My experience with Life Is Feudal, and my biggest problem

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

Moopshoop

My experience with Life Is Feudal, and my biggest problem

Post by Moopshoop » 31 Jan 2015, 07:51

I got Life is Feudal: Your Own a while ago, played it for a bit, but then took a break from it to play other games. So recently, I've finally decided to sit down for a while and play it a lot. And I was really disappointed. The best way I can put it is that it feels too much like one of those mobile phone MMOs. In other words, you need to wait an eternity to do anything interesting. I think I spent more time repeating the same task over and over again rather than actually building, farming or doing anything this game advertised.

Let me explain in my experience with building my first house, a plaster shack to be specific. So, in order to start, I had to gather enough materials to make the basic tools. It was incredibly boring waiting for an eternity to gather grass fiber, and several times, I was met with a message telling me that I found nothing. Then came the long quest to build a primitive hammer. All that I needed was 1 simple rock. Unfortunately, my character needed terraforming at level 60 in order to tunnel, the only way to find a rock, unless you luck out and find rocks you can shovel with your shovel. Which meant I spent the next half an hour shoveling dirt in and out of holes in order to level up my skills enough.

Once I finally got all of the necessary tools, next came the need for my building preparation skill to level 60. This is by far the worst experience this game has ever given me. I spent the entire day digging up rocks to shape them, over and over and over and OVER until I finally had my skill high enough. I'm surprised I didn't just quit right there.

Getting to carpentry wasn't that bad, as there were plenty of trees to level up my woodcutting skill, and my forestry skill was already pretty high from snapping off several branches to build primitive tools.

Then came leveling the land. Similar to the terraforming part, it was very long and tedious. When my wooden shack was finally done, I was already incredibly bored by the game. I decided that my next goal was to upgrade my house to the next tier, but I quit playing before that could happen. It was just way too boring for me. I needed to get my construction skill up, but the only way was to collect thousands of sticks to build basic stick fences, and lots of them before I could construct anything else. I also needed to up my skills in prospecting, mining, smelting, forging in order to get Iron for the doors and nails I needed, and also level up herbalist in order to make flux. After discovering how horrifically long it took to dig tunnels just to get to iron, I finally quit. I couldn't find any more enjoyment in the game. It was just too repetitive. And the server I was on had almost all of the speeds doubled, with the skill gain speeds quatrupled.

My biggest problem with the game is that several parts are just way too tedious. Repeating actions over and over early game really burn me out later game, and finding out that there are more of these tedious tasks up ahead really turned me off to the game. I know you can join towns and groups to help ease up the amount of work that you have to do, but let's face it: Just about every new player will have to go through this same tedious cycle, unless they want to be a freeloader. This also makes me a bit worried about the MMO. I can understand skill gain taking a while in the MMO. Nobody should be able to max out everything in just a full day of playing. What really worries me is if the devs are going to keep this same action of "repeat this action until skill is high enough" for the mmo. It's not the rate of skill progression that really bothers me, it's how a lot of the skills only have 1 way to progress.

My recommendation on how to make this better is make it like how I leveled up in forestry. I managed to get my forestry skill to level 60 by gathering the many sticks needed to build the first primitive tools. I liked that. It made the skill progression feel less grindy. Made it felt like I was progressing towards a goal and leveling up the skill at the same time. I guess the same could be said about flattening land for your house, and in turn getting your terraforming high enough to begin tunneling.

I really want to like this game. It's not every day that you come across a half-decent medieval sandbox game. The only problem is that there is way too much grinding to get even the simplest of tasks done. So please, I hope you can fix the skill progression feels more natural and less grindy. For a $40 game, I really expected a lot better

Return to Feedback Section