Ridiculous idea about Weapon and Armour creation.

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

ThreeDawg

Ridiculous idea about Weapon and Armour creation.

Post by ThreeDawg » 21 Sep 2014, 19:24

Right, my first post here (Hi!) but uh I had to share this. First of all, let me get it out there that this idea is ridiculously hard to implement and would take a stupid amount of time to include but I thought I'd share it anyway because hell: it's a good idea!

Has anyone ever played Spore?

Now I'm not saying we make Spore, but I was thinking about the 'creator' parts of that game that took you into a little editor with a neat little UI that allowed you to morph things and put parts onto stuff and create whatever you could imagine. This idea sorta... Takes that and runs with it, into the hills.

What I imagined was, you can create blueprints for custom weapons (or armour, or furniture or whatever really but I'll stick to weapons for this demonstration). Say you want to make a sword and (for simplicities sake right now) there are 3 tabs in the sword creation page.

Each of these tabs would be chock full of things to turn into your weapon of choice and each thing would provide different levels of stats (and different resource costs to create it).

Sooo, for example Tab 1 could be Swords, Tab 2 Hilts and Tab 3 accessories.

You open Tab 1, pick a blade (I fancy a falchion style!) and then the blade pops down on your little table in the editor. Then you can customize the blade (minorly) with either sliders to change length, width etc or you could have the 'grab and pull' approach like is taken in the Spore games. However, the sliders and amount the blade can be tweaked is limited, so in this example the Falchion would still need to look like a Falchion - you can't suddenly turn it into a Scimitar or Longsword and maintain the Falchion stats. Basically, you can customize the look of your weapon while maintaining base stats.

Next you pick a hilt from Tab 2 and there could be any number of these things, different grips/hand guards etc and you could edit those too (but with a limit, so they all fit nicely into a character's hand).

Then Tab 3 contains accessories, items like feathers that you could drag and drop onto the hilt (or just select to appear, you don't have to drag and drop although that would be neat). Maybe gemstones or the ability to engrave the blade with some words. Maybe even customize the scabbard type (or choose a sword ring instead of a scabbard here). Now remember everything you choose makes the blueprint require different resources, so to put gemstones in you'd need said gemstones and a sword ring is easier to make than a scabbard. You could also use dyes to dye any leather on the blade, or different metal types to strengthen (or weaken, if you fancy some decorative ceremonial swords) the blade.

Like I said, this idea is redonkulous but I thought it was cool enough to share it. I could envision a similar structure for all the weapons (bows would look amazing), armours, clothing (dresses, when you implement the female characters, would be simply epic with this idea) and chairs. You could make it so the blueprints were character specific, but you could sell the finished products to other players so... It sorta makes blacksmiths with good creativity more valuable - adds another layer to the in-game economies by having ceremonial 'pretty' things that cost more to make and thus cost more to purchase from the blacksmith.

I can see it now, legendary blacksmiths prized for their swords. Clothiers that produce fashions that sweep the servers... And you could use this for the MMO version, too - don't see why not!

So, thoughts? I know, it's hard to implement but as a concept?

Ragtimer

Re: Ridiculous idea about Weapon and Armour creation.

Post by Ragtimer » 23 Sep 2014, 15:43

Well, this will mean that every mmo-version client out there will have to download this asset /blueprint/configuration you deem to create. I think this will blow up synchronization of this game.
The YO version is intended to be moddable so you might want to just make it for your own game / server.

KilonKasio

Re: Ridiculous idea about Weapon and Armour creation.

Post by KilonKasio » 23 Sep 2014, 23:25

I believe it would be great for YO or least a server to attempt it

Return to Suggestions and Ideas