Medieval plastic, concrete, preparation of wood

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

BartusPL
Alpha Tester

Medieval plastic, concrete, preparation of wood

Post by BartusPL » 26 Jan 2014, 14:17

I read new wiki, and I have some question's:

1.) I don't see concrete to build something frome stone's. It's importatn thing, same like... stone's.
In medieval they made concrete from lime, sand ,and remains of food, animal's, skin's etc.
If more remains then concrete is stronger.
They dig a row, and put there lime and remain's. Later mix with sand.

2.) Medieval plastic.
Used for button's, window's(inexpensive
glass), bucket and all simple thing's like these.
Made from cow horn, just put it in wather and wait a few day. And you get liquid plastic.

3.)Wood preparation.
Before using the wood to build, and crafting, wood must lie some time's. A few day, one day or few houer's in game should be enough. In real wood lie a year or shorter.

Tagaris

Re: Medieval plastic, concrete, preparation of wood

Post by Tagaris » 30 Jan 2014, 01:24

I've never heared of the cow horn material you mentioned. Could you please elaborate or hind me at some literature about this? It sounds very interesting.

BartusPL
Alpha Tester

Post by BartusPL » 30 Jan 2014, 06:22

I hear about this on Polish yt chanel, and see on some polish site, You can translate, there is screen's too.
http://imigrantka.blox.pl/2010/11/Barley-Hall-8211-sredniowieczyny-dom.html

Tagaris

Post by Tagaris » 30 Jan 2014, 20:23

Thank you. If anyone is curious, too, here is the relevant part (automatic translation):

On the opposite side we can see a window made of slices of the corner, (this is a replica of) the windows were very popular in the Middle Ages corner was cheaper than glass. Cow horns were boiled and soaked in water and then cut into long slices, slices were small, because only the central part of the corner was half transparent. You can not look through the window, but it lets light into the interior. (link to image)

After understanding what you meant, I was able to find a book called "Medieval Towns: The Archaeology of British Towns in Their European Setting", which mentions the technique around page 133 and many more things. Very interesting, indeed.

Now, enough with my offtopic though, this thread was about a game design suggestion before I came in. Please excuse me and thanks again.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 30 Jan 2014, 21:11

There is a point when an in-depth crafting system turns to masochism.

You would want a fun, yielding, immersive crafting system, not torture. Why would I want to wait several hours for something so basic as wood to dry?

BartusPL
Alpha Tester

Post by BartusPL » 31 Jan 2014, 14:41

If I can build a town in one month, what I will do later?
Now We don't know how long One person must work to build a simple house, and this is only sugestion.
If construction takes a few hour's maybe it's good solution.
If people can build fast, in one month We have metropolises, it's too easy for My...

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 31 Jan 2014, 15:46

BartusPL wrote:If I can build a town in one month, what I will do later?
Now We don't know how long One person must work to build a simple house, and this is only sugestion.
If construction takes a few hour's maybe it's good solution.
If people can build fast, in one month We have metropolises, it's too easy for My...

The personal claim is limited and guild villages run the constant risk of being sieged.

I seriously doubt that you will be able to build metropolises. Did you see that massive castle and the resources it took to build that mother in the dev video? :D

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 31 Jan 2014, 21:16

Depends on how many people come together.

This is still a video game you don't want to make it into real life and wait for wood to dry and then it get's stolen or burnt and you have to start over. That would just make people quit.

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 01 Feb 2014, 10:41

Quite reasonable.
There should be a balance between realism and arcade that will keep sufficient players in the game. The more realistic the game becomes, the less players stay. And no one is interested neither in small player base nor in WoW clone.

Every production chain should be limited in time and player efforts to complete it and with the craft results? but at the same time it makes sence to make some longer production chains not for common goods but for high tier goods and crafts, such as steel and hard wood.
When a player reaches high skill levels there must be something to keep him playing while he has access to all high level recipes, and longer production chains for high tier crafts make people waste more time on it
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 01 Feb 2014, 11:21

Do You know that to create a perfect bow, the wood needs to rest for a year?

according to your idea, the game is not hardcore, but a second life.

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 01 Feb 2014, 16:08

Now think about it.
If you make a perfect bow for a year, this brings us to a pair of conclusions:
1. In a year all markets will be full of perfect bows and this does not make a big difference for a game.
2. If you walk outside the palisade and loose you bow to a random gang, or your village gets raided and your crafts are destroyed, the only thing in your mind will be SCREW THIS GAME!!!11oneone.

Now tell me who will want this to happen?
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Shealladh
Alpha Tester

Post by Shealladh » 11 Feb 2014, 09:51

Do you want to make fast weapons, break a branch off tree, pick up stone.

Better weapons, order/construct a steel sword, polish once a day and look at your reflection.

Well I agree and disagree with long crafting times, you don't want to have EvE style skills that you hand to your grandchildren to finish off, yet you don't want everyone running around with all the best items.

I guess it comes down to the middle ground and where the Devs see it fitting into their overall plans.

Cost/time to repair the better weapons to add slightly longer durability. ie. caring for a weapon would fix issue.

Maybe you could have 2 or more people needed to make something more complex. Consider wooden planks, the old pit saw needs two people to cut the planks, producing more materials. They still need to dry for X seasons with a chance of warping and even more of a chance to make a ruined plank.

One person making a plank should take say 3 times as long yet will yield better quality depending on skill level.

Being inside a village if I choose, I should be able to goto the lime maker and barter some planks so I can construct my house. Maybe Bartering inside Towns should be mandatory with a tax for the owning Guild?

Return to Suggestions and Ideas