Typical Questions

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

Vaereir

Typical Questions

Post by Vaereir » 13 Oct 2014, 02:14

Hello, Vaereir here. Call me Dylan if you wish. Which ever works for you. Anyway, I'll be listing my questions here so I'll definitely update said thread with anymore questions.

Just some additional info. I play both Mortal Online and Gloria Victis. Though they have some places that lack.

Mortal Online - Some times terrible connection issues, PvE is very bland and not rewarding, Crafting is merely an asset to PvP, Players tend to troll more then play the game seriously, most content is locked down by other players who have invested no less then 3 years in the game, not a very large population.

Gloria Victis - Combat is a little "Eh" ( Though Alpha, so understandable ), connection issues are horrendous making the game unplayable ( I live in the U.S. East Coast ), NPC's are really buggy and seem to either not respond or are invisible, not much to do as of right now.

Questions
1. Is this game a good suggestion for groups of friends to play?

2. Is the community good? ( Both in-game and out-of-game ) I understand people who merely play the role of a Bandit, that does not bother me.

3. Does investing time pay off?

4. How does the crafting / gathering system function / work?

5. How big is the in-game world?

6. How does the game function as in playing it? ( One server, multiple servers, worlds, etc? )

7. Would my connection be good if playing on a server within my region?

8. How open world / sandbox is this game?

9. What types of things are you able to do. ( This can be anything, though don't spoil to much )

10. I like to learn and explore, can I find that here?

11. Will this game be more of a hassle then to have fun? And no, I do not consider hard work and time sinks a hassle.

12. What are some tips for a new comer?

13. Are there functioning mounts?

14. Can I make my own server ( If possible ) If so, how and will it cost me money?

15. Is there a economy based on coinage or is it based off of items / materials?

16. Can Player A be efficient at every thing, or can he only be good at certain things? ( Example, in Mortal Online your character can only 'Specialize' in certain areas. Meaning a Foot Fighter couldn't be an armorer. A mage couldn't be a hunter, etc. )

17. Is there any skill points, skill trees, atrributes? If so, what exactly is it and how does it work?

18. I'd like to be a hunter who can handle him self out in the wild, would this be possible?

Soon to update with more questions. Thanks for the info if I receive any!

Somerlot

Re: Typical Questions

Post by Somerlot » 13 Oct 2014, 08:49

Ill throw in a few answers. I really suggest also read these:
http://lifeisfeudal.com/LiFYO
http://lifeisfeudal.com/Key-features
http://lifeisfeudal.com/FAQ
http://lifeisfeudal.com/Life-is-Feudal-like

This game almost demands multiplayer. You can play by yourself on a server however it would take tremendous time and depending on server settings for skill level and stat cap, you may not be able to do everything yourself.

2. Is the community good? ( Both in-game and out-of-game ) I understand people who merely play the role of a Bandit, that does not bother me.
There are a lot of groups out there. Some are bandit players, some people do purely the role playing aspect. Some servers even host streamed "arena/tournament" style combat.

Every action beyond walking/running increases a skill and corresponding stat (up to whatever cap the server has for the combined caps)

Crafting and gathering works. All the structures seen required crafting of all kinds. Lumberjacking, smithing, mining, herbalism, farming, terraforming.

6. How does the game function as in playing it? ( One server, multiple servers, worlds, etc? )
Once released there wil be two versions of this game. One will be the MMO and what is currently on steam (Your Own version) allows us to have our own servers with our own settings, mods, rules, etc. Both are to be maintained by the developers.

I am currently playing from Afghanistan on satellite internet. I play on an east coast server in the US. Ping is usually around 850. Other player movements are smooth 100% but its still playable for me.

14. Can I make my own server ( If possible ) If so, how and will it cost me money?
The steam YO version is exactly this. Our own servers. We are up our choices on host providers. There are also discussions on host providers in the forum.

16. Can Player A be efficient at every thing, or can he only be good at certain things?
It is a specialization system, however if you ever change your mind you can change the direction from progression to regression and as you begin performing what you want, it will lower whichever skill you picked.

Ontrose
Devoted Believer

Re: Typical Questions

Post by Ontrose » 14 Oct 2014, 12:05

Hello!

Even though, Mr. Somerlot already answered it, i would like to give my opinion too.

-> It absolutely is a made for Teamplay. The more the better i guess, but its definitly made for GROUPPLAY

-> Well, hard to answere. I think it quite differs from server to server, since many servers have their own "ruleset" and their own Steamgroup.
There is always some griefing and stealing, some random attacks etc... cant be helped in the LIF:YO version.
for the MMO which comes later on: Due to the HUGE skillloss on death, there wont be TOO many Bandits, when you consider, you have to buy each char...

-> Clearly depends on what you want to achieve.
If your used to build your own lil house in minecraft in like 30 mins, you probably wont feel as rewarded here. Because it needs LOADS of time, gathering, farming and TEAMING UP, to get higher grade buildings done.

-> Ever played Ultima Online? Easier to look into the wiki ;) not too hard to understand

5. How big is the in-game world?

-> Its 3km*3km, not too big, but you will have still quite a bit to explore!
-> in the MMO it will start with 7*7km i think and can be made bigger if needed.

-> In the LIF:YO version, you have loads of servers, each stands alone.
-> In the LIF:MMO (coming later, i think end 2015 is their goal to publish it?), it will be one server or on demand i think, soemthin like: Europe Server, US server, Asian server etc... thought thats a guess

-> Uhm, well... dont know how to answere it, honestly...
I mean: Can you play stuff like WOW? Then you should be able to play this too, just based on your Internet connection...

8. How open world / sandbox is this game?

-> You can create your own world, but it IS treated as a server anyway. Lock it with a password. (If your ports are opened)

9. What types of things are you able to do. ( This can be anything, though don't spoil to much )

-> Well, craft different structures (Barns, or Walls as examples)
-> Craft different Items (Shovel, sword, armor, and other tools and weapons)
-> Build, craft, terraform and fight. Eating, dying etc... though you CANT get killed from a fall right now...

10. I like to learn and explore, can I find that here?

-> Well, not in the sense of "Oh, that dungeon looks awesome! LETS RAID IT!"
You can explore the surface of the world (no caves etc yet), but its not the biggest map.
But in the end: Its what you and fellow players make of it! want to have a city to explore? Build one, or go on a server with an existing city. Want to explore a castle or so? well... you know whats comin...

11. Will this game be more of a hassle then to have fun? And no, I do not consider hard work and time sinks a hassle.

-> Well, always point of view here.
I think its fun, and more fun with a decent group... But its not made for fast achievements. You have to invest time to make about anything.
Personally, i would pay double the money for this game, without complaints ;)

12. What are some tips for a new comer?

-> Feel free to ask questions in the open chat on whatever server your playin on. There is bound to be one or two guys there, who will answere.
-> Think twice about revealing your position! Not everybody is nice ;)
-> Keep important stuff in your Inventory when you log out! they cant steal it then ;)

13. Are there functioning mounts?

-> planned but not implemented yet

Well, you can of course host your own server on your home PC.
You will have to look it up though, never bothered with it because:
-> ppl willl be annoyed, if server downtime is too long (while work, while beeing away etc)

You can rent servers from Nitrado or Bluefang solutions. Cost depends on MAX players.

15. Is there a economy based on coinage or is it based off of items / materials?

There is no coinage, i think the closest might be "flux" cos its always wanted and needed. But no, no coins yet.

16. Can Player A be efficient at every thing, or can he only be good at certain things? ( Example, in Mortal Online your character can only 'Specialize' in certain areas. Meaning a Foot Fighter couldn't be an armorer. A mage couldn't be a hunter, etc. )

Well, there is a Skillcap (standart 600. but some servers run it up to 3000).
there are prerequisites for some skills like:
For lumberjacking you need some points on Forestry.
For carpentry you have to be able to lumberjack (and with it, forestry) and so on.
If you max out one "skilltree" you spend 500 points, having 100 for other skills.
But one skill does not LOCK a different path. Just limited by the TOTAL skillpoints.

17. Is there any skill points, skill trees, atrributes? If so, what exactly is it and how does it work?

Well, uhm, look on 16...
There is like:
Blacksmithing tree (mining, melting, smithing etc)
Foretry tree (Forestry, lumberjacking, carpentry, bow craft etc)
Farmer (Farming, animals, cooking and tailoring etc)
Construction (terraforming, different construction Types)
Nature tree (basic food, Herbs, Alchemy, healing)

Same goes for Warabilitys
like: (all taken from my brain, so excuse failures)
Warhorse tree (Horse skills, chainmail armor and lance)
Militia skills (Formations, orders, Cloth armor, Basic weapons)
one handed (one handed weapons, scale armors)
2h Weapon (2handed, Plate)
Bow (Leather armor, bow, sling, x-bow)

18. I'd like to be a hunter who can handle him self out in the wild, would this be possible?

Well, to a certain degree.
You will be able to build a basic Hut (not a big house), plant basic crops, cover your needs for arrows and a bow.
You cant master anything (always assuming the 600 skillcap), without having to relearn abilitys.

Return to Newcomer Section