Role playing in LiF

All discussions relevant to Guilds go here!

Rhade
True Believer

Re: Role playing in LiF

Post by Rhade » 04 Mar 2014, 10:24

~ deleted

due aggressive behaviour and unpolite use of words. :crazy:

sorry bro but we all have to stay calm in discussions and do not need to argue with others. :good:

Rhade Letalis

Black Shields

Avinalaff
Alpha Tester

Post by Avinalaff » 04 Mar 2014, 13:34

I think there is another aspect to this that may have been overlooked.

In many of the examples given through this thread it seems to be RP-ing crafters being ganked by l33t fighters. In most of those games you only get to be one or the other because of the way the skills system works.

In Life is Feudal I will have exactly as many combat points to use as everyone else. Sure I might have them at 90 rather than 100 because I invest my game-time in promoting crafting skills to 100 instead, but it sure as heck gives me a much better chance in a fight!

Crafters may no longer be the easy pickings that they have been in other games. Which should be great news to those that enjoy their PvP, whether they roleplay or not. :good:

Aheeia
Alpha Tester

Post by Aheeia » 04 Mar 2014, 14:57

also the alignment system will have some sort of impact.

i agree with the above that Lif might become something different since the mecanics are different. we'll see. the time to grief is way to early...

also it hardly depends on the community. in dayz i got raped badly many times while trying to RP.
but then i got rescued and recruited by a rp-group who killed most of the bandits and let 2 of them run in a RP manner that i never forget, almost let them die then brought em back only to let them go naked while zombie pray spelling them 8-) ... one owesome expierience in a mostly dull play.

i hope to see this kind happening even more mixed up with politics, economics and bare survival in Lif since if i want the simple PvP i go play CoD or Battlefield or some such...

its the kombo and depth of PVP, full loot, crafting, trading and rping that makes the sun shine for me...
that includes loosing and dying having to start from scratch to hopefully come across a different event of actions the next time around Lif...

Rhade
True Believer

Post by Rhade » 05 Mar 2014, 20:03

Rhade wrote:~ deleted

due aggressive behaviour and unpolite use of words. :crazy:

sorry bro but we all have to stay calm in discussions and do not need to argue with others. :good:

I was calm, I was just disagreeing and stated reasonable, logical reasons why.

A forum is for messages.

Messages are for conveying ideas.

At times, people will disagree and then discuss it.

I'd understand deleting a message for excessive profanity or overly aggressive personal attacks, but that was actually pretty tame. The only thing wrong with it was it's not a popular opinion.

I assume the message being sent here is you aren't allowed to disagree and list out reasonable reasons as to why? Got it.

Rhade Letalis

Black Shields

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 05 Mar 2014, 20:29

Wow, this got intense...

Anyhow something to point out is that there are 2 kinds of RP (some people may disagree with these generalizations but I am keeping them simple on purpose):

#1 - "Tea Party" or "Heavy" RP

#2 - "Immersion" or "Light" RP

-----

#1 - Tea Party or Heavy RP is where players remove themselves from the mechanical actions of the game and gather to share stories, etc to add backstory to their characters, such as their father being killed by bandits when they were young and them having vowed to get revenge on said bandits, etc.

---

#2 - Immersion or Light RP is where players generally just behave in a way that is not immersion breaking to the environment their avatar is in. Basically in a game like LiF this basically just means maintaining that your character is in fact a medieval citizen, and talking and behaving accordingly.

This doesn't have to mean saying "Thee and thou", it often just means NOT saying stuff like "OMG NOOB L2P!"

---

Now, as for the discussion...

I do agree that Tea Party RP is rather removed from progression in the game, but I don't think that partaking in it will automatically make one's character "gimped" in some way. Generally, the players that partake in this often are not usually the PRO LEET PVP players though, and so they will be at a disadvantage somewhat in that sense, but they would be with or without doing RP.

As for Immersion RP, this hinders nothing and many people do it - some people do it without knowing it, who otherwise "hate RPers" because they don't realize that what they are doing is just a different form of RP that is more inline with the gameworld rather than adding backstory to it.

----

Either way though - some people in this thread need to settle the F down.

Seppuku
Alpha Tester

Post by Seppuku » 06 Mar 2014, 15:43

Elindor wrote:Wow, this got intense...

Anyhow something to point out is that there are 2 kinds of RP (some people may disagree with these generalizations but I am keeping them simple on purpose):

#1 - "Tea Party" or "Heavy" RP

#2 - "Immersion" or "Light" RP

-----

#1 - Tea Party or Heavy RP is where players remove themselves from the mechanical actions of the game and gather to share stories, etc to add backstory to their characters, such as their father being killed by bandits when they were young and them having vowed to get revenge on said bandits, etc.

---

#2 - Immersion or Light RP is where players generally just behave in a way that is not immersion breaking to the environment their avatar is in. Basically in a game like LiF this basically just means maintaining that your character is in fact a medieval citizen, and talking and behaving accordingly.

This doesn't have to mean saying "Thee and thou", it often just means NOT saying stuff like "OMG NOOB L2P!"

---

Now, as for the discussion...

I do agree that Tea Party RP is rather removed from progression in the game, but I don't think that partaking in it will automatically make one's character "gimped" in some way. Generally, the players that partake in this often are not usually the PRO LEET PVP players though, and so they will be at a disadvantage somewhat in that sense, but they would be with or without doing RP.

As for Immersion RP, this hinders nothing and many people do it - some people do it without knowing it, who otherwise "hate RPers" because they don't realize that what they are doing is just a different form of RP that is more inline with the gameworld rather than adding backstory to it.

----

Either way though - some people in this thread need to settle the F down.

In the SSR we focus on Immersion RP or as we call it Practical RP. In this definition basically any way you want to play is fine as long as it furthers the goal of the Group. You may have a person who is a Pro 1337 Noob killer trash talker, but the others just comment on his strange tongue and reap the benefits or suffer the consequences of his actions together as a Kingdom.
Cimmerian Mercenary

Saxxon

Post by Saxxon » 13 Mar 2014, 13:50

Seppuku wrote:
In the SSR we focus on Immersion RP or as we call it Practical RP. In this definition basically any way you want to play is fine as long as it furthers the goal of the Group. You may have a person who is a Pro 1337 Noob killer trash talker, but the others just comment on his strange tongue and reap the benefits or suffer the consequences of his actions together as a Kingdom.

I didn't read all the garbage at the front of this thread but I thought it was important to have this discussion and I feel it is very relevant to the game and to build a vibrant community here.

Life is Feudal is not like many other mmos where a player observes what is happening in the game and chooses to participate in content or the developer "leads" them into content. The player "is" the content.

Practical RP is the foundation of my ingame time. Practical means everything I communicate ingame is about the gameworld and the people I interact with.

When I am here I do not care to hear about real world events such as what the Kardashians are doing today or what Justin Bieber has gotten arrested for this week. I give everyone this simple courtesy and hope it is returned.

I hope everyone fosters a somewhat similar view towards the game at least in the practical sense. This is what builds vibrant and strong online communities.

Engellus
Alpha Tester

Post by Engellus » 14 Mar 2014, 13:35

Saxxon wrote:
Seppuku wrote:

I didn't read all the garbage at the front of this thread but I thought it was important to have this discussion and I feel it is very relevant to the game and to build a vibrant community here.

Life is Feudal is not like many other mmos where a player observes what is happening in the game and chooses to participate in content or the developer "leads" them into content. The player "is" the content.

Practical RP is the foundation of my ingame time. Practical means everything I communicate ingame is about the gameworld and the people I interact with.

When I am here I do not care to hear about real world events such as what the Kardashians are doing today or what Justin Bieber has gotten arrested for this week. I give everyone this simple courtesy and hope it is returned.

I hope everyone fosters a somewhat similar view towards the game at least in the practical sense. This is what builds vibrant and strong online communities.

Being able to get deeper into the game will be a lot of fun for a lot of people. But we have to recognize that this game is going to be absolutely viral when it releases to the plebeian masses. And that means the consistency of people immersing themselves as a character might not hold. It would be nice, don't get me wrong. I would love to just shut off the lights and get into the world as the character. But there's always going to be those who troll and the other issues.

I guess what I'm saying is, we're going to have to try and tune out those people and wait and see. Hopefully the majority get really into it, maybe not to the extent of neck beards. But at least to the point where everyone can enjoy their time and feel more involved.

Personally, I am going to get right into it. And I hope to make many dread my coming.
ᚤᚦᚨᚱᚨᛒᚨ:ᛊᛒᚨ:ᚷᚩᚷᚩᚷᚩ

If all you want is to come to fight, we have the graves of our fathers. Come on, find these and try to destroy them: you shall know then whether we will fight you. -Idanthyrsus

Aheeia
Alpha Tester

Post by Aheeia » 14 Mar 2014, 14:17

it seems to me that in this community are already quite a lot of "light" RPers and a few "heavy" ones.

all this dooming that Lif will be full of griefers, non-RPers and hardcore PvPlers without a feel for lore and immersion might have a point especially if it goes viral like DayZ did.
BUT if a core long term community can be established that forms realms, factions, kingdoms, kings and popes it is also possible that the above said would be strongly influenced by a "code of conduct" that kings and popes, knights and priest will enforce... :good: ...wishful thinking ;)
but then that is also the fuel for war and that depth of the game but also the possibilities what can develop and constantly change from it is mindblowing!

im soo curious how Lif will evolve in the game culture. its very exciting to be part of it!

Saxxon

Post by Saxxon » 14 Mar 2014, 21:22

Keep in mind that there will be no global chat only area based so if you run into a real prick just kill them :evil:

Everyone will be held responsible for their actions so if I have to cut your tongue out of your head just remember "Life is Feudal"

Seppuku
Alpha Tester

Post by Seppuku » 14 Mar 2014, 21:41

Saxxon wrote:Keep in mind that there will be no global chat only area based so if you run into a real prick just kill them :evil:

Everyone will be held responsible for their actions so if I have to cut your tongue out of your head just remember "Life is Feudal"

Ya I'll simply scream that the devil has their tongue, and kill them for being a witch.
Cimmerian Mercenary

Engellus
Alpha Tester

Post by Engellus » 14 Mar 2014, 23:30

Aheeia wrote:it seems to me that in this community are already quite a lot of "light" RPers and a few "heavy" ones.

all this dooming that Lif will be full of griefers, non-RPers and hardcore PvPlers without a feel for lore and immersion might have a point especially if it goes viral like DayZ did.
BUT if a core long term community can be established that forms realms, factions, kingdoms, kings and popes it is also possible that the above said would be strongly influenced by a "code of conduct" that kings and popes, knights and priest will enforce... :good: ...wishful thinking ;)
but then that is also the fuel for war and that depth of the game but also the possibilities what can develop and constantly change from it is mindblowing!

im soo curious how Lif will evolve in the game culture. its very exciting to be part of it!

That would be the best case scenario of course. And I think that perhaps, with the efforts of all the alpha-testers and early players, we might find ourselves in a world quickly carved into nice pieces. And for those of us who want to roleplay, it will enable us to do so and treat these wandering griefers, and hardcore PVPers as nothing more than lunatics and criminals. Wild men who are perhaps stateless and living outside of the law or perhaps even marked for death by the factions who they fail to avoid.

I don't see why the forums won't eventually have an area where all the factions will report players to one-another so that everyone might know whether it was an act of war by a mercenary agent or a lone madman. This then also becoming a further admission into the realm of roleplay for those who want. And if not an open communication on the forums, perhaps just communication between neutral and friendly factions via private message somewhere. Send your pigeon with its message to your rival to assure him that the recent ravages his land has suffered was not your doing. But... Was it not?

So long as the majority of people don't just go on rampages all the time, I think it will be fine. But I do believe that the wilderness is going to be full of bands of filthy brigands. Groups of friends who want to play the game, but don't have enough players for an order, and who still want to kill people.

Its a lot to consider for everyone when the game goes live. All of which I am more than excited to endure and enjoy. In ample quantity.
ᚤᚦᚨᚱᚨᛒᚨ:ᛊᛒᚨ:ᚷᚩᚷᚩᚷᚩ

If all you want is to come to fight, we have the graves of our fathers. Come on, find these and try to destroy them: you shall know then whether we will fight you. -Idanthyrsus

Surrix
Alpha Tester

Post by Surrix » 23 Apr 2014, 11:30

I really love the idea of REAL RP.
I have been looking forever for a game where it is really possible.
In the days, there was Adellion, which never took air.
The idea of Adellion was heavy heavy rp:
permadeath, several cultures all with their own lore in one world,
only rp was allowed: you were sanctioned if you didn't rp (thrown in jail, sentenced, etc).
You could really live the life you wanted in a completely immersed world.

Here, I hope there will be multiple servers.
As was stated earlier in this thread:
hardcore griefers and true rp'ers seldom mix.
Therefore, I hope that the real rp'ers can get a server of their own.

If not: I hope rp'ers can get together and do their thing, without too much interference of 'the others'.
Stalin: "RP? I have known thousands who didn't like it. Now they are not here anymore."
My mom: "RP? I'm sure my son doesn't do that, mister!"

Saxxon

Post by Saxxon » 23 Apr 2014, 11:49

Surrix wrote:I really love the idea of REAL RP.
I have been looking forever for a game where it is really possible.
In the days, there was Adellion, which never took air.
The idea of Adellion was heavy heavy rp:
permadeath, several cultures all with their own lore in one world,
only rp was allowed: you were sanctioned if you didn't rp (thrown in jail, sentenced, etc).
You could really live the life you wanted in a completely immersed world.

Here, I hope there will be multiple servers.
As was stated earlier in this thread:
hardcore griefers and true rp'ers seldom mix.
Therefore, I hope that the real rp'ers can get a server of their own.

If not: I hope rp'ers can get together and do their thing, without too much interference of 'the others'.

Localized chat and no global should really help with that. The beauty of LiF is if someone does bother you just kill them. :beer:

Flannery
Alpha Tester

Post by Flannery » 23 Apr 2014, 14:53

I totally agree with Engellus amd Saxxon here - all though another player does not RP, it does not mean he/she does not belong in the RP world you are playing in.

You RP in a hostile world - and any one can turn against you at any time - RP or non-RP.

I for one will let my char live in that world and always be in character, but it will differ from light RP and hard RP depending on the situation.
And just because I am RP'ing does not mean I will emote every thought in my head... :D

If I am attacked, I will still consider it RP, and act accordingly - simple as that.

I will probably have some idea on where my char comes from and some background story to build from, but I will not add any thing to his merits that I have not "physically" done in the game.

After all - this is how it would have been in the real world at the time as well... I will expect any person I meet to be a enemy, until proven otherwise.

Life Is Feudal and you need to be on the alert at any time, and prepared to attack or defend yourself at any time.

PK'ers will be in the game, and I welcome that as part of a hostile world. I really do not think we will see griefing on the same scale as you see in some other games - not with every char costing money, and the alignment system in place.

But bandits and brigands will be there non the less - and they should be. If they RP as one, or just plain out want to be raiders not RP'ing - does not matter to me. In MY RP world they are just that. And it makes it interesting in my eyes :good:
"The enemy of my enemy - is my friend"

"Tides of War" Pre Alpha Videos
http://www.tidesofwargame.com

Krevente
Alpha Tester

Post by Krevente » 23 Apr 2014, 23:30

If you want to get down to it, the 'reality' of the Middle Ages is pretty dark and twisted, hence the era being commonly referred to as the "Dark Ages." Most people have very romantic visions of knights and damsels in distress, but the whole reason chivalry was invented was to slow roll knights from being complete assholes and raping and pillaging the land of their feudal lords.

Knights were not historically very good people and were not hired on for how 'knightly' they were, but how well they could fight and that generally carried over into pretty aggressive behavior otherwise.

Machiavelli warns us not to station troops near the populace for that same reason. It becomes very difficult to police your own troops in larger numbers and you can expect and should account for certain losses economically and within the population as he warns the prince he is writing to advise.

The reality of Roleplay is that you need to be prepared to defend yourself. The whole concept of 'parley' and not engaging immediately with violence is a myth and doesn't fit into the lore or atmosphere of Life is Feudal.

The Silver Sun Republic is one of the more well-organized and structure RP guilds out there and we've been RPing for well over 15 years since games like the original Everquest, Ultima Online and even MUDs before that. We take a much more realistic approach to RP and built our guild to account for that being driven by a guild-wide storyline that is based around events as they unfold and by having our members fill the roles they creates for themselves.

Crusader316

Post by Crusader316 » 24 Apr 2014, 11:12

Krevente wrote:If you want to get down to it, the 'reality' of the Middle Ages is pretty dark and twisted, hence the era being commonly referred to as the "Dark Ages." Most people have very romantic visions of knights and damsels in distress, but the whole reason chivalry was invented was to slow roll knights from being complete assholes and raping and pillaging the land of their feudal lords.

Knights were not historically very good people and were not hired on for how 'knightly' they were, but how well they could fight and that generally carried over into pretty aggressive behavior otherwise.

I disagree with this.

First of all, the term "Dark ages" is an inaccurate term and is hardly used anymore, if at all used it should only be applied to the period known as the 'early middle ages'.

Describing the middle ages as backwards became popular among enlightenment thinkers but it really is not true.

In medieval europe there were great advances in technology, culture, political systems and civil liberties. Look at the concept of serfdom for example, serfs were no longer the property of their lord and had basic human rights.

Sure some knights were cruel and some lords were cruel, just like there are cruel and evil people today (it's part of human nature). So I'd agree most knights were most certainly not very saintly but that does not mean that there were not also alot of chivalrous knights throughout history.

In conclusion I would say I agree that it's only realistic that a majority of people will not act honorably but I think you have a slightly distorted and overly critical view of medieval europe.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 24 Apr 2014, 11:34

Krevente wrote:If you want to get down to it, the 'reality' of the Middle Ages is pretty dark and twisted, hence the era being commonly referred to as the "Dark Ages."

Actually "Dark Ages" refers to either the pre-medieval migration period or the early middle ages and was named after the lack of written sources, not being dark and twisted.

Most people have very romantic visions of knights and damsels in distress

I don't think many people over the age of 12 have such a simplistic way of regarding history. I see it commonly refered to as a clichéed view of chivalry in some children's movies.

Clichées about the actual middle ages exist but are more in line with it being dirty, everybody dying of plague and burning witches all the time.

but the whole reason chivalry was invented was to slow roll knights from being complete assholes and raping and pillaging the land of their feudal lords.

It was really more a courtly ideal that minstrels liked to sing about. It had quite few to do with actually stopping people from pillaging.
The threat of eternal damnation for your sins would have been more effective.

Krevente
Alpha Tester

Post by Krevente » 24 Apr 2014, 14:19

That's all well and good, but I disagree with you guys and stand by my original points. My use of the term 'dark ages' might have been overly simplified, but a lot of that refers to the fragmentation of government and the chaotic nature of the time, not just a 'lack of written sources.'

I didn't realize I would have to end up authoring a dissertation on medieval history, but then again this is the internet and everyone loves a good dialogue when the opportunity arises.

I don't think many people over the age of 12 have such a simplistic way of regarding history. I see it commonly refered to as a clichéed view of chivalry in some children's movies.

Again, disagree, because a lot of the source material for knighthood in the media and literature in general comes from Arthurian legend and the wide range of variation on that theme.

Knighthood was derived largely in part from both the Church and the Feudal lords who created the concept and their motivation was to curb the violent behavior of the military.

Ever been in garrison with infantry or spent time around combat military? It's as true today as it was back then. It can be incredibly difficult to maintain discipline both in garrison and in the field. Basic principles of maintaining order don't change over time. Obviously we've scaled back some of the more violent practices, but the objectives and the concepts still remain.

My "overly critical" view of medieval Europe is steeped in reality. The world is still a violent place today and while a lot of people are far removed from it sitting behind their computers and enjoying relative safety, there are a lot of very unsafe places.

I'm not just some wikipedia scholar. My entire educational background consisting of several degrees is built around medieval military and government history. In my time I've realized that the source material varies so much and there are a ton of first, second and third order sources that create such a wide spectrum of opinions and 'facts' that it can be difficult even within scholarly circles to agree on even basic concepts.

It doesn't help that it's also a favorite subject for fictional works.

Flannery
Alpha Tester

Post by Flannery » 24 Apr 2014, 15:10

Krevente wrote:That's all well and good, but I disagree with you guys and stand by my original points. My use of the term 'dark ages' might have been overly simplified, but a lot of that refers to the fragmentation of government and the chaotic nature of the time, not just a 'lack of written sources.'

I didn't realize I would have to end up authoring a dissertation on medieval history, but then again this is the internet and everyone loves a good dialogue when the opportunity arises.

Again, disagree, because a lot of the source material for knighthood in the media and literature in general comes from Arthurian legend and the wide range of variation on that theme.

Knighthood was derived largely in part from both the Church and the Feudal lords who created the concept and their motivation was to curb the violent behavior of the military.

Ever been in garrison with infantry or spent time around combat military? It's as true today as it was back then. It can be incredibly difficult to maintain discipline both in garrison and in the field. Basic principles of maintaining order don't change over time. Obviously we've scaled back some of the more violent practices, but the objectives and the concepts still remain.

My "overly critical" view of medieval Europe is steeped in reality. The world is still a violent place today and while a lot of people are far removed from it sitting behind their computers and enjoying relative safety, there are a lot of very unsafe places.

I'm not just some wikipedia scholar. My entire educational background consisting of several degrees is built around medieval military and government history. In my time I've realized that the source material varies so much and there are a ton of first, second and third order sources that create such a wide spectrum of opinions and 'facts' that it can be difficult even within scholarly circles to agree on even basic concepts.

It doesn't help that it's also a favorite subject for fictional works.

+1 :beer:
"The enemy of my enemy - is my friend"

"Tides of War" Pre Alpha Videos
http://www.tidesofwargame.com

Crusader316

Post by Crusader316 » 24 Apr 2014, 15:19

Krevente wrote:My "overly critical" view of medieval Europe is steeped in reality. The world is still a violent place today and while a lot of people are far removed from it sitting behind their computers and enjoying relative safety, there are a lot of very unsafe places.

As you point out here, the world has always been and always will be a violent place.

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that humans have done evil things in all societies and all ages. I certainly would disagree if someone asserted that medieval knights were always perfect in all their ways, clearly that has never been the case with humans.

What I object to in your post is what I percieve as the opposite and far more prevalent simplification and demonization of medieval society. The view that medieval europe was the hieght of barbarity and injustice.

You said for example that "the reality of the middle ages was dark and twisted and hence the name Dark ages" (paraphrase). To me this says that the middle ages were a particularly savage age. Compared to what exatly?

I would say that medieval europe was far superior in many ways to almost all preceding or contemporary civilization. If you are going to label that 'dark' then you would have to call most all other civilizations 'pitch-black' :pardon:

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 24 Apr 2014, 15:44

Crusader316 wrote:I would say that medieval europe was far superior in many ways to almost all preceding or contemporary civilization. If you are going to label that 'dark' then you would have to call most all other civilizations 'pitch-black' :pardon:

eh? In what way was medieval Europe superior to today's civilization? I guess there was less radioactive waste or pollution... but apart from that?

Crusader316

Post by Crusader316 » 24 Apr 2014, 15:54

Siegbert wrote:eh? In what way was medieval Europe superior to today's civilization? I guess there was less radioactive waste or pollution... but apart from that?

Contemporary civilizations, as in the civilizations of it's time (the vikings, moslem caliphate etc.)

Although I think modern society could learn alot from the chivalric code I would not go as far as saying medieval europe is better then modern europe. No, we certainly have it better when it comes to civil liberties, justice systems and other things ;)

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 24 Apr 2014, 15:56

Sorry, misunderstood you.

Krevente
Alpha Tester

Post by Krevente » 24 Apr 2014, 16:47

believe this is a much more well educated and tuned in audience compared to a general sampling of random people so the choice of specific language may require some tweaking. We're also covering some incredibly broad topics in terms of time, cultures and geography.

My entire point to get back to the original topic was to say that any expectation in RP for people to talk to you before attacking you in the wilderness leading to a complaint about the lack of RP is fairly silly. It wasn't to generate an academic discussion but to point out that reality and the environment is violent for ppl to frame their RP in a similar framework.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 24 Apr 2014, 16:57

It might come down to game mechanics.
Maybe robbing someone by sheer threats is just less risky than straight up attacking him with a certain chance of dying yourself. Also your alignment won't be touched by a civil robbery.

If I had 2 other guys in my company and we planned on robbing a traveler I think we pose a threat to him just by our numbers. We might still be incredibly incapable of fighting him but he doesn't need to know.

Dying should just generally suck and you might try to avoid it if possible, especially if you're out in the open and far away from your spawn point.

Strategos

Post by Strategos » 01 Jun 2014, 14:32

I don't entirely understand why this discussion is taking place. Someone earlier pointed out that RP would be impossible because he'd just run you through before you got a word out. But isn't it so much more fun to run someone through WHILE rping? I personally prefer to believe that I'm the invincible lord of Camorr slaying an enemy warrior rather than some hand cramp plagued idiot who can push buttons faster than his opponent...

Link to the Duchy of Camorr Official Website:
http://duchyofcamorr.enjin.com/
Link to the Duchy of Camorr thread:
the-gentleman-bastards-t1255/
Link to The Duchy of Camorr Steam group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/theduchyofcamorr

SirWinston
Alpha Tester

Post by SirWinston » 02 Jun 2014, 18:12

Death being extremely punitive in LiF, I think people will think about it twice before using violence to solve all their problems.
A thief will try to intimidate instead of straight up murdering a traveler, to preserve his alignment.
In the same way, if a thief gets caught by a larger group of knights, he might want to surrender to save his skillpoints instead of fighting to the death.

Also, have an informative video about the so-called "Dark Ages":
[youtube]QV7CanyzhZg[/youtube]
Spoiler

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 02 Jun 2014, 19:07

Winston wrote:Death being extremely punitive in LiF, I think people will think about it twice before using violence to solve all their problems.
A thief will try to intimidate instead of straight up murdering a traveler, to preserve his alignment.
In the same way, if a thief gets caught by a larger group of knights, he might want to surrender to save his skillpoints instead of fighting to the death.

I had to fix your youtube link - You DO NOT enter whole adress, only "QV7CanyzhZg" part.

Azerath
Alpha Tester

Post by Azerath » 02 Jun 2014, 20:20

Winston wrote:Death being extremely punitive in LiF, I think people will think about it twice before using violence to solve all their problems.

Great video! A lot of the reason people think the Middle Ages were so terrible, and things went to hell after the fall of the Roman Empire, is because historians didn't have a lot of primary source material to work with up until recently - "recently" being a relative term.

A lot of views of Rome being so great came from Italy during the renaissance, so they were biased when they painted the Roman Empire in a glorious light, and the fall as the most tragic thing that happened in world history up until that point. In actuality, the fall of Rome was probably the greatest thing to happen to Europe. It had become a bloated, corrupt, and inept bureaucracy and despite what most people think, it didn't go out with a bang after Rome was sacked by the Visigoths, it just kind of petered out over the course of a couple decades.

On the other side of that, you have The Age of Enlightenment, where people became anti-Catholic Church, and religion in general. That's where a lot of the myths surrounding the "dark ages" being this miserable period in time because the Church repressed everybody came from.

In reality, the world isn't any more or less violent today then it was during the middle ages. Walking down a dark alley in a big city today is just as dangerous as it was back then. Going into a forest that isn't patrolled by the state's rangers is as dangerous today as it was back then. We just have more sophisticated ways to kill each other today, and it requires far less skill to be effective at it.

Added » 03 Jun 2014, 17:27

In terms of RP, we are refugees from a fallen Empire. It wouldn't be unthinkable that people would turn on each other out of desperation. Murder rates tend to be higher in undeveloped countries, which is what we'll have come game launch. But ultimately, the world in LiF will be what we make it. If we run around killing whatever/whoever we see, then we'll have made a terrible world.

If we run into a random stranger, and basically ignore them, then we'll have made a world similar to our own.

If we run into a random stranger and help them, then we'll have made a world better then our own.

In reality, most people don't go around killing each other just because they want what the other person has, and that has never been the norm. Empathy and sympathy are not new developments in the human psyche. Some people do go around killing at random and taking what others have; they're called psycopaths. I suggest this is how those who RP treat those who just walk up to them and start killing them.

Caelitus Mihi Vires

Return to Guilds Discussions and Politics