Rune System

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Nocturne

Rune System

Post by Nocturne » 28 Oct 2013, 14:14

My first game was Diablo 2, the best H & S, so I would ask to Devs if there are possibilities to see in future a Rune System similar to D2-LoD.
This:
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runes.shtml
The runes could be placed in the context of the entire game world (in the loot of animals, fishing, gathering resources, etc), and you could create a profession to support the crafting, oriented to improve the characteristics of objects through socketing armours and weapons with subsequent embedding the runes.

What do you think?

ps: Do you can show a preview of the world map?

TY and congratulations for the presentation video. The game has a enormous potential.

Virdill
Alpha Tester

Re: Rune System

Post by Virdill » 28 Oct 2013, 15:06

If the game should reflect the reality of medieval, can not exist magic runes IMHO :)
Sorry for my bad English

finalreview
Alpha Tester

Post by finalreview » 29 Oct 2013, 05:24

"Question: Maybe an odd question, but I haven't seen any mention of it yet. Any magic spells/skills in game?

Answer: Only religious powers. Nothing like pew pew magic in other MMOs."

Nocturne

Post by Nocturne » 29 Oct 2013, 09:18

Virdill wrote:can not exist magic runes IMHO :)

finalreview wrote:Nothing like pew pew magic in other MMOs.

I am referring to the runes with simple attributes, nothing stupid and colored magical effects, but only runes that increase the attributes of objects such as statistics of armour or the weapon damage (just a few examples).
A bit like for rings and necklaces, the only difference is that you can get the jewelry from crafting, while for the runes you can get them in the world like rare items, and you can subsequently embedded into weapons and armors as a further differentiation of the equipment.

Reamagorn

Post by Reamagorn » 29 Oct 2013, 13:31

you could better write: add minor armor weapon upgrades available for advanced blacksmiths :)
since this game is aiming for realism, inserting magical runes to your equipment just doesn't seems so (i think the last guy was speaking about runes being flashy themselves, because just inserting them is clearly magic itself if you think about how it works)
also http://karlann.deviantart.com/art/Looting-122690741 getting magic runes from there is just as real ;)

Nocturne

Post by Nocturne » 29 Oct 2013, 16:05

Reamagorn wrote:you could better write: add minor armor weapon upgrades available for advanced blacksmiths :)

Yes :) more or less the direction is this. You grasped the concept.
But more specifically I am referring to a profession (primary or secondary) of complement for blacksmiths. A profession that works as Enchanting, but without magical characteristics and without colored effects of spells typical of the themepark.
Darkfall for example, had a profession of enchantment where you did not see color effects or phosphorescent trails.
The objects remained identical but acquired a property linked to the single item, for example an amount x of streght on a piece of armour, or a quantity x of damage on a weapon.

Reamagorn wrote:since this game is aiming for realism, inserting magical runes to your equipment just doesn't seems so

Completely agree, with LIF you can't insert a real profession of enchantment.
As you rightly say the game wants to maintain a strong sense of reality and for create a complement profession for blacksmith (addressed only to an higher differentiation of weapons and armor sets at high levels) you can take as reference the runes.
I don't think that the runes are so far away from the theme of the feudal world, are stones inscribed with symbols that are very reminiscent of the Medieval age.

Reamagorn wrote:just inserting them is clearly magic itself if you think about how it works

Agree, but, from the LIF Features:
Jewelry - Used to craft rings and amulets, and cut gems. Later levels unlock additional schematics.

Jewelcrafting features the ONLY way in game to increase the luck stat. Other stats are increased by raising skills associated with that stat, but luck has no skills associated with it. To raise luck, you must wear jewelry. Luck gives the greatest benefits to crafters, increasing their (or your!) chances for a successful crafting proc.
Luck also affects combat significantly. LiF does not feature magic, only luck and piety. Luck increases your chances of inflicting wounds and fractures on foes or staggering or knocking down your opponent. More jewelry you wear in battle - more effective you will be.

Also Jewelcrafting seems like a magical feature that influences the Luck (during combat, a kind of additional damage random).
So, with the term Rune System I refer to create an additional profession like enchantment, as a complement to blacksmith and can be interpreted in the same way the devs interpret jewelcrafting.
The aim is to differentiate armour sets and weapons at high levels (otherwise they would all be the same).
Rune intended as a minor armor weapon upgrades (an additional complement of crafting) and not as magic object.

ps: I hope I explained myself, because otherwise I don't know what to do ;)

Reamagorn

Post by Reamagorn » 29 Oct 2013, 20:03

maybe rune crafting or enchanting be like carving something on armor and it would add similar or same things as jewelry?

ps. i get your idea though i'm not sure it's a necessity of any kind (though there are stat increasing jewels, so i guess it's not unimaginable :) )

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 30 Oct 2013, 11:58

Spread your mind across more game mechanics to achieve wider area of thought. Don't stick to primitive blizzard hamster-marketing tricks.

There are such fine examples like Haven&Hearth and Mortal Online.

For example, first one provides very fine example of how the medieval-german-style fiction can be implemented in a sandbox mmo. No magic, pure blood, steel and lumber.

Second one has a complicated craft system, where properties of items depend not only on the material quality, but on material specific properties and their mix. Players have to study it themselves, create a research program in order to create the most unique and powerful weapons of their own craftsmanship. Which bow will be better? One, made of bronze, birch and goat bone or the one, made of copper, pine and wolf bone? You never know exatly unless you create it and will still be full of guesswork, what was the reason? Change of wood or change of bone?

This is far more interesting than click-and-cast magics or some unknown so-called runes.
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Dussin
True Believer

Post by Dussin » 04 Nov 2013, 12:24

The only way I can see this work in this setting, is maybe giving someone, some kind of leadership bonus (more bonus in the formation system) for having a nice sword (Because it proves that he is rich and sucessful and can afford it) , maybe with carved runes or some other pattern, but nothing magical, like he gets stronger etc.

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 04 Nov 2013, 12:49

Dussin wrote:The only way I can see this work in this setting, is maybe giving someone, some kind of leadership bonus (more bonus in the formation system) for having a nice sword (Because it proves that he is rich and sucessful and can afford it) , maybe with carved runes or some other pattern, but nothing magical, like he gets stronger etc.

Now that's sounds like a good idea! :good: Leader's item (armor/weapon/helm) will require a certain "Unit and Formation" skill level, will make him more noticeable on a battleground and will provide a bit of bonus to his orders. The fact that he is more noticeable will make easier for his group members to spot in the battle, but will also make his enemies to target him more often in order to cripple and weaken that Unit.
Will save it to a loooooong long list of features to be implemented someday, if we will have such chance.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas