Rule-Free Servers Are Awesome

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Rule-Free Servers Are Awesome

Post by Ishamael » 26 Jan 2016, 05:49

I've been playing on a rule free server and it's been awesome.

Completely different game when there are no meta-rules to get you banned.

There's a whole new gameplay that emerges when you throw those meta-rules out the window and play the game as it was intended to be.

There was a horse that was charging me and I threw down a floating log as he came to ram me and he went flying off the horse.

Trying to kill people that combat log when they run away makes combat a lot harder. You really have to hammer people hard before they realize they should run or they will get away.

You will find yourself going to remote areas in the game acting like a shrew to hide your resources until you can get a claim up.

There are still people that will help you, but most just want to kill you which makes you super paranoid but much more grateful when someone actually helps.

On servers like these, people just accept whatever happens and adjust their tactics for next time instead of spending 5 hours playing law and order with the GMs because you attacked someone off their claim.

There are only a very few with around 7 - 10 players at the moment, but I hope the more hardcore players quit playing into the power trip of anal / corrupt GMs and give these rule-free servers a try.

It honestly feels like a different, better game when you try to play it without all the meta-rules. It was such a stark difference that I wanted to post it in the forums and tell people to give it a try. I don't care what server you pick, just try this type of server at least once.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Re: Rule-Free Servers Are Awesome

Post by Azzerhoden » 26 Jan 2016, 16:41

Sadly, it seems a lot of GMs use the popularity of their server to feed their ego, and a lot of players seem to look at LIF as a Minecraft upgrade. Which, in way, it is.

However, it is also a PvP game, and in a PvP game shitty things are going to happen to all your hard crafted work. That risk is what makes the game fun.

I worry that when the MMO is released, too many players will be unprepared, get killed frequently, and quit.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 26 Jan 2016, 23:26

Agreed.

Like I said, it's an entirely different game on rule-free servers. Interestingly, it requires a more intelligent approach since you have to consider more possibilities instead of using meta rules as a crutch.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Sepra

Post by Sepra » 27 Jan 2016, 14:29

Well how less rules be the gms, how better that is true indeed. And people arguing the pvp aspect of the game is a bit weak of them ;)

But some rules are fine. Like poeple exploiding bugs like the deathpit or invisible fences and floating objects. But it is indeed nice to have a server where you dont have to argue about the pvp aspect

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 27 Jan 2016, 17:21

Sepra wrote:Well how less rules be the gms, how better that is true indeed. And people arguing the pvp aspect of the game is a bit weak of them ;)

But some rules are fine. Like poeple exploiding bugs like the deathpit or invisible fences and floating objects. But it is indeed nice to have a server where you dont have to argue about the pvp aspect

True - some rules should be around using know bugs as exploits. That said, I have to disagree on the floating logs being an exploit. Yes it's not realistic, but there is supposed to be climbing in the game (unless they have decided to not implement it) and ladders certainly existed in the feudal age.

So until either one of those (or both) make it into the game, IMO using floating logs is a viable, alternative tactic. Just like stacking logs on the same spot so as to not take up a lot of space.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 27 Jan 2016, 22:48

Allow death pits, floating logs, etc.

I don't think there are any exploits are there?

No GMS essentially.

This is the type of gameplay that is amazing from my experiences recently. Totally different more fun game.
—Ishamael

Return to General Discussion