?
2b) It seems like fertilization and fresh soild dont matter here, but sometimes I have seen more like 4-6 yield on harvest, rather than the 1-3 I saw here. Why?

Jalpha

Re: Farming quality & counts (bug?)

Post by Jalpha » 08 Oct 2014, 00:27

Word is that currently best yields are acquired on fresh soil which has never before been cropped. It's possible that fertility calculation is made from more than just the top layer of soil, intended or not. It's also possible that a tile may need to be fertilized multiple times to regain its original fertility.

I haven't played around with farming much yet personally, so this is all second hand opinions.

Gilgamesh038

Post by Gilgamesh038 » 09 Oct 2014, 20:30

I have had similar experiences in my testing.

i would also like to know the answer to this because in order to get good food modifers better than just eating high q apples you need to use high quality crops with cooking to get higher, so i have been trying to figure out how to get higher quality crops as well.

Somerlot

Post by Somerlot » 10 Oct 2014, 05:45

I have interest in this as well. The fertile soil item also has a quality rating. I always wondered if it affects what is grown on it.

Return to Newcomer Section