Feedback from a somewhat happy village!

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

DMRage

Feedback from a somewhat happy village!

Post by DMRage » 15 Dec 2015, 16:34

Hello!
I'm the baron of Aldenshire on the Prosperity [US] server. We roll with the MMO settings which makes things very slow and grindy compared to the majority of servers and we've had the game for just over a month now. It's at this point I'd like to compile some thoughts. I'd like to reach out to the development team but I'll also share my thoughts here, as well:

POSITIVE

From Primitive Camp to Town: The process of starting with crappy stone tools, plowing some land, building some campfires and sleeping bags and working up to a legitimate village? Fantastic. It's not too fast, perhaps a tad slow but I can't help but feel if it were too quick that it would lose some of the feeling of success upon completion. Nailed it.

Semi-complex Combat
: Not going to say much here, it's a tad clunky and it might be server lag, but how the combat system works (very Mount and Blade) is fantastic. Stick with it.

Skill System: I'd almost consider merging all of the skills, combat and non-combat into one tree, forcing specialization, but this is fine. It really puts the non-combat skills to the forefront, unlike most games. Honestly, this is really what pulls us all in.

Exploration: Even though the island is pretty small, the rise and fall of villages, random spawn of animals and other discoveries definitely open up a world more than other sandbox games. I'd say the island is a tad too small, but it still works great.
The above things are points of emphasis in our group. We love it. This is stuff we feel shouldn't be lost if/when any changes are made.

NEGATIVE

Bugs: Not every game is perfect, but there are some pretty egregious bugs in the system. The game doesn't seem to be very optimized with many GPUs/drivers and that's alright, it can be fixed but the biggest bug is dying on repeat due to falling inside of a fence, praying back home and falling into a wall, into a terraformed pit of infinite falling death etc... each death inflicts severe skill penalties and repeated basically every second. If you're playing on a server that emulated the MMO, this causes some people to quit. If someone's stuck, they shouldn't die. Especially when the /stuck command doesn't get them out sometimes. This bug is huge, hasn't hit me yet, but it's a huge and game-changing, terrible bug. That and server reset while riding a horse? We've had horses lost to this before. For some reason, you come back, horse isn't there. Just significantly better quality assurance testing is needed.

Flux: It's good that alchemists/herbalists have something that others rely on other than buffs and whatnot but the bottleneck for flux is a huge problem to the point that many people don't even choose to super-specialize but so many people dabble on herbalism for flux alone. There's a point where it's useful and then a point where it's mandatory. It's not completely awful and at least the game still works with the flux system as is, but this can be a problem, combined with the next bit:

Gathering: It's a tad silly. Herbs pop up and you find them, long cast time, repeat ad infinitum. I'd like it better if there was a system closer to how mining/forestry works, where the stuff is out there in the world and more quantity rewarded per gather instead of just a repeated nature's lore/gather loop. Could be worse, slightly tedious.
Terraforming: Any large scale terraforming takes way too long. I'm generally okay with smelting times, forging, farming, animal taming, construction, logging etc... but terraforming is a real chore. Not just a chore as in 'man this'll be fun after I grind this out' It's just not fun. We actually don't mind doing the other professions but flattening shit isn't so bad, it just takes forever. Could be worse, not game-breaking, just boring.

Certain Skill Grinds
- Animal Lore and Construction come to mind, but some are utterly brain melting and others quick and fun. Maybe better parity or something? Masonry provides way better buildings but seems to level faster than construction, animal lore is a huge barrier for advancing the agriculture tree and it deters some people. Could be worse, not game-breaking, only slightly frustrating.

Random Crap
- Honestly, we'd like more clothes, more furniture, we feel plate armor should be in horseback riding and whatever. Not that important compared to other stuff listed above. Quality of life stuff.

Yep, those negatives sound really annoyed. Despite all of this, our village has a combined like a thousand hours between the seven of us in about a month? The developers are doing something right, nay many things right. I also feel that there are a few just misteps and bad QA. The product overall is of solid design and we're going to keep at it! We just hope that some patches come out to mitigate, at the very least, the game-breaking bugs and hopefully some quality of life changes.

Oh and join Prosperity, the server is pretty nice and we've got some angsty pvpers who want more action, some RPers and tons of PvErs. A great mix overall.

Airco

Re: Feedback from a somewhat happy village!

Post by Airco » 15 Dec 2015, 20:22

bugs wil get fixed, i'f ran alot worse games than this in the past that where released for couple of months already.

skilltree is getting alterd they aint keepign the current system.

herbalism is getting the posability to grow its own herbs as the herbalists desires it, when is as far as i know not known yet

random stuf wil get added over time.
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark2
Cpu: intel I5-4690 3.5Ghz
Cpu cooler: thermaltake Frio Extreme Silent 14 Dual
Mem: Corsair 16gb, Cmy16gx3m2a2133c11r
Gpu: Geforce 970, Asus STRIX GTX970 DC2OC 4GD5
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
HD: SAMSUNG 75E250RW SSD 850 EVO 250 GB

DMRage

Post by DMRage » 15 Dec 2015, 20:42

Airco wrote:bugs wil get fixed, i'f ran alot worse games than this in the past that where released for couple of months already.

I hope they get fixed, I love this game... but man. Some of them really discourage some of my friends.

skilltree is getting alterd they aint keepign the current system.

Did they state this anywhere? Just curious.

herbalism is getting the posability to grow its own herbs as the herbalists desires it, when is as far as i know not known yet

That's actually a pretty neat idea.

random stuf wil get added over time.

Assumed, but yeah. Do we have sources from the Devs on some of the specifics?

Airco

Post by Airco » 15 Dec 2015, 21:23

skilltree if i aint wrong wil be whit mmo release, unsertain tho

all the rest nop no timeings

btw check the community (top right) -> "suggestions" it shows stuff people are voteing for to be inplemented in the game
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark2
Cpu: intel I5-4690 3.5Ghz
Cpu cooler: thermaltake Frio Extreme Silent 14 Dual
Mem: Corsair 16gb, Cmy16gx3m2a2133c11r
Gpu: Geforce 970, Asus STRIX GTX970 DC2OC 4GD5
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
HD: SAMSUNG 75E250RW SSD 850 EVO 250 GB

Return to Feedback Section