How to prevent players from claiming land and leaving game?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
Ishamael
Alpha Tester

How to prevent players from claiming land and leaving game?

Post by Ishamael » 10 Feb 2014, 19:49

Since the initial model seems to be buy to play, what's to prevent some player calming a plot of really good land and then leaving the game never to return. Will there be any sort of decay for inactivity on claims? I'm still reading the wiki as we speak (so I may not have seen it yet), but I did not see anything about this mentioned.

Also when we claim "cells" do we also claim the rights to the underground area beneath our claimed cells? For instance, do I own the tunnels under my land?

EDIT: In the dynamic forum it's mentioned that there will be a slow decay on houses that are on claimed land, so I guess it just depends on what this decay is? A month? A week? Probably too early to say for now.
Last edited by Ishamael on 11 Feb 2014, 06:55, edited 2 times in total.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Druss
Alpha Tester

Re: How to prevent players from claiming land and leaving ga

Post by Druss » 10 Feb 2014, 20:02

I think it is stated somewhere that there will be upkeep and if its not upkept it will decay very quickly. Not sure if this will be active in alpha already or how it works though.

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 10 Feb 2014, 20:03

Cool. I figured their had to be some system in place I was just making sure.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Druss
Alpha Tester

Post by Druss » 10 Feb 2014, 20:05

Yeah you don't want the land full of ugly abandoned spots where people quit and never come back.

Cloud
Alpha Tester

Post by Cloud » 10 Feb 2014, 20:06

Druss wrote:I think it is stated somewhere that there will be upkeep and if its not upkept it will decay very quickly. Not sure if this will be active in alpha already or how it works though.

That'd be awesome, this will give you a need to log in, even if its for 10 minutes.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 10 Feb 2014, 20:31

Ishamael wrote:Since the initial model seems to be buy to play, what's to prevent some player calming a plot of really good land and then leaving the game never to return. Will there be any sort of decay for inactivity on claims? I'm still reading the wiki as we speak (so I may not have seen it yet), but I did not see anything about this mentioned.

Also when we claim "cells" do we also claim the rights to the underground area beneath our claimed cells? For instance, do I own the tunnels under my land?

It is all complicated, but as far as I can understand/guess you would not own tunnels underneath your claim, but you could dig down from your claim.

That's an educated guess. Let's wait and hear what Bobik has to say about it :D

PabloX

Post by PabloX » 10 Feb 2014, 20:34

I believe there is an option to deny others from changing the surface level of your claim. Thus, people will not be able to start a tunnel in your claim or have one with an exit come out.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 10 Feb 2014, 20:36

PabloX wrote:I believe there is an option to deny others from changing the surface level of your claim. Thus, people will not be able to start a tunnel in your claim or have one with an exit come out.

Yes, indeed, I've read it too. It would per default be impossible for a stranger to dig up into your claim as he would be locked from digging the last 1m to the claimed surface.

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 10 Feb 2014, 20:51

Possible grief tactic, completely dig out every cell underneath a house lol... if the home owner tries to dig down he falls to his death.
—Ishamael

PabloX

Post by PabloX » 10 Feb 2014, 20:56

I think tunnels collapse if they aren't properly supported, so they would have to invest a bit of mine structure to keep that large tunnel going. And they would have to start the tunnel outside that claim. So, very possible but it would take some commitment.

Sensei
Alpha Tester

Post by Sensei » 11 Feb 2014, 03:08

Not quite sure what you mean by "buy to play". I suppose atm some might describe the situation as "buy to test", but I very much doubt if player characters/maps etc would be not reset at various stages of the game development - and especially at release. Testing should not be confused with playing.

On release as it is being discussed now prices will be quite reasonable, and as far as I can tell everyone will have a fairly equal chance at land claims etc.

I do see the point though that if at that stage people start playing, claim land, and stop soon after, some land will become temporarily fairly useless. However - as I'm reading it the entire game will probably center around fighting for good resources, and that would suggest land changing owners fairly often.

Hard to say for sure atm.

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 11 Feb 2014, 05:31

I think you did not understand me. It was mentioned in a previous thread that the current plan is to be free to play with a buy to play component at release
—Ishamael

Sensei
Alpha Tester

Post by Sensei » 11 Feb 2014, 05:44

Do you mean the fee to move to the main island?

Starter island will be free to play I believe, but everyone will have to pay to transfer to the main island.

I would think that would help to prevent "casual" players taking up land on the main island and then simply leaving, as they will have paid to be there.

I do know what you mean though about players building stuff/claiming stuff - and then simply leaving their mess behind. That's actually one of the problems with Wurm

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 11 Feb 2014, 11:36

He was talking about release, yes. The starter island is essentially a demo of the game. You buy the game and get to move to the main island. Buy to play.

As you have to pay upkeep for your claim one can assume an unattended claim will with time decay. Don't think this is going to be an issue at all.

Return to General Discussion