Why should i use padded armor?

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Hanz_knife
Devoted Believer

Why should i use padded armor?

Post by Hanz_knife » 22 Mar 2016, 19:00

Am I only one who thinks padded armor is useless and just waste of skills when you just want to use poleaxes?

I mean you need spinning wheel, loom, farming lvl 90, flax, tanning tubs, weavers toolkit, water and in general, lot of time to make it, but protection is almost none. You can have regular chain for just few ingots and bars and with better protection or heavy where you need just thin leather....
So my rhetorical question si, why should i use it? Why should anyone use it? For fashion?

So here is my actual suggestion in two variants:

1) Increase slashing ressistance by pretty large amount (gambeson was quite good armor actually)

or

2) Increase blunt ressistance (so it could be counter to mauls)
and also make it cheaper (or make other armors more expensive)
"Jistě, byl to narušitel a nejspíš vrah a s takovými se musí jednat bez milosti. To není jako práce s buzolou děti."

Kael
True Believer

Re: Why should i use padded armor?

Post by Kael » 22 Mar 2016, 21:15

it isnt useless. Padded armour should be used by spearmen, because in direct melee combat every spearmen with a little bit movement can kill any plate armour guy who dont know to manage his stamina

Hanz_knife
Devoted Believer

Post by Hanz_knife » 22 Mar 2016, 23:13

Kael wrote:it isnt useless. Padded armour should be used by spearmen, because in direct melee combat every spearmen with a little bit movement can kill any plate armour guy who dont know to manage his stamina

I know what you mean, but why to use padded at all? I often like to kill noobs naked because i dont risk anything, but padded wont help me much if i will do mistake and if i screw it, i will loose many game hours for nothing...

Also there is no historical reason why should be padded armor so weak.
"Jistě, byl to narušitel a nejspíš vrah a s takovými se musí jednat bez milosti. To není jako práce s buzolou děti."

Kael
True Believer

Post by Kael » 23 Mar 2016, 01:12

padded armor is very weak if you set plate armour as a contrast.

but the metal armors are very cheap in this game.

a steel plate armour or scalre armour should cost like 10 steel ingots on minimum.

So the weak armor get more use

Hanz_knife
Devoted Believer

Post by Hanz_knife » 27 Mar 2016, 14:20

Kael wrote:padded armor is very weak if you set plate armour as a contrast.

a steel plate armour or scalre armour should cost like 10 steel ingots on minimum.

thats what i suggested: make other armors more more expensive... :)

Baronandy

Post by Baronandy » 28 Mar 2016, 21:36

Hanz_knife wrote:
Kael wrote:padded armor is very weak if you set plate armour as a contrast.

thats what i suggested: make other armors more more expensive... :)

could be balanced if you could dodge in padded armor or be able to climb ledders

Barnshaped

Post by Barnshaped » 29 Mar 2016, 19:27

Padded armour should be the more easily available armour as it probably was in reality.

The problem is both in how difficult it is to get linen cloth/wool and how easy it is to turn metal ore into crafted metal.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 29 Mar 2016, 19:49

It's been my idea aaaalll the way to make metal armor expensive and super effective (like you'd not have to worry about arrows, most bolts, most blades, most picks in Q100 full plate), but there is one problem.

You can't keep an item scarce in a full loot game with only a price increase. Think about it : as more metal armors get crafted, more and more will enter the world, and as people know how much they are worth and useful in combat, they're not going to leave them to rot with the corpse of their fallen foes or allies. As such, unless in the event of breaking, metal armors will almost never be lost. The number of them in circulation will gradually increase until basically they become the minima for good PvP. They won't be crafted that often with the price, but still, everyone will end up owning one.

My solution to this was to impose heavy maintenance costs if you wanted to use such armor regularly, so not everyone could really own one at all.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 29 Mar 2016, 20:05

Hanz_knife wrote:
Kael wrote:it isnt useless. Padded armour should be used by spearmen, because in direct melee combat every spearmen with a little bit movement can kill any plate armour guy who dont know to manage his stamina

I know what you mean, but why to use padded at all? I often like to kill noobs naked because i dont risk anything, but padded wont help me much if i will do mistake and if i screw it, i will loose many game hours for nothing...

Also there is no historical reason why should be padded armor so weak.

Intentionally fighting while naked is still an issue that needs to be addressed. In the MMO this will be modified somewhat by the harsh alignment system, but not enough as quality food helps to alleviate the skill loss penalty.

One way to mitigate this is to have any hit against an unarmed foe also cause a slight stun to the unarmed foe. This would better represent the lack or armor absorbing the blow.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Kael
True Believer

Post by Kael » 01 Apr 2016, 11:17

but that is how metal armour was.

a metal armour in medieval time was veeeeeeeeeery expensive.

If you fought against an enemy army and you won, what was the first thing you do? you fladdered the whole deaths and wounded to get the expensive steel.

at last: heavy plate armours should bounce off most of arrows (like 80%) and bolts (like 60%) -

also Plate armour was in medieval times the non-plus-ultra armour you can get.
Even attacks with normal hammers had no effect against it. Thats why they invented mordäxte, halberds and billhooks to get the knights on the ground so they weir avaiable to kill the knight.

Padded armour is harder to get, than an metal armour. thats a reaaaaal point what has to change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnakbB1NTw

as example. thats a normal 14 century armor mostly. And even the blades are not sharp, they hit them with full power and mostly, the attacks has about 0% effect.

Plate armour should be much stronger and cost muuuuuch more in the actual game that they do today.

Jeannedarc
Beta Tester

Post by Jeannedarc » 01 Apr 2016, 13:33

If you take more agility you wont necessarily need the chain. Padded gives you more mobility and will save you from getting one shot by the noob axe, (broad axe).

You need the mobility as a polearm user.

Keep them at a distance. you have a much longer and quicker weapon

Hanz_knife
Devoted Believer

Post by Hanz_knife » 04 Apr 2016, 20:09

Jeannedarc wrote:If you take more agility you wont necessarily need the chain. Padded gives you more mobility and will save you from getting one shot by the noob axe, (broad axe).

You need the mobility as a polearm user.

Keep them at a distance. you have a much longer and quicker weapon

in theory its nice, but its just a theory. I love polearms and high agility, but its very risky and i dont usually use it against more expirienced opponents, one wrong step and you are dead. Keeping distance has hight priority as managing your stamina. But many things can go wrong: he can have high agi too, he can quickly step to you, give you several blunt hits and then luckily hit you with a maul and you are down. Server can lag, your computer may lag... Point is you can kill people like this, but its not worth it, othere weapons and armors can serve you much better. You can kill noobs even with pickaxe if we are talkiíng about it, but thats not the point, back to the topic....

Padded armor can save you from instakill, but still, why should i really use it? I can use armors that have better price/protection value and dont let me start about how time consuming is to have armory full of padded armors in comparsion with for example chain. Not worth it.
Who is really using it? (using it just once per month isnt enough you know)

Ubaciosamse
Beta Tester

Post by Ubaciosamse » 04 Apr 2016, 20:58

Armor material values will be reworked to be more expensive in the future i have been told from a developer a while back. The exact values are unknown to me :Search:

Rodmar
Beta Tester

Post by Rodmar » 06 Apr 2016, 10:33

Making padded armor be as good against slashing as leather is against piercing would make it kinda worth it for high mobility.

Korul

Post by Korul » 06 Apr 2016, 20:06

I think could be a good idea to make instead one "clothes" slot, do 3 for the same armour, i mean, first for cloths only, second for the first armour basic in medieval warfare uses in real, the padded armour, and the third slot for the armour, chainmal or scale or plate, that goes put over the padded. of course when you have more armour put in, padded and plates for example, you gain weigth but more protection than only padded or only plates, and complete more the protection for diferent kinds of damage.

Artoria Pendragon
Zealous Believer

Post by Artoria Pendragon » 25 May 2016, 09:55

Increase blunt ressistance
that is the point
padded armor should resist the blunt damage while this game doesnt
丨Revenge丨Unity丨Brave丨Yeomanry |

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 25 May 2016, 15:23

Increasing any protection value of the padded over the same tier mail / plate wouldn't make sense because in LiF mail and plate armors both have padded underneath and mail in the case of plate.

Price and boost to efficiency of metal armors is still the way to go IMHO, there's no historical or immersion value in trying to design a game where all 5 types are used by approx. the same number of people, and it leads to very much non-realistic balances like there (theorically) is right now.

AlexGrivas

Post by AlexGrivas » 25 May 2016, 19:51

Kael wrote:but that is how metal armour was.

a metal armour in medieval time was veeeeeeeeeery expensive.

If you fought against an enemy army and you won, what was the first thing you do? you fladdered the whole deaths and wounded to get the expensive steel.

at last: heavy plate armours should bounce off most of arrows (like 80%) and bolts (like 60%) -

also Plate armour was in medieval times the non-plus-ultra armour you can get.
Even attacks with normal hammers had no effect against it. Thats why they invented mordäxte, halberds and billhooks to get the knights on the ground so they weir avaiable to kill the knight.

Padded armour is harder to get, than an metal armour. thats a reaaaaal point what has to change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnakbB1NTw

as example. thats a normal 14 century armor mostly. And even the blades are not sharp, they hit them with full power and mostly, the attacks has about 0% effect.

Plate armour should be much stronger and cost muuuuuch more in the actual game that they do today.

after 13 century everyone was using plate in the battlefields

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 25 May 2016, 21:16

after 13 century everyone was using plate in the battlefields

Agreed, but the problem is that this game takes place over a long period of time and they're trying to balance weapons and armors that did not exist at the same time and sometimes were replaced by eachother because they were better.

In LiF, a "realistic" version of plate armor should stay scarce amongst the players for obvious reasons.

AfLIcTeD

Post by AfLIcTeD » 26 May 2016, 02:59

A price increase won't be enough, a few things will need to change in order to balance out the armours. Plate should be like gold, or cows. 2-5% of a guild would be wearing them.
Speed while wearing plate should be changed, I don't care how much strength you have you shouldn't be able to run as fast as someone in chain or leather, period. Or swing a weapon effortlessly. But plate would need to be stronger if you change that.
I also don't think strength should offset the weight penalties as much. If you want to be faster use lighter equipment, shouldn't be able to have the best of both worlds. Speed or defense.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 26 May 2016, 14:38

If you are strong enough, armor doesn't slow you down. Or at least not by its weight, but more because of how the joints are made in the case of rigid plates. However, what it does do is make you tire faster when you're actively fighting - this could be replicated IG by higher swing cost when wearing vambraces / torso of a heavy armor, less poise.. Though it must not be taken to a too big extent or fighting in heavy armor will become unbearable with all the desync / lag involved with running out of breath in LiF. Will also make you too easy of a target if you get stunned every 3 seconds because you're trying to hit someone.

Nohero84
Alpha Tester

Post by Nohero84 » 28 May 2016, 17:21

Then do like this...When using plate armor you can only store few type of items in your inventory. Like potions.. And you cant use bow or crossbow. Or jump.

*don't think a guy can walk with plate armor and a backpack*

Return to Suggestions and Ideas