Running while in combat stance...

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Running while in combat stance...

Post by Siegbert » 31 Aug 2014, 19:50

...generally is a bad idea. The way it currently is it's way too fast. You can sprint into and out of combat as fast as you like. It's really a little bit ridiculous.

The way it should be done is either

1. remove sprinting in combat stance completely

or

2. slow it down considerably so that sprinting in combat stance is like a jog.

It takes away from a proper man vs man fight when both opponents can run away whenever they want.

In Mount&Blade Warband there is no button for sprinting. You gain speed the longer you run uninterruptedly so in combat you'll never be able to just run off.
M&B's PvP melee combat is the best there is (among other reasons) for this particular reason.

As a side note, I really think animations for movement in combat stance should be redone completely. The way you're holding your sword while only moving your legs looks retarded. In other games such as M&B, Chivalry, Skyrim, you're holding your sword in hand but not in a way as if you're about to hit the very next second.
It should be more relaxed and only come off aggressive when you're actually hitting or blocking.

Tantal
Alpha Tester

Re: Running while in combat stance...

Post by Tantal » 31 Aug 2014, 20:05

Didn't think about this, sounds reasonable.

Another thing about combat movement: When I remember right, there was no jumping while you are in combat mode. I think it would be important to be able to jump. for example above little stone walls, which you can usually easily pass by jumping.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 31 Aug 2014, 20:37

Tantal wrote:Didn't think about this, sounds reasonable.

Another thing about combat movement: When I remember right, there was no jumping while you are in combat mode. I think it would be important to be able to jump. for example above little stone walls, which you can usually easily pass by jumping.

Yes, there is. Depends on your gear, I think.

Liadon

Post by Liadon » 01 Sep 2014, 19:49

I think the sprint shouldn't be removed, but simply be slower when your ration STR/gear's weight is high.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 01 Sep 2014, 23:21

Sprint must NOT be removed !! If it is, you won't be able to charge anymore :( I think it should just consume a bit more stamina. Or, just add a pursuing mechanic like in chivalry : if an enemy sprints in the opposite direction, you have to pursue him long enough, then the game gives you enough extra speed to catch up to him, no matter his speed.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 02 Sep 2014, 05:39

Hoshiqua wrote:Sprint must NOT be removed !! If it is, you won't be able to charge anymore :( I think it should just consume a bit more stamina. Or, just add a pursuing mechanic like in chivalry : if an enemy sprints in the opposite direction, you have to pursue him long enough, then the game gives you enough extra speed to catch up to him, no matter his speed.

Running in Chivalry however is considerably slower. You don't need to run at full speed to do an impressive charge. As I said running in Warband isn't faster than jogging yet a bunch of guys charging at you with their weapons drawn is just as impressive as it would get. It takes away from the subtle terror when your opponent is just there in an instant.

I would agree considering the pursuing mechanic.

InnocentFarmer
Alpha Tester

Post by InnocentFarmer » 02 Sep 2014, 17:42

Would the pursuing mechanic make low tier armours useless then? Who would want to be Agile when a guy in full mail can catch you if you try to run away? That's the good side of the light armours, if you take a beating you can retreat.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 02 Sep 2014, 17:53

Well, I would make the pursuing mechanic only viable if both remain in combat stance. You should be able to get away from combat, but not go in and out as you like while casually hitting your opponent.

Tantal
Alpha Tester

Post by Tantal » 02 Sep 2014, 18:07

Three of us fought a guy in full plate armor, us having swords. I don't know if it is because of our weapons and some other weapons would have been better, but despite hitting him some times, I did not see any chance in defeating him.
I think there should be a consierable speed difference between the different armor types, because full plate armor seems to be really good.

InnocentFarmer
Alpha Tester

Post by InnocentFarmer » 02 Sep 2014, 18:19

Siegbert wrote:Well, I would make the pursuing mechanic only viable if both remain in combat stance. You should be able to get away from combat, but not go in and out as you like while casually hitting your opponent.

I don't like this idea at all, it's the "Pros" of being with lightweight armour, you can't make them weaker than they already are.
Edit: I don't like the whole pursuing idea at all. In the end if you are so quick that your enemy can't catch you up at all, you'd have to be completely naked and the enemy would have to be dumb. It's all about movement and timing. You'd only have to lure him deeper in and then go for a swing and that would be the crucial blow that could kill him or make him flee.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 02 Sep 2014, 18:57

And I hate the pussy moves that many players try in fleeing from combat. What good is it if you're wearing good armor and have decent weapons if your opponent just runs away and shoots at you from afar?
If you're in combat you should have to duke it out one way or the other.

Virdill
Alpha Tester

Post by Virdill » 02 Sep 2014, 20:54

This :beer:
I agree, i think this thing should be revised, otherwise, the combat will become as MO :%)
Sorry for my bad English

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 02 Sep 2014, 21:03

Siegbert wrote:And I hate the pussy moves that many players try in fleeing from combat. What good is it if you're wearing good armor and have decent weapons if your opponent just runs away and shoots at you from afar?
If you're in combat you should have to duke it out one way or the other.

Step one:
Gather intelligence about your enemy.

Step two:
Make a strategy involving all the parameters (best weapons against them, best armor against them, best mounts against them, best stratgy...)

Step three:
Dont go full plate infantry army if you are fighting against cavalry archer army.

Step four:
If you fail cus you are too lazy to plan your battles and change your tactics during the battle come to forum and cry about enemies being op cus they totally countered you.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 02 Sep 2014, 21:11

En_Dotter wrote:Step three:
Dont go full plate infantry army if you are fighting against cavalry archer army.

Step four:
If you fail cus you are too lazy to plan your battles and change your tactics during the battle come to forum and cry about enemies being op cus they totally countered you.

Who is talking about cav archers? I'm talking about simple man vs man fights in which your opponent is able to just outrun you which sucks as many game have proven.

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 02 Sep 2014, 21:25

Siegbert wrote:
En_Dotter wrote:Step three:

Step four:

Who is talking about cav archers? I'm talking about simple man vs man fights in which your opponent is able to just outrun you which sucks as many game have proven.

I have given u an extreme example that can be used in any case. So player A is faster than player B and u are player B so u get kited.

That means you are too heavy or your build is done in a way that you are slow. U cant do it all... Thats why you develop your character - to be amazing in one discipline (maybe 2) or to be average in many.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 02 Sep 2014, 22:01

But what could possibly be a benefit to being heavily armored in a game like this if everybody else could simply outrun you at any given time?

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 02 Sep 2014, 22:31

Benefit of pure logic. If you have 40kg of fine steel on u i dont expect u to beat the current 100m sprint record. But i also dont expect to kill u with a piece of wood...

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 03 Sep 2014, 04:37

So, you agree there could not possibly be any benefit to a full armored dismounted knight in this game because he would not ever be able to reach his enemies unless they are dumb enough not to circle around him. He would be effective as a tortoise on the battlefield.

In such a game what would be the point of aquiring decent armor if it generally puts you at disadvantage?

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 03 Sep 2014, 05:26

I dont really understand your point... Why would i (in a bloody heavy armor dismounted or pure infantry) go chasing ppl around? My job is to go in the middle of the fight and do what i do best - bash other heavy armored heads, play with shielders and try to protect the others with my heavily armored body, while the light infantry/cav/archers deal with the runners...

Benefit if protection at the cost of mobility... Then why would ppl go for light armor if there is no speed penalty?

If you are going to argument your side of the story by not being able to wear ur heavy armor 24/7 cus ur slow then fuck it... Why on earth would u be walking around in heavy equipment during the day? Dont tell me guard duty, cus even there are different positions - if you are guarding the king in his quarters then ok, plate it is but there is not much running cus ur in closed quarters.

Use heavy armor for battles and sieges, and use medium/light during the less "dangerous" times.

Or be a bloody true knight and have your little group consisting of several ppl with different roles and wear ur heavy stuff 24/7.

This all reminds me of cRPG where ppl cry constantly about nerfing every single class cus they cant even try to do some thinking and/or team play. I just hope this game doesnt end up the same way.

Another question now. If horses (when implemented) get slowed while moving uphill so that infantry can advance faster than them (bipedal movement is much more efficient there than 4-legs) should we make horses still be faster than infantry since... well... i dont wanna ride a horse (uphill) that cant get to an infantry (and basically kill them)?

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 03 Sep 2014, 06:41

En_Dotter wrote:If you are going to argument your side of the story by not being able to wear ur heavy armor 24/7 cus ur slow then fuck it... Why on earth would u be walking around in heavy equipment during the day?

That kinda is my point. As a knight you wouldn't have different sets of armor, I believe (as in one for mounted combat, one for dismounted combat etc.). If you could afford it you had your full plate armor for battle and that's it.

While I generally share your view on fully armored knights being slower than lighter armored soldiers I don't think that in a game you act exactly like you would in real life. Melee combat in a real world scenario wouldn't be about sprinting around your enemy. You would march in close formations and not move much faster than when jogging since you would want to keep up with your comrades.
In the game you will have situations in which you're alone while in your armor. An attacker would then circle around you to land some smaller hits here and there and be off before you could unleash your full potential.
Wouldn't it be more fun if both had to engage in a close quarter man vs man fight rather than having one player troll the other just because he runs faster? I believe so.

Another question now. If horses (when implemented) get slowed while moving uphill so that infantry can advance faster than them (bipedal movement is much more efficient there than 4-legs) should we make horses still be faster than infantry since... well... i dont wanna ride a horse (uphill) that cant get to an infantry (and basically kill them)?

I do think horses should be faster, generally speaking.

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 03 Sep 2014, 13:40

Apparently we have really distinct differences in opinions.

Now, about horses on the slopes vs humans. There is a critical angle where speed becomes the same. If you increase the angle further more human becomes faster. If u then increase it even more, horse cant go uphill anymore.

Do the physics by the way. Look at the center of mass (gravity) of human and of a horse compared to the points of the "pushing" force that allows u movement. No matter how strong the horse is, human has the advantage because of those 2 parameters. Human can easily lean forward to use the gravity as a bonus forward pushing force, while the horse cant do that. I am not throwing numbers here because i cant be bothered to find them. So i cant say if the slope is like 45º you will go faster. But there is a critical angle where u will beat the horse uphill. ;)

InnocentFarmer
Alpha Tester

Post by InnocentFarmer » 03 Sep 2014, 15:48

I have the very same view as En_Dotter.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 03 Sep 2014, 16:10

Alright, good for you 8-)

InnocentFarmer
Alpha Tester

Post by InnocentFarmer » 03 Sep 2014, 19:13

Siegbert wrote:Alright, good for you 8-)

You really suck at taking critics, it's your own fault for opening up this topic. if you don't want any critics and can't take it without having to reply foolishly(your response was quite childish), don't make them, thank you.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 03 Sep 2014, 19:36

Ah, come on... I wasn't being serious. :crazy:

I appreciate your opinions and love having discussions about the topic. :beer:

InnocentFarmer
Alpha Tester

Post by InnocentFarmer » 04 Sep 2014, 12:38

Siegbert wrote:Ah, come on... I wasn't being serious. :crazy:

I appreciate your opinions and love having discussions about the topic. :beer:
I'm sorry. Was having a rough day and was being a guge drama queen.

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 04 Sep 2014, 22:33

Have you even tested sprinting in combat with full gear and skills yet? No you haven't.

This suggestion has no grounds.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 05 Sep 2014, 05:46

Yes, I have. Were you not present at last test's filming event?

Return to Suggestions and Ideas