New Combat Tree

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

GnarlyGnome
Zealous Believer

New Combat Tree

Post by GnarlyGnome » 21 Feb 2017, 15:27

I'm curious about the stability of all these new trees.. my small group of about 8 spent all of last wave to prep the logistics of our town. this wave being only 2 weeks seems even less progress will beable to be made. We only got fully running and combat preped the last few days of last wave. after sending out the rally call when we noticed servers were comming back up only about 3 of us will be able to play any significant ammount of time durring these two weeks.

My combat preference was going to be two diff chars, one an archer *unaffected by the combat changes but also unworked because of arrows needing metal/1 blacksmith/others&town needs for metal* and a melle char that is now highly in question due too changes.

Ideally my melle char was going to be wearing half plate using a towershield and a spear, with the ability to switch to an axe or lq sword for poison/mounted fighting. I'm currently wearing all of these things but i do not have the skill for any of them now except just the spear and axe. so do i continue to utilize what i have until i die? or remove them and throw them in the discard pile and start over? Honestly i dont see the need to use a shield unless its a tower shield because the main reason i want one is to block arrows and its so easy to shoot ppl using kite shields. so for me at least no tower no shield. *current placement waaay to deep imo*

Considering our blacksmith is one of the players that will not beable to play much, most of my time may be spent lvling up my own ..we have already decided that merging into a larger group and losing our autonomy is the only way to deal with logistics. But with current massive switches at current skill rates it seems not worthwile to play at all until after the wipe for me.

*Also i noticed if you are blocking and switch weapons the block bugs and stays blocking without button press and pressing it refreshes the block but cannot lower unless u switch weapons again without block pressed.*

If i recall correctly you were planning on allowing people to play mixed equipment to their preference and not pigeon holed into one armor/weap type but i dont see how this change accomplishes that.
Maybe you could have every skill opened and at 0 skill instead of needing 30 to unlock, Instead have 30 unlock progression past 0, might be an easy fix with slight balancing of 0 skills.

I highly advise against making major tweaks like this after full release.. the main reason i quit WoW was because of the time investment to gear up a class in arena twords a certain spec only to have it nerfbatted as soon as i got there month or so down the line with no way to reclaim the time/investment to switch to a now different endgame. no reason to waste time on games like that and this game is much more grindy. so just beware.

Grimmblut
Zealous Believer

Re: New Combat Tree

Post by Grimmblut » 21 Feb 2017, 19:19

The idea of the new combat tree is to still make every type of equipment available to a character but limiting his choice within said type if he doesn't specialize in that type of equipment. You can still play a character that can ride, wear metal armor, use a ranged weapon and wield a sword. But you can't play a character anymore that can ride a heavy warhorse, wear full plate, use a longbow and wield a longsword. Instead it would be something like a normal horse, a chainmail, a simple bow and bastard sword.

That said, I agree that no such fundamental changes should be made after Wave #2 begins.

GnarlyGnome
Zealous Believer

Re: New Combat Tree

Post by GnarlyGnome » 21 Feb 2017, 19:40

i understand and even agree with the premise but im at a loss in the practical application in which to switch gears so quickly. if major changes like this are going to be frequent then skill gains should be easier so we can test them..or longer duration on test waves.. im not going to spend another 2 weeks building a smith then re-kit my chars just to have it spun around again and still no combat time.. and while i understand that joining another group that's larger is going to be the meta response here that still leads me into the wonderful world of not being able to attack who i want ect.. so all and all im at a loss..
I want to use a spear with my kite shield not swing a sword and have the guy hugging my right to eat my swing and miss my attack in front. Why cant i wear half-plate while doing this? too game breaking? maybe it would be possible if i reran the math but 90 in huskarl made me quit looking into it start a new char and try to chase someone down to punch.. which took way to long since he could just keep running as well.. eventually someone else fought me for 5m before a K.O.
Maybe i will just work on my archer since that seems like its gonna be the meta.
practically its hard for me to justify the time investment. i will just wait for something more permanent before i start my grind, hopefully others will guide the testing to a fruitful end.

Return to General Discussion