Shields/Combat - Active or Passive?

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

Vrundriath

Re: Shields/Combat - Active or Passive?

Post by Vrundriath » 16 Oct 2014, 15:23

Again, I understand you believe your toy sword fighting against other untrained guys playing battle in their free time when they aren't typing at their desks makes you an expert. It doesn't. There just isn't any other way I can say that and I'm sorry it makes you mad.

The point is moot regardless. The key is finding a balance between what is realistic and what is good for playability for a game.

The fact is, the current system results in fights turning into two guys running in circles around each other clicking "swing" repeatedly. It is a sprint-fest swing-and-pray system. It is a horrible system. All I'm trying to do is improve that system.

1) Hit Detection - Weapons do not currently register hit detection on shields or parries. They swing right through the shield and character model as if it isn't there and still cause damage. This is why attackers can just spam swing over and over again. This needs to be fixed. Not only is not realistic, it isn't conducive to an enjoyable gameplay experience.

2) Damage Through Shields - Weapons and projectiles currently cause damage through blocks. Even if some swords and some arrows would pierce shields or cause damage through shields in the middle ages, and I agree they would, taking damage even though you have blocked your opponent's blow in a game is not conducive to an enjoyable player-skill vs player-skill system. When you can still damage someone even though they are blocking you, it becomes a matter of who has the best gear to do the most damage through blocks the fastest to win. It is then a Gear vs Gear system, and not a Player vs Player system.

3) Damage to Shields - Weapons and projectiles should more accurately and realistically damage shields. Shields should block damage, but they should also take damage themselves in a realistic manner. This will prevent infinite "turtling", which would be a problem (if shields actually blocked damage) and would not be conducive to an enjoyable gameplay experience.

Ontrose
Devoted Believer

Post by Ontrose » 16 Oct 2014, 15:51

Did you even read what we wrote?
We were FAR FAR past the point already
I argued about what is REALISTIC, not what is possibly in a game, since you claimed M&B was realistic.

I never claimed, that whats implented is realstic.

First you stated X times, that "blocking AND taking dmg is unrealistic", now you claim its just not good for a game?
Read this topic again from start to end.

We started: What is possible, what is in the game right now.
Then we discussed about FRIGGN REALISM <.< not what is beeing able in this or that game.
You clearly stated, more then once, that gettin any kind of dmg, when blocked with a shield, is UNREALISTIC.

This right now, is the first time i think, that you really agreed that it would be REALISTIC, just not fun in game like that.

And i agreed multiple of times, that this needs balancing and stuff.

And did you see it yourself?
We talked about realistic fighting, you just diregarded anythin i brought up, and as soon as i asked for some proper reason from you, you didnt fully denie it anymore and changed back instantly back to game mechanics.

Vrundriath

Post by Vrundriath » 16 Oct 2014, 15:53

I understand you want everyone to know you think you are a great real life knight. I simply don't have any interest in arguing your "knight merits" on the internet with you. If you would like to continue to argue about your great fighting skills IRL, fine, send me a private message, but this thread isn't for you to defend your "internet honor".

I'm glad you agree the game combat mechanics need to be fixed as well. I would love to hear anything you have to say/recommend on that front. Thank you.

Moving on.

Ontrose
Devoted Believer

Post by Ontrose » 16 Oct 2014, 16:32

Uhm, yeah.

I never claimed to be great night or so ;d
I said, i was a semi professional actor, artist or whatever you want to call it, and that i know such stuff, cos i did it.
Yes to a lesser degree etc.

I agreed from the start, that the mechanics here are more broken then anything, while i denied, that M&B was realistic.
And rest was about realism ;) where you jsut discarded everything, without any useful response from your side ^^

And yes, this thread, is about "honor" for a while now, if you want to call it honor.
I would just call it a conversation, about realism ;)

But whatever, see ya around =)

Oh one last point, please dont mock LARPer, or even semi professionals like me.
It's quite annoying if you hear such mocking from people without any clue ;) who never did such things themselves. Its just the point, you have no clue about it ^^

Noaga

Post by Noaga » 16 Oct 2014, 16:45

Well Vrundriath I have read this forum through and I have to agree with Ontrose on the subject that a player will take damage when a shield block's a another players attack.
Now as for the running around fest that you see is normal thing that would happen in battle. But the game mechanics have in it where you will wear one selves out and have to catch your breath bring death upon yourself. An yes this is still alpha and could be better. Also there will be no game even close to real live when it comes to combat.
But I still have to ask again like Ontrose has asked, Where do you get your facts form....

Vrundriath

Post by Vrundriath » 16 Oct 2014, 18:14

I understand you want everyone to know you think you are a great real life knight. I simply don't have any interest in arguing your "knight merits" on the internet with you. If you would like to continue to argue about your great fighting skills IRL, fine, send me a private message, but this thread isn't for you to defend your "internet honor".

I'm glad you agree the game combat mechanics need to be fixed as well. I would love to hear anything you have to say/recommend on that front. Thank you.

Moving on.
Last edited by Vrundriath on 16 Oct 2014, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Vrundriath

Post by Vrundriath » 16 Oct 2014, 18:15

1) Hit Detection - Weapons do not currently register hit detection on shields or parries. They swing right through the shield and character model as if it isn't there and still cause damage. This is why attackers can just spam swing over and over again. This needs to be fixed. Not only is not realistic, it isn't conducive to an enjoyable gameplay experience.

2) Damage Through Shields - Weapons and projectiles currently cause damage through blocks. Even if some swords and some arrows would pierce shields or cause damage through shields in the middle ages, and I agree they would, taking damage even though you have blocked your opponent's blow in a game is not conducive to an enjoyable player-skill vs player-skill system. When you can still damage someone even though they are blocking you, it becomes a matter of who has the best gear to do the most damage through blocks the fastest to win. It is then a Gear vs Gear system, and not a Player vs Player system.

3) Damage to Shields - Weapons and projectiles should more accurately and realistically damage shields. Shields should block damage, but they should also take damage themselves in a realistic manner. This will prevent infinite "turtling", which would be a problem (if shields actually blocked damage) and would not be conducive to an enjoyable gameplay experience.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 16 Oct 2014, 21:45

Vrundriath wrote:
Ontrose wrote:And i got worked up, BECAUSE i got reallife experience and knew what im talkin about ^^
not because you had a different opinion, cos you were simply wrong here =)
On every other topic we can discuss on and off and i will be relaxed :>

Guess your outnumbered now ;D

Nice topic though =)

Unless you have been on a battlefield in the 15th century wielding edged swords and carrying a shield in combat against a neighboring kingdom, you have no first-hand experience, because that is what we are talking about.

You experienced mock combat in a mock combat setting as a mock combat fighter from a mock combat fighter background. Which is probably why you injured yourself. Good for you. By your logic Chuck Norris is a champion UFC fighter and can comment on everything related there-in and would be correct.

The basic fundamentals for the game remain. If blocking doesn't actually block, and parrying doesn't actually parry, which is the system we have now....you end up with sprint-fest speed-swing fights, which is what is in the game.

As I said, I'm fine with damage breaking shields and the implementation of "poor" blocks causing you to still be damaged, (which is what you are advocating, and I agree with that), but, that isn't the system in the game. I would love that system.

Umm, as someone with no experience in this area, I'd like to ask where your experience is coming from, because it sounds like yours is all from previous video games.

As a practical matter, I don't really care what system is used, as long as the devs balance things out. After all, if we were really going for realism here, the majority of players would die from accidents, diseases, malnutrition, and the indifference of those randomly selected at creation to be 'nobles'.

Thanks, but no thanks. I am here to play a game and have fun. So if hitting a shield causes some damage to the shield bearer for the sake of combat balance and fun, then the code should be written that way.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 16 Oct 2014, 21:50

Vrundriath wrote:You are a guy playing with toy blunted swords against other guys with toy blunted swords.

You aren't trained for the rigors of combat in a real combat situation.

The reason you can't take your "real world experience" and apply it, is the same reason Sylvester Stallone can't step into the ring with Mike Tyson and win just because he played Rocky Balboa in a movie.

I understand you -think- you are a skilled medieval combatant, but you aren't, and your experiences aren't related.

Now you are just trolling. Your viewpoint will be ignored going forward.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Vrundriath

Post by Vrundriath » 16 Oct 2014, 23:53

Please don't be under the impression yours was ever being paid attention to.

I simply don't have the time to debate the classic, "I don't have a good argument so you are a troll.", argument.

Try harder or not at all.

Return to Newcomer Section