Whats going on LIF....???

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

Wildherb69

Whats going on LIF....???

Post by Wildherb69 » 04 Jan 2015, 18:55

Whats going on LIF...? After supporting this project since its release putting in almost a 1000 hours on many different servers, when are they going to sort out the real issues...the lag on every server has almost rendered the game unplayable...due to it not being able to cope with terraforming...as soon as you get a few ppl on a server it starts to become increasingly laggy and over the last couple of weeks virtualy unplayable... this is very disapointing as it has the potential to become a fantastic game...so instead of implementing jewelry which cant be used why not sort the lag problems...many servers are now not allowing tunneling amongst other things just to cut down on the lag...which sort of defeats the point of the game..i have seen the numbers of players and servers drop dramatically over the past few weeks at this rate there will be no-one left playing it which will be a great shame...so come on Devs sort the basics out first and get the game running smoothly before implementing anything else... because i really cant see this working very well when you have thousands of ppl on...

Larrykray2005

Re: Whats going on LIF....???

Post by Larrykray2005 » 04 Jan 2015, 19:03

We was getting server lag every night/day but now we have more players and buildings it lags during the day now. Only way to fix the lag is to wipe the server and start again which makes players not wont to play anymore. Needs a new game engine as this one cant cope with it. God forbid they use it for the MMO cos it will be so laggy they will have wipe there server every week. Please fix as its a Great game. :(

Shynx

Post by Shynx » 06 Jan 2015, 03:07

i may not have logged thousands of hours, but steam tells me its been 563. i adore the idea behind this game, but i stopped playing a couple weeks ago and visiting the forum a few days ago.

the emote patch was what broke the camels back for me. there are both glaring bugs and issues as well as features everyone is waiting for, and im sure emotes didnt make any of those lists.
add to that the deafening silence in the forums (not sure ive even seen a single thread with a dev response), and to me it just seems like they are in over their heads. not even a god damn roadmap.

pretty sure the netcode needs a complete rewrite, as does the terraforming engine with its ridiculously expanding database, and i dont think they have the time or money for that.

so im closing my lif tab for good. maybe ill look at the game again in a couple months and it surprises me, but i wont hold my breath.

just my 2 cents

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 06 Jan 2015, 16:58

Shynx wrote:i may not have logged thousands of hours, but steam tells me its been 563. i adore the idea behind this game, but i stopped playing a couple weeks ago and visiting the forum a few days ago.

the emote patch was what broke the camels back for me. there are both glaring bugs and issues as well as features everyone is waiting for, and im sure emotes didnt make any of those lists.
add to that the deafening silence in the forums (not sure ive even seen a single thread with a dev response), and to me it just seems like they are in over their heads. not even a god damn roadmap.

pretty sure the netcode needs a complete rewrite, as does the terraforming engine with its ridiculously expanding database, and i dont think they have the time or money for that.

so im closing my lif tab for good. maybe ill look at the game again in a couple months and it surprises me, but i wont hold my breath.

just my 2 cents

Nice passive/aggressive attempt at forcing things to be done your way there bro. Do you hold your breath too?

The emotes that were added was only part of the patch, but don't let that hinder your righteous fury. Or the fact that multiple developers are involved in building this game and that they work in paralleled projects (That means they work on different things in the game).

Even though the developer who was working on the emotes was ready to release their work, I suppose it would have been reasonable for him to withhold that work just because this alpha game still has a few rough edges.

Maybe it's just me, but do you think, perchance, that you may just be getting tired of playing LIF and need to take a break? I guess not, much more easy to blame others for your frustration.

Anyhow, just wanted to pat you on the back, tell you it'll be 'ok', and that we'll miss you and support your decision. Hope to see you soon.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Rynea

Post by Rynea » 12 Jan 2015, 19:11

Shynx makes very good points here, and is just stating facts totally unrelated to passive agressiveness, no matter if you want to hear it or not.

1) Theres no proper QA
How else would you explain that we see things like stone fences that are 5 times as high as every other stone fence in the game, seriously did anyone even log into the game and build one of these things before rolling it out?

2) Community relations on these forums is sadly lacking a lot. We have no idea what the devs are currently working on, have no idea what is to come, generally are left in the dark if anyone even reads these feedback forums at all.

3) We have major gamebreaking issues that are not adressed at all for months. At least some notice that they look into it would be nice. This includes freezing and performance issues like crop cycles and terraforming, as well as database corruption that basically blow bigger servers up every few weeks to months, not to speak of highly important features like being able to deconstruct buildings without admin help, or removing tunnels. Bugtracker gets no feedback, forums get no feedback. I've seen like a 2 liner about tunnel closing for GM's a long time ago then silence again.

The frustration that comes up is purely made of lack of feedback from the dev team side. If they would come up and let us know they work on some of the bigger issues that would make a lot of people relax here. Instead theres a ton of silence with updates most people don't care about.

That seems unfair to the person making these emotes, because they might, seen as itself, be really nice, but if people have to worry about being able to play at all, then sadly emotes don't help at all to assure a community, especially one that paid for the development and expects development to move forward.

This is not about missing features oft a game, not about bugs that prevent players from playing a finished game. It's about trust the players gave the devs and paid for to see a good game in the future. Currently the way development is handled, or at least how it is communicated to the supporters is having many worried.

Development delays are ok, bugs and missing features are ok. Bugs and problems everywhere and no feedback on how to approach it all, no roadmap on when we can see that the devs are not just twiddling their thumbs is not ok.

I'm pretty sure they don't just go on month long vacations and do a good job, but someone has to communicate that, otherwise it makes no difference to the community.

DenRaanson

Post by DenRaanson » 12 Jan 2015, 19:38

I admit, I may have inaccurate information, however;

Is not the developers/game company in Germany?

If so, could the German language forum be where they are most active in replying to posts/concerns/rants? (I can't read German to find out for myself.)

Just a couple of idle thoughts from a mind with nothing better to do as RL is on hold atm. :)

HolyCrusader
Beta Tester

Post by HolyCrusader » 12 Jan 2015, 20:10

Azzerhoden wrote:
Shynx wrote:i may not have logged thousands of hours, but steam tells me its been 563. i adore the idea behind this game, but i stopped playing a couple weeks ago and visiting the forum a few days ago.

just my 2 cents

Nice passive/aggressive attempt at forcing things to be done your way there bro. Do you hold your breath too?

The emotes that were added was only part of the patch, but don't let that hinder your righteous fury. Or the fact that multiple developers are involved in building this game and that they work in paralleled projects (That means they work on different things in the game).

Even though the developer who was working on the emotes was ready to release their work, I suppose it would have been reasonable for him to withhold that work just because this alpha game still has a few rough edges.

Maybe it's just me, but do you think, perchance, that you may just be getting tired of playing LIF and need to take a break? I guess not, much more easy to blame others for your frustration.

Anyhow, just wanted to pat you on the back, tell you it'll be 'ok', and that we'll miss you and support your decision. Hope to see you soon.

Actually the server performance issues is probably issue #1 for most administrators. Unfortunately I think the devs have mis-prioritized the issues. This is probably because there are fewer administrators than players and players make the lions share of bug complaints and their issues are priority. That's why when you go to the LiF error reporting site, the top 25 issues are all client-side issues/bugs.

What you are doing by discrediting him is drawing attention away from a real problem just so you can get your brownie points with the devs.

HolyCrusader
Beta Tester

Post by HolyCrusader » 12 Jan 2015, 20:16

Rynea wrote:Shynx makes very good points here, and is just stating facts totally unrelated to passive agressiveness, no matter if you want to hear it or not.

1) Theres no proper QA
How else would you explain that we see things like stone fences that are 5 times as high as every other stone fence in the game, seriously did anyone even log into the game and build one of these things before rolling it out?

2) Community relations on these forums is sadly lacking a lot. We have no idea what the devs are currently working on, have no idea what is to come, generally are left in the dark if anyone even reads these feedback forums at all.

3) We have major gamebreaking issues that are not adressed at all for months. At least some notice that they look into it would be nice. This includes freezing and performance issues like crop cycles and terraforming, as well as database corruption that basically blow bigger servers up every few weeks to months, not to speak of highly important features like being able to deconstruct buildings without admin help, or removing tunnels. Bugtracker gets no feedback, forums get no feedback. I've seen like a 2 liner about tunnel closing for GM's a long time ago then silence again.

The frustration that comes up is purely made of lack of feedback from the dev team side. If they would come up and let us know they work on some of the bigger issues that would make a lot of people relax here. Instead theres a ton of silence with updates most people don't care about.

That seems unfair to the person making these emotes, because they might, seen as itself, be really nice, but if people have to worry about being able to play at all, then sadly emotes don't help at all to assure a community, especially one that paid for the development and expects development to move forward.

This is not about missing features oft a game, not about bugs that prevent players from playing a finished game. It's about trust the players gave the devs and paid for to see a good game in the future. Currently the way development is handled, or at least how it is communicated to the supporters is having many worried.

Development delays are ok, bugs and missing features are ok. Bugs and problems everywhere and no feedback on how to approach it all, no roadmap on when we can see that the devs are not just twiddling their thumbs is not ok.

I'm pretty sure they don't just go on month long vacations and do a good job, but someone has to communicate that, otherwise it makes no difference to the community.

Agreed with all your points

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 12 Jan 2015, 22:13

Rynea wrote:<snipped to safe screen space>

I have no issues with the points, my issue is the way they were delivered.

To answer your points:
1) Quality QA is generally related to a finished product, not an alpha. This game sold far, far more copies than the devs anticipated, which may not be known to those who had not been following the game prior to LIF:YO going out.

2) (and related to an earlier statement as to where the devs are). The devs are in Europe, but a bit further east then Germany (They are Russian), and from what I have been told, not all are fluent in English, which would be why there is not more communication on the forums.

3) The 'game breaking' issues you are referring to vary according to server hardware. The private server I had been running was single core with 2 gig of memory (half the requirements recommended). For a few players it was fine, but once all the animals were added (and we started averaging a lot more players on), performance deteriorated. After upgrading to 3 gig of ram, things were better until the server started being further developed. We recently upgraded to a virtual 2 core / 4 gig system, and I noticed that despite moving the server from the west coast to the east coast (and kicking animal count to 250), my performance substantially improved (rough estimate is doubled). I also noticed that the full capacity of the server is not fully being utilized, so increasing the number of cores or memory may not be beneficial with the current build of LIF:YO

Given the various images/video clips showing the level of terraforming that has taken place, I think it is safe to assume that LIF:YO is being put through some strenuous capacity testing, which is raising issues that is catching the devs by surprise. With the way that terraforming has been implemented, making substantial changes to that core functionality will take a lot of work, and time.

Which takes me back to my issue with that previous poster. This is *still* an *alpha*. The most polished *alpha* I have ever seen, and I dare say ever released to general availability. Issues with the game should absolutely be raised and discussed, but there is no need to get frustrated.

After all, it isn't like folks weren't told of this *before* they purchased the game. The launch of the MMO is still most likely a year away. :)

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Tantal
Alpha Tester

Post by Tantal » 13 Jan 2015, 08:41

Rynea wrote:The frustration that comes up is purely made of lack of feedback from the dev team side. If they would come up and let us know they work on some of the bigger issues that would make a lot of people relax here. Instead theres a ton of silence with updates most people don't care about.

I agree with you in this point. (And maybe a little with your statement 1 about the QA, although this has no priority for me, because we are here for testing)

During the MMO Pre-Alpha tests the comunication was better. And community enjoyed it a lot, because actually the comunication was exceptionally good. Maybe coming back to this level would be a good idea. Especially when content like the guild claim system is anounced for new year and it is a little delayed.
It would calm down the people.

Other than this, I am very happy with the ongoing of the development. Good work guys! :beer:

Ternyllwg

Post by Ternyllwg » 14 Jan 2015, 08:00

Twiztedmike wrote:Actually the server performance issues is probably issue #1 for most administrators. Unfortunately I think the devs have mis-prioritized the issues. This is probably because there are fewer administrators than players and players make the lions share of bug complaints and their issues are priority. That's why when you go to the LiF error reporting site, the top 25 issues are all client-side issues/bugs.

What you are doing by discrediting him is drawing attention away from a real problem just so you can get your brownie points with the devs.

My number one issue as an administrator is connectivity. It troubles my mind to hear others say it speeds the loading of the game world to open internet explorer and makes the gears inside my head turn wondering if Qt is not calling the proper inet DLL in such a way that makes steam happy thereby causing the steam connectivity issues that I have experienced personally...

But in general...what they have delivered to us in the unknown amount of time they have spent is either miraculous or at least mind blowing. In this sense LiF cannot be compared to MO IMO.
NORAD.

Steeloverseer

Post by Steeloverseer » 16 Jan 2015, 21:01

Me and my freinds got LIF because we thought it was the full released version (MMO).

Let me tell you I was sad when I logged in to see a list of private servers >_>

The reason LIF YOsold so many copy's is because the devs didnt diferentiate enough between LIF MMO and LIF YO, They just pulled the "YO" crap out of nowhere and threw it up on steam.
Lots of people thought it was the normal MMO version they had expected being released(the only one we had heard about) , and bought it.

What they did basically was this:

Tell children your baking a chocolate cake for them.
Dont tell chiclren your also making plain spinach.
Yell out door at playing children "FOODS READY"
Kids come in happy to have some cake, only to find out that they are having spinach now and cake will have to wait till later.

Id call that a bait and switch any day of the week.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 16 Jan 2015, 21:25

Steeloverseer wrote:Me and my freinds got LIF because we thought it was the full released version (MMO).

Let me tell you I was sad when I logged in to see a list of private servers >_>

The reason LIF YOsold so many copy's is because the devs didnt diferentiate enough between LIF MMO and LIF YO, They just pulled the "YO" crap out of nowhere and threw it up on steam.
Lots of people thought it was the normal MMO version they had expected being released(the only one we had heard about) , and bought it.

What they did basically was this:

Tell children your baking a chocolate cake for them.
Dont tell chiclren your also making plain spinach.
Yell out door at playing children "FOODS READY"
Kids come in happy to have some cake, only to find out that they are having spinach now and cake will have to wait till later.

Id call that a bait and switch any day of the week.

Let me call a great big BS on what you wrote.

It has been made crystal clear, in multiple areas of these forums, as well as in the discussion area for the game, and even in the disclaimer when you bought the game, what you were purchasing.

If you and your friends are not able to comprehend what any of that means, then maybe, perchance, the issue lies solely with the person you see in the mirror.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 16 Jan 2015, 21:35

Twiztedmike wrote:What you are doing by discrediting him is drawing attention away from a real problem just so you can get your brownie points with the devs.

On the contrary. My issue(s) are exactly what I said they were. That's why I said what I said, and will always do so.

Return to Feedback Section