Inventory - Quality for Life suggestion (Pictures inside)

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Baltasar

Inventory - Quality for Life suggestion (Pictures inside)

Post by Baltasar » 26 Sep 2014, 08:39

Hello everyone,

I started playing LiF yesterday and I really like the game so far now, especially the potention it has for the future. Ofc this game still needs many tweaks before you can actually call it a full-release game, but until now we (community+devs) need to do what we can to assure, that this game gets to a point, where it easy to use for everyone, without (to many) frustrating gamemechanics.

One of those frustrating/annoying mechanics right now is the inventory. I DO love that the items are free and that they can overlap, but there are some possible improvements that would make it really awesome. Here are my suggestions:

First:
Background: The first job I tried out is alchemist. An alchemist needs to gather many herbs and after a short while, half of your inventory is full of those. Ofc I tried to rearange them in a way, that I have a good overview.
Problem: When you gather herbs, they get randomly placed into your inventory and sometimes they overlap with your rearanged sorted herbs...
Solution: Give us players the option to create "fields" where gathered items won't be placed by random chance. Only dragging an item into this "field" allows the item to be placed there.
Picture:
As you can see, there are 2 ways to reserve place for non-random-placed items.
The first one (top) is to rightclick an item and reserve the space. Reserved space for a certain item are gray and only THIS herb can be placed and will be stacked here. So if you find another "Acerba Moretum" it will be stacked here. But if you find any other herb, it will be randomly placed outside. Also you can't drag any other herb into this field, because it is reserved for "Acerba Moretum".
The second option is to draw a field into the inventory. Those fields are green and you can place any item into this field that fits (so you can't place big items into small fields). The good thing: If you pick up any new item, it won't be placed into the green field, instead it will be placed outside. The only exception is if you already have an item of the same kind inside of the green field, then it will stack.

Second:
Background: When I gathered herbs, I often found multiple herbs of the same kind. And then I realized that they don't stack... I had to manually search for the new gathered herbs and then I had to search if I had this herb already, so that I could stack them up...
Problem: This is annoying as hell. Especially if you sorted your herbs already, then searched for new ones (an hour for example) and then you have like 60 randomly arranged herbs in your inventory and some of them you have multiple times, but not stacked
Solution: Just let multiple items of the same kind automatically stack instead of randomly lay them into the inventory

Ravenclad

Re: Inventory - Quality for Life suggestion (Pictures inside

Post by Ravenclad » 26 Sep 2014, 11:42

They do stack, but only if their quality is the same as the other one. This becomes less of an issue once you reach your target skill level and lock gathering. However until then it definitely is annoying.
RavenClad @ Bluefangservices Official #11 Chicago - 1x skill server with active admins.

Baltasar

Post by Baltasar » 26 Sep 2014, 14:22

Ravenclad wrote:They do stack, but only if their quality is the same as the other one. This becomes less of an issue once you reach your target skill level and lock gathering. However until then it definitely is annoying.

No, they do not stack sometimes. It really happaned often to me that I had multiple herbs of the same kind (randomly placed in my inventory) and I had to manually stack them (yes, it was possible). It also happened to me when farming plant fiber, like I had 10 plant fibers (stacked) then I dragged them somewhere in my inventory and when I was gathering another one, it wasn't stacked (had to do it manually over and over again). Maybe that's a bug though

TakoMT

Post by TakoMT » 26 Sep 2014, 15:45

Baltasar wrote:
Ravenclad wrote:They do stack, but only if their quality is the same as the other one. This becomes less of an issue once you reach your target skill level and lock gathering. However until then it definitely is annoying.

No, they do not stack sometimes. It really happaned often to me that I had multiple herbs of the same kind (randomly placed in my inventory) and I had to manually stack them (yes, it was possible). It also happened to me when farming plant fiber, like I had 10 plant fibers (stacked) then I dragged them somewhere in my inventory and when I was gathering another one, it wasn't stacked (had to do it manually over and over again). Maybe that's a bug though

Yes they do. As Ravenclad mentioned, they auto stack ONLY if the quality is the same. The only time that happens is when the source of the item is the same. For example 2 saplings from the same tree. Such a scenario is maybe 1/20.

This is not a bug, and for no reason do I want different quality items (even though the same) to stack. Chances are if you stack a high quality item with a low quality item, the high quality item gets screwed. Does quality make a difference?... Well plant a quality 80 apple tree next to a quality 5 apple tree and you will see the difference.

Be very careful when stacking the way you are stacking right now... quality is very important in this game. Especially food.

Baltasar

Post by Baltasar » 26 Sep 2014, 18:03

TakoMT wrote:
Baltasar wrote:

Yes they do. As Ravenclad mentioned, they auto stack ONLY if the quality is the same. The only time that happens is when the source of the item is the same. For example 2 saplings from the same tree. Such a scenario is maybe 1/20.

This is not a bug, and for no reason do I want different quality items (even though the same) to stack. Chances are if you stack a high quality item with a low quality item, the high quality item gets screwed. Does quality make a difference?... Well plant a quality 80 apple tree next to a quality 5 apple tree and you will see the difference.

Be very careful when stacking the way you are stacking right now... quality is very important in this game. Especially food.

Ok, didnt know stuff had different quality and that you could stack things with different quality.

Well, doesn't matter. My suggestion about space reservation stays :)

Ragtimer

Post by Ragtimer » 26 Sep 2014, 20:03

Maybe item stacks should become containers so the items are stacked but you can "open" them and choose what quality you intended using.

A better solution than containers if it's possible to make:
Let people right-click an item-stack and while holding right mouse button a list of quality appears and you can choose the quality you intended by releasing the mouse button on it to open the context-menu or clicking with the left mouse button while right is still hold to pick it up (like you want to pick it with the left mouse button from inventory for whatever reasons). ;)

Yal_Yager

Post by Yal_Yager » 10 Oct 2014, 08:58

So this thread was the reason why we have those stupid notes behind our herbs now
:evil:

Baltasar

Post by Baltasar » 31 Oct 2014, 12:26

Yal_Yager wrote:So this thread was the reason why we have those stupid notes behind our herbs now
:evil:

Not really. I suggested something completely different. I suggested that you can create areas that will only be used for the item you placed in. So if you pick up a new different item, it will be placed anywhere except the area you created. I never suggested giving herbs a background

Return to Suggestions and Ideas