bows before crossbows

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Wolfhelm

bows before crossbows

Post by Wolfhelm » 07 Mar 2015, 19:27

historically, the bow came first, not the crossbow, by a long long time, well over a thousand years inbetween.

This is our land! post17956/#p17956

Spoonfed

Re: bows before crossbows

Post by Spoonfed » 07 Mar 2015, 20:05

Its not a tech path issue. Its because Crossbows can be put into the hands of the layman and fired with far less training than a proper bowman requires.

Its a training path in a time when both already existed. The order they are in makes perfect sense.

Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Post by Deantwo » 27 Aug 2015, 12:09

Spoonfed wrote:Its not a tech path issue. Its because Crossbows can be put into the hands of the layman and fired with far less training than a proper bowman requires.

Its a training path in a time when both already existed. The order they are in makes perfect sense.

That is true, but I don't understand why anyone would learn both to use a crossbow and a bow.

Crossbow skill would be better suited in the Militia skill line, or all by it self.

But this can be said for almost all skills in the game, the skill prerequisites in this game for the most part makes no sense what-so-ever.
  • Why would a tailor/leatherworker have to learn how to cook or farm?
  • Why would a blacksmith have to know how to mine?
  • Why would a carpenter have to know how to cut down a tree?
  • And don't even get me started on the combat skills... armor anyone?
A lot of the skills in the game would make a lot more sense if they didn't have prerequisites, single little skills rather than skills lines please.
The Foxtail empire successfully defended against the evil space ponies!
Read all about it: Second Invasion of Rævehjerte Repelled

- Shores of Hazeron

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 27 Aug 2015, 13:59

Go on suggestion page, and upvote the "remove the skill tree" suggestion then ;) I'd be happy :D

Varya

Post by Varya » 27 Aug 2015, 14:24

Yea, I also didn't get any sense of realism from the skills whatsoever ;/ Dunno why the game strives to be so realistic in other aspects, but complete fantasy when it comes to skills

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 27 Aug 2015, 14:34

LOL I fear it doesn't strive for realism in combat. Realism in peaceful actiosn like building a shack would be.. gross sometimes. Do you really want to build your shack out of horse shit and dirt ? xD

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 27 Aug 2015, 16:41

Varya wrote:Yea, I also didn't get any sense of realism from the skills whatsoever ;/ Dunno why the game strives to be so realistic in other aspects, but complete fantasy when it comes to skills

It's to help cut back on the 'flavor of the month' abuse from min/maxing. Ultima Online suffered from this, where players would constantly switch between skills because something was tweaked by the devs.

That said, I also agree that the current skill trees make little sense with some skills. Not all skills, as some should be tied together (such as the mounted combat line - minus the armor).

I suggested some changes here, that I tried to implement but unfortunately there are some bugs around changing skill requirements.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 27 Aug 2015, 16:45

Hoshiqua wrote:LOL I fear it doesn't strive for realism in combat. Realism in peaceful actiosn like building a shack would be.. gross sometimes. Do you really want to build your shack out of horse shit and dirt ? xD

Actually, when dried, there is not as much smell (grew up on a small family farm). There is SOME smell, though probably less than the body order from the folks living in those shacks.

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 27 Aug 2015, 16:49

x) Thanks, happy to learn !

For the skill lines, my vision is simple.. Remove any requirements, and lower skillcap, to compensate for the fact that you won't have to spend any points on skills just to get those you really want.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 27 Aug 2015, 17:27

Hoshiqua wrote:x) Thanks, happy to learn !

For the skill lines, my vision is simple.. Remove any requirements, and lower skillcap, to compensate for the fact that you won't have to spend any points on skills just to get those you really want.

Completely agree. Once that skill bug gets fixed, I plan on implementing it on our server.

Heinrich_von_Leipa
Alpha Tester

Post by Heinrich_von_Leipa » 28 Aug 2015, 13:22

It has been discussed a million times but even though I usually keep my mouth shut in this forum, at this one I'll post my opinion: I cannot agree much more.

Please remove ALL of the skill lines at ALL of the skill pages COMPLETELY. You (=devs) advertise, the game would allow players to create a unique character... okay soooort of unique it is, but removing skill bindings would REALLY make each character unique, since every player can skill exactly those things he wants his character to be good at.

The current skill tree does not make sense at all and we ALL know it. Problem is, you can rearrange them as you want, as the skills are now, some just fit in nowhere and so ANY rearranged skilltree would always be a tad weird. The only real solution is to not arrange the skills and let players chose randomly any skills they want to skill up, from start. That is player friendly and realistic.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 28 Aug 2015, 17:18

It just takes a few clicks !

*mercilessly advertising my suggestion* :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

http://lifeisfeudal.com/Discussions/que ... skill-tree

Return to General Discussion