Life Is Feudal Needs More Animal Types

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!
Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Life Is Feudal Needs More Animal Types

Post by Azzerhoden » 21 Jan 2016, 17:25

While I like the types of animals that are in the game currently, I would very much like to see a larger variety of animals in the game. Currently the only animal that provides any sense of danger to an equipped and skilled character is the bear, and really, that's not much of a fight either, even one on one.

So while making the bear (and possibly wolves) tougher would help, what the game really needs is more animals, especially in the MMO. These animals should also be associated with the general terrain type.

So I started a post in the player requested content area with the idea of requesting various animals, one type per post. That way we can vote on those we would like to see added to the MMO (or YO for that matter). Stop by and add your favorites! I added two that might not normally be requested and will wait before posting some others I'd like to see so you have a chance to share your thoughts.

Link is at: http://lifeisfeudal.com/Discussions/question/larger-variety-of-animals
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Re: Life Is Feudal Needs More Animal Types

Post by Azzerhoden » 29 Jan 2016, 18:37

Had some great suggestions for an expansion of animal types. Also had some from me. ;)

So far suggestions have included: Cougars, Komodo Dragons, Mules, Goats, Dogs, Lynx, Lions, Sea Lions, Whales, Rhinoceros, Bison.

So go vote and add your suggestions!

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

HolyCrusader
Beta Tester

Post by HolyCrusader » 29 Jan 2016, 19:31

Azzerhoden wrote:Had some great suggestions for an expansion of animal types. Also had some from me. ;)

So far suggestions have included: Cougars, Komodo Dragons, Mules, Goats, Dogs, Lynx, Lions, Sea Lions, Whales, Rhinoceros, Bison.

I would like to see them logically placed

On Mountains:
- Deer, Ram, Alpaca, Goats

On plains:
- Buffalo
- Gazelle
- Groundhogs
- Rabbits

In Forests:
- Moose
- Wolves
- Cougars
- Squirrels
- Different birds (chickens, ravens, hawks)

Lake
- Alligators
- Pike / whatever random fish

Ocean
- Sharks
- dolphins
- whales
- crabs . shellfish

Anvel

Post by Anvel » 30 Jan 2016, 15:32

Love these ideas

Blackberrygoo

Post by Blackberrygoo » 30 Jan 2016, 16:38

Twiztedmike wrote:
Azzerhoden wrote:Had some great suggestions for an expansion of animal types. Also had some from me. ;)

I would like to see them logically placed

On Mountains:
- Deer, Ram, Alpaca, Goats

On plains:
- Buffalo
- Gazelle
- Groundhogs
- Rabbits

In Forests:
- Moose
- Wolves
- Cougars
- Squirrels
- Different birds (chickens, ravens, hawks)

Lake
- Alligators
- Pike / whatever random fish

Ocean
- Sharks
- dolphins
- whales
- crabs . shellfish

This is literally all we need , hell if we have sharks and whales to hunt in boats for blubber (many many uses) this game would be spiced up by a thousand times ... Also if we could add birds that fly that we can hunt that would be so awesome .

Styxwash
Zealous Believer

Post by Styxwash » 05 Feb 2016, 15:04

Let's start with fixing the animal hit boxes, their horrible AI and the fact that they clip through any kind of wall or building.

Then add more varieties later.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 05 Feb 2016, 15:50

Styxwash wrote:Let's start with fixing the animal hit boxes, their horrible AI and the fact that they clip through any kind of wall or building.

Then add more varieties later.

One is not dependent on the other. They can (and should) be done in parallel. However, animal hit boxes would be considered a bug, and should be reported in Mantis, whereas new animal types are a suggestion, and should be posted here.

Styxwash
Zealous Believer

Post by Styxwash » 05 Feb 2016, 17:39

I'm not reporting bugs, i'm just saying I would prefer if bugs were fixed before adding more content - which is a mistake many game developers make.

Obviously, it would be ideal if we got both content and bug fixes, but there's only so much the dev team can do in a set amount of time, i'm sure we can agree?

I would rather see a clean, bug free launch of the MMO at first, then more content later.

Adding more animal types doesn't really seem important compared to actually making the current animals more functional and pleasing.

Baronandy

Post by Baronandy » 08 Feb 2016, 14:37

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 09 Feb 2016, 23:09

Styxwash wrote:I'm not reporting bugs, i'm just saying I would prefer if bugs were fixed before adding more content - which is a mistake many game developers make.

Some developers work on fixing bugs, while other developers create new content. Modelers (who would create the new animal types) are traditionally a completely different team.

Further, there are not that many animal 'hit boxes' or 'skeletons' that need to be made. Roughly estimating you have:
  • Animals who attack with horns
  • Animals that attack with teeth
  • Animals that attack with claws/hoofs
  • Animals that attack with claws/teeth

Now granted, something like a Komodo Dragon or Skunk would have a special attack (like the bear does), but even these can be grouped, such as a feline pounce. Really, all that needs to be changed is the size of the skeleton model.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 02 Mar 2016, 17:41

Bumping this thread, as the voting page has gotten a bit buried. Again, the purpose of the suggestions is to identify the most popular animals to add to the MMO.

Heinrich_von_Leipa
Alpha Tester

Post by Heinrich_von_Leipa » 02 Mar 2016, 23:40

I totally agree that the variety of animals currently ingame is not exactly huge and should, at some point, be expanded - together with a number of fixes for existing animal-related problems.

However, I also firmly believe that we should not use this as yet another point where we go further away from realism - we have enough unrealistic things in this game already. By that I mean some of the animals listed in this topic. Don't forget after all, that even if a fictional continent, this is a medieval world and you can't erase the fact that the "Middle-Ages" is a timeline bound to a certain geographical area: Europe. And if we keep shouting for realism, then we should at least stick with that historical fact. :-)

Thus adding animals like Alligators, Cougars, Buffalos, Gazelles, etc. is, please don't take offense here, total bullshit. :) I fail to imagine a medieval peasant hunting in the woods for a buffalo. roflmao.

Enough negative talking, aside of a few animals being unrealistic, I entirely support the general idea, though! :beer:

Cosimo
Zealous Believer

Post by Cosimo » 03 Mar 2016, 10:14

Would totally agree we need more animals, but in a medieval setting. When people speak of the Medieval times I hardly can think of Komodo dragons.

I would be happy with an expansion also concerning the sea, perls, corals etc etc. And usage in jewelcrafting which in my opinion is a bit thin.

An expansion on dyes would be good too. Possibly a derivative of hunting those animals, because frankly hunting/fishing are skills I do not use anymore after my stables/barns/coops are full of animals.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 03 Mar 2016, 19:33

Not offended at all Richard. While not in this page, on the voting page I included links to the various animals. I will disagree with the statement that this is centered around medieval Western Europe. One only has to look at the armor designs to see that. If needed, I could point to the concept of 'natives', which clearly relate to encounters between medieval Europe and other locations in the world.

As for the animals:
European Bison (or Wisent)
Snow Leopard
Now I had thought there was a type of Mountain Lion in Russia, but it appears I confused it with the snow leopard. Regardless, having a member of the big cat family roaming the MMO is highly desirable.

The reason for this is to increase the amount of danger from computer generated content and to add an element of 'the hunt' to the game as either part of survival or sport.

That's why my thought process went toward the Komodo Dragon. I admit it's a stretch, but it would add a real animal to the game that would be quite nasty to encounter face to face using hand weapons. Clearly the vote count would indicate I'm the only one who thinks this way. :)

Return to Feedback Section