Why is uprooting so long?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
Hogweed

Why is uprooting so long?

Post by Hogweed » 20 Nov 2014, 19:29

Hi,

I am very confused why uprooting is 30 seconds!! It seems to me that uprooting is something that you want everyone to be doing!

Every game I have played on several servers I have always seen stumps all over the place. This slows down the server, and this is a big problem for servers that have a lot of people on them.

And besides, it makes no sense to have that much wasted time to do something so menial. To sit and wait 30 seconds for every stump, when you have to cut dozens of them it wastes so much time... It is just completely pointless, and does nothing but prevent people from removing them, and clogs up the server.

You should make this a 6 or 7 second timer, and give some small wood reward so people will WANT to cut them down.

I have found myself removing less and less of them, since I mostly play alone, and dont want to waste all that time removing them. I just cant image anyone who would not mind spending so much time on that.

Please consider lowering the time and offering a reward for cutting them. It just seems so illogical to me to make that one of the longest times for such a meaningless task that only contributes to one of your biggest issues, server load times and lag.

VindicteMortis
True Believer

Re: Why is uprooting so long?

Post by VindicteMortis » 20 Nov 2014, 19:49

its difficult to uproot a tree

Hogweed

Post by Hogweed » 20 Nov 2014, 20:28

Well, Teleporting is difficult for us to do too, but we can jump across the map in one second.

Why was teleporting introduced? TO SAVE TIME PERHAPS??????

This long uprooting time only defeats the whole purpose to try to save time, all the while making the game that much more boring and frustrating, as well as causing so many people to leave stumps. I recently saw on one server a huge area of cut trees and dozens upon dozens of stumps. The server load time was almost 5 minutes! And it crashed constantly.

It only makes sense to cut down menial tasks. So many people have fled this game already, because of all the time people waste doing such boring repetitious tasks, I have heard many complaints that this game is just too slow and boring from a number of people.

You know, for the developers and those who make the decisions, you have to ask yourself, do you want to sell a lot of these games to a wide audience? Or just a handful to a few people who like very slow games. You need to look at games like minecraft, which are similar, and see why they are so successful. Most gamers do not have a lot of patience. I do, and I am steadily losing patience with this game.

So I will say this again, you need to make the boring repetitious tasks faster, as few people enjoy doing them over and over again. Increase the time for the more advanced stuff, as there is much more excitement in making them, and they have higher satisfaction rewards.

I really hope they will read this and listen to it, as I have been playing PC games since 1995, and have played Hundreds of them. And I know what makes a game that will stand the test of time.
As much I like this game and the potential it has, I find it harder and harder to want to restart the game all over, DREADING having to do all that terraforming, stumps, fiber, and other really boring stuff that takes too long. Minecraft made it fun because it make resource gathering much quicker, and focused on the building and expanding aspects.

Please fix the times!

Willbonney
True Believer

Post by Willbonney » 20 Nov 2014, 21:18

The areas of cut trees is often someone "weeding" out bad trees looking for better quality ones to take sprouts from.

Edited to add: Also, stuff isn't complete yet. For a lot of tasks there will be "mini-games" of sorts to add flavor to the game. Think you'll be allowed to do it auto, but doing so manually and doing the mini-game will give output bonuses and such.

SolaceDevotio

Post by SolaceDevotio » 20 Nov 2014, 22:10

I was surprised that it was so easy to uproot trees. This is a game that is meant to reflect realism and uprooting stumps is very hard in real life.

Besides, I tend to leave stumps to let others know that my area is already occupied before I get buildings up so that they don't encroach on my building site. :)

I'm sure they don't cause worse lag than the trees they replace. So I can't see that they would be causing any harm sticking around for awhile.

Tymefor

Post by Tymefor » 20 Nov 2014, 22:10

While I agree the 30secs seem a bit long its not really that bad. I mean even if you had to dig up 30 stumps that only 15mins say 20 with running around. That's not really that long in the grand scheme of this game, and it really not that often you need to do 30 or more stumps all at once.

The problem is that its frakking boring, and theres not really any reward to doing it. I mean unless you actually need to build on the land with the stump, why bother digging it up. If you need a cell for something just choose another lol.

Digging up a stump needs to provide a more tangible reward than just aesthetics, build options and skill gain. I'd suggest something as simple as 5-10 billets. Some people have thrown the idea around about a fishing lure being tied to it. which sounds great but seems like a lot of work for devs to introduce. Billets would be enough for me, I mean you would generally burn roots when you dug them up so it fits RP wise.

DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » 21 Nov 2014, 02:43

I would agree that the time should be lowered.

While digging up tree stumps in reality is a tedious or difficult task, simply in terms of mechanical difficulty it should not be a high-time-using, or high-priority requiring task.

I would imagine many tasks which are in game would take near as much time as removing a stump, yet they take less time for the sake of gameplay.

I say this mostly on principle of economy of scale making removing stumps a fairly unimportant part of the game, and this one that has no reason to take a long time, and from an engine consideration of removing what- albeit small- lag that having unneeded entities around causes.

Either that or give them a natural decay time so they rot out in a few in game days.

VindicteMortis
True Believer

Post by VindicteMortis » 21 Nov 2014, 15:10

Hogweed wrote:Well, Teleporting is difficult for us to do too, but we can jump across the map in one second.

Why was teleporting introduced? TO SAVE TIME PERHAPS??????

This long uprooting time only defeats the whole purpose to try to save time, all the while making the game that much more boring and frustrating, as well as causing so many people to leave stumps. I recently saw on one server a huge area of cut trees and dozens upon dozens of stumps. The server load time was almost 5 minutes! And it crashed constantly.

It only makes sense to cut down menial tasks. So many people have fled this game already, because of all the time people waste doing such boring repetitious tasks, I have heard many complaints that this game is just too slow and boring from a number of people.

You know, for the developers and those who make the decisions, you have to ask yourself, do you want to sell a lot of these games to a wide audience? Or just a handful to a few people who like very slow games. You need to look at games like minecraft, which are similar, and see why they are so successful. Most gamers do not have a lot of patience. I do, and I am steadily losing patience with this game.

So I will say this again, you need to make the boring repetitious tasks faster, as few people enjoy doing them over and over again. Increase the time for the more advanced stuff, as there is much more excitement in making them, and they have higher satisfaction rewards.

I really hope they will read this and listen to it, as I have been playing PC games since 1995, and have played Hundreds of them. And I know what makes a game that will stand the test of time.
As much I like this game and the potential it has, I find it harder and harder to want to restart the game all over, DREADING having to do all that terraforming, stumps, fiber, and other really boring stuff that takes too long. Minecraft made it fun because it make resource gathering much quicker, and focused on the building and expanding aspects.

Please fix the times!

Eve Online the worlds most successful MMO deliberately included tedious time sinks.

What players think they want, and what they actually need in a game are not the same thing.

Willbonney
True Believer

Post by Willbonney » 22 Nov 2014, 17:19

Another thing I wanted to add is I personally don't think Logging is truly fully implemented. If you look at skill levels 90 and 100, it states you should be able to find rare ingredients in trees. Now, I'm not sure when that is supposed to occur, either when chopping down or uprooting, but I have personally never found any ingredients when logging. And trust me, I've done quite a bit and have been 100 in the skill for quite some time.

Puschpa

Post by Puschpa » 23 Nov 2014, 07:59

Willbonney wrote:Another thing I wanted to add is I personally don't think Logging is truly fully implemented. If you look at skill levels 90 and 100, it states you should be able to find rare ingredients in trees. Now, I'm not sure when that is supposed to occur, either when chopping down or uprooting, but I have personally never found any ingredients when logging. And trust me, I've done quite a bit and have been 100 in the skill for quite some time.

Probably those rare ingredients are not yet implemented, at least not for all skills. Or they only drop from QL 100 resources?

XeenMcKenna

Post by XeenMcKenna » 23 Nov 2014, 13:13

Ever hook a pickup truck to a stump and try to pull it out?

Willbonney
True Believer

Post by Willbonney » 23 Nov 2014, 17:40

Puschpa wrote:
Willbonney wrote:Another thing I wanted to add is I personally don't think Logging is truly fully implemented. If you look at skill levels 90 and 100, it states you should be able to find rare ingredients in trees. Now, I'm not sure when that is supposed to occur, either when chopping down or uprooting, but I have personally never found any ingredients when logging. And trust me, I've done quite a bit and have been 100 in the skill for quite some time.

Probably those rare ingredients are not yet implemented, at least not for all skills. Or they only drop from QL 100 resources?

All my trees around my "property" have been 100q for 3-4 weeks now. So not it.

DaVinchi

Post by DaVinchi » 23 Nov 2014, 22:35

Tree stumps should have a degradation "aging" system to them which makes them easier to pull out when they get older. this would reflect realism and make it easier to up root stumps.

Tymefor

Post by Tymefor » 23 Nov 2014, 22:46

I really don't see how 30 secs seems so bad. Seriously how often are you going to have to do it? 30 stumps is 15mins. Really 15mins for clearing is nothing compared to the amount of time Im sure you have all put into terraforming.

Return to General Discussion