Will you recommend this game to a pseudo-casual gamer?

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.
Diepotatonoo

Will you recommend this game to a pseudo-casual gamer?

Post by Diepotatonoo » 29 Oct 2014, 19:58

Would you suggest this game to a person who doesn't have much time to play, but when he has time he goes into a completly sadist non-sleeping gaming rampage? Lol
On a more serious note..I'm currently looking for a serious&fun game but I really don't have much time to be farming like most mmo's.
Logging in at X hours to do X event or run X dungeon.... with this game, being a sandbox, that won't really happen, I'm guessing.
Will I be able to enjoy this game even if I don't have time to sit and play it for 24/7?

Thanks (:

Josheru

Re: Will you recommend this game to a pseudo-casual gamer?

Post by Josheru » 30 Oct 2014, 03:37

Right now the game favors people with nearly unlimited free time. When things like land claiming become more fleshed out, logging in occasionally will likely have less of a negative impact on gamers.

If all else fails, you can make your own private server until a more agreeable patch rolls through.

Diepotatonoo

Post by Diepotatonoo » 30 Oct 2014, 05:03

Josheru wrote:Right now the game favors people with nearly unlimited free time. When things like land claiming become more fleshed out, logging in occasionally will likely have less of a negative impact on gamers.

If all else fails, you can make your own private server until a more agreeable patch rolls through.

I'm looking forward to the full experience. If I make my own server it will be like minecraft in my opinion. Playing alone or with few friends it gets boring after a while even though this game has to offer a lot of stuff the lack of a medium-big community will hurt my gaming experience. Either way thanks for your comment :)

TheInfestation

Post by TheInfestation » 30 Oct 2014, 15:06

If you liked minecraft, but wished it had a bit more realism and detail. Then this is the game for you, however, I don't think in its current state id recommend buying it at its price tag. I do however, think this game is going to be great, but I'd hold off for a little longer.

Josheru

Post by Josheru » 30 Oct 2014, 19:12

TheInfestation wrote:If you liked minecraft, but wished it had a bit more realism and detail. Then this is the game for you, however, I don't think in its current state id recommend buying it at its price tag. I do however, think this game is going to be great, but I'd hold off for a little longer.

I honestly don't mind the price tag. Even if development stopped at this very second, the game was already worth 40 bucks to me.

Diepotatonoo

Post by Diepotatonoo » 30 Oct 2014, 22:42

TheInfestation wrote:If you liked minecraft, but wished it had a bit more realism and detail. Then this is the game for you, however, I don't think in its current state id recommend buying it at its price tag. I do however, think this game is going to be great, but I'd hold off for a little longer.

I'm trying to find a decent sandbox. Tried a few of them like mc, mo, wurm... then I discovered lif and I just fell in love with it

Zourin

Post by Zourin » 01 Nov 2014, 08:31

I wouldn't even recommend this "game" to anyone. It's too broken in its current state to even casually suggest for the most stubborn and commitment driven gamer. It's an alpha, but it's picked a steep slope for its initial ascent. I don't give "alpha" games a free 'it's good' unless it's 'good' now. It's not. Is it worth keeping an eye on? Sure. It can be a good game, but it will require a lot of regular attention and commitment by the Devs to finish what they started.

If you and 3-4 friends want to have a second job together, you have broken skill chains and incessant co-dependancy roadblocks mounted on top of the pointless war-waging 'us vs them' gameplay that has failed to uphold other titles like Starforge and Rust. Only unlike them, you're under the boot for weeks if you're new to the server and the steel-clad locals are pvp-happy goons who stumble on the pile of rags and dirt you call a 'claim'.

For those without the cadre of like-minded companions, self sufficiency doesn't exist except on modified server settings. Self-hosting a server is a lengthy, oft-broken process that may eventually load into a fruitless and broken-feature ridden timesink.

Most problems seem really easy to address in short form. Many, like breeding, wolves/combat, and broken buildings (eg, quern stone and metal trap) would seem to be very easy fixes since their base functionality is already in place elsewhere. Other issues will require some time and humility. Player self sufficiency is a problem. Even if you're playing with friends, there isn't a whole lot you can do if you're the only one logged in at the time. Skill progression is far from a dead issue. Animal Lore is mostly broken and sits as a mandatory requirement for a massive array of implemented tools.

Life-Yo, at the rate it is going, needs another 6 months to a year to work out its kinks at best. That's the best case scenario if they actually listen to player feedback and quickly address many of their poor initial design choices (which only become 'placeholders' if they're actually fixed).

Ontrose
Devoted Believer

Post by Ontrose » 01 Nov 2014, 13:11

Well, at first i thought the guy above me was quite unfriendly etc, since i started to read in the mid.
But honestly, he got some points.
It is an alpha, a really really early one.
There are LOADS of problems, which are adressed, nad hopefully worked on.
Right now, if you want a finished product, you should NOT buy it right now.
This is a work in progress, but patches and fixed come out on a rather regular base.
The thing is, they got (like already mentioned) LOADS of problems right now, which needs fixing.
If you want an indication, how the team is progressing, look at the latest updates, and you can see they are working on it.

But i personally think, they are on the right way, with the right goals.
Yes, there are some things, which they should implement in a different way, but lets take Animal Lore.
Its "broken" due to the fact, that breeding is not effectivly implemented yet.
Same goes for the Sheeps, Cows, Horses etc.
So right now you have to level with rabbit/chicken shit and chicken eggs.
No way around it.

The way i see it, right now they are bughunting, crash fixing and of course working on the performance. Tahts the right thing to to i think.
The staff is rather small, so such things take a while, and its better to make the way it is right now, running relatively smoothly, instead of implementing new stuff.

Jalpha

Post by Jalpha » 02 Nov 2014, 18:20

I think there is definitely room for the casual gamer who wants to avoid the grindy aspects and focus on PvP. I don't think you will find what you are looking for without joining a group though, and the experience will be pretty poor until the release of the MMO.

Just about every grinder I have come across in the game so far is reluctant to PvP. When the MMO arrives I think they will come to see how valuable casual PvP types can be to them.

Ontrose
Devoted Believer

Post by Ontrose » 14 Nov 2014, 17:13

Uhm, well...
"is reluctant to go PVP"...
There are reasons for it.

#1 Karma system: -50 and you cant raise it. You will lose loads of skillpoints on death then. 100+ if you got some you can lose. Which hurts player, or well "grinder" much more then some "i log in and go kill guys" player.

#2 The PvP is helllike bugged and incomplete. Hitboxes ARE crap right now, doesnt matter if you take the char hitboxes or the weapon/shield hitboxes.
There was a time where you can onehit a fullplated guy with a pitchfork. So why bother with it, if its that broken?

#3 Many people prefer to build and create instead of destroy and fight. Thats why many are here, instead of playing one of the x-hundret PvP games aka Rust,DayZ.... you know that games.

Yes it is a medieval game, but it is an RPG.
Lets say 30 people stranding on an island for whatever reason.
What do they do? OF COURSE! gettin pitchforkes etc and killing each other?

That are my five cent to that "reluctant to pvp".
Its like complaining in Rust, that people kill on sight...

Return to Newcomer Section