Armor, damage and the pros and cons

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Blackaciddevil

Armor, damage and the pros and cons

Post by Blackaciddevil » 23 Oct 2014, 18:21

Last week I was daydreaming about a game where the players could control everything around them. With an advanced crafting system, and where a player who was good at cooking/alchemy/building was as important as any kind of warrior. Then I found this game that answered all my prayers. Sadly I have not played it yet. But I have watch lots of ingame videos that is around.

One thing that I miss in the most kind of games, is the value of things, gear. Most rpgs, mmorpgs etc. you switch armor, boots, swords every 10 minutes and level up and so on. An exception is EVE Online where you use the modules on your ship that fit best for the purpuse where you have to weight the pros and cons. A new player could be useful even against someone who have played for 10 years, thats because they use the right gear. Not the best gear (if any).

OK!
Lets say there is different armortypes or rather layers of armor. Every type of armor (leather, scale, plate etc) have different protection against the three types of damage: Blunt, slash and penetration.

You can use one type of armor from the three different layers, or just one, or two. Lets say you use a Gambeson, with a hauberk and a plate armor. This would be a very good protection against most kind of attacks. But every kind of armor has its pros and cons. This setting would make the user slow not able to run more then some meters and drain its stamina fast. And due to his bad vision due to the knighty helmet he'll be even slower. And would easy be an easy taget if outnumbered.

The protection against arrows would be very high and other penetrating attacks to a plate armor would be kind of random, with a 25-40% chances of deflecting the spears or a thrust from a sword. You can get lucky and hit a dent area on the armor or weak spot and deal some deadly damage.

On the other hand the plates weakness is heavy and blunt weapons, maces, hammers etc. Bashing the plate with a mace would dent the plate and make sharp metal grinding against the user. 4-5 good hits with a mace and the heavy armored figure would be down. And up to 10-15 with a sword, or more.

This is how the layers work. With a Gambeson the user of a plate armor have extra protection against blunt weapons due to the soft clothing, and makes the dented plate less dangerous.
The Gambeson alone would not be that good armor, but if you use it with other armor it could give some kind of bonus. And only wearing the plate would make blunt weapons very dangerous, as the dented plate easily would hurt the user.

Then you have all the other kind of armor, that protect good against different kind of attacks.

Inner layer: Gambeson (padded jacket), simple clothing
Mid layer: Chainmail/hauberk (in different weaved variations, broad rings, double or thigh rings, makes a different in armor and weight).
Outer layer: Leather, hardened leather, hide/fur (caveman-like), metal plated leather, scale, plate etc.

Then we have helmets. Open helmet works fine using a bow or melee weapons. Closed helmets makes it harder to hit with anything.

http://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/t/see-h ... lock/18276

That's my thoughts. And I really looking forward for the release!

Return to Suggestions and Ideas