Server reboot not working at all.

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
Frontal
Alpha Tester

Server reboot not working at all.

Post by Frontal » 28 Sep 2014, 15:13

Well it's been over a week since the game got early released in steam, I expected bugs, I expected crashes, I expected lack of content but I never expected the "official server" to be down more often than up.

Private servers have reliable restart scripts, why can't we have one in "official servers". It makes no sense to me how a server can stay down for 21 hours. Then be up for 1-2 hours (when the devs realize the server is down and flip the switch) and then it's down for another day.

We were promised official servers so we wouldn't need to deal with the private server bullshit of abusing admins and threat of shutting down, but at this point I'm not even sure if it's better to deal with that.

http://www.anquer-quare.com/lif/ <- shows when the server we are playing on is up and down, check it once in a while, there's a big chance it'll be down for several hours.

Frontal
Alpha Tester

Re: Server reboot not working at all.

Post by Frontal » 28 Sep 2014, 15:16

This is by far my greatest issue with the game right now. I can't at all suggest my friends to buy this game because this has pummeled my confidence in this project a lot. You invest time and work into trying to populate a server so it's fun for everyone and competitive and everyone leaves the server and abandons it because it's never up. It's the worst case scenario.

Airmand

Post by Airmand » 28 Sep 2014, 15:27

^

Systemkaos

Post by Systemkaos » 28 Sep 2014, 15:55

I offer to admin the servers!!!!

Where do I send my CV, 10 years of sysadmin experience must account for something.

But yea, its a shame OFFICIAL servers are not kept up to standards. If the non official community is doing better, maybe they should look elsewhere for support.

Goltis

Post by Goltis » 28 Sep 2014, 16:22

Yeah the huge downtimes are really screwing the game up.
Coupled with the 10 min + loading times i get for some reason it makes the game much less enjoyable.
As Frontal said, bugs, crashes, missing content etc is all OK for an early alpha product, but PLS get your official servers to work properly.
If you release a game on Steam and take money for it people expect your servers to be online 24/7 or at least to get them restarted in the course of an hour when they crash.
If its too much to handle for the size of your team, maybe use some of the money from early access to hire someone to monitor the official servers and make sure they come back online fast.

Plazek

Post by Plazek » 28 Sep 2014, 16:49

It is the worst thing about the game right now.

Crazy_Viking

Post by Crazy_Viking » 28 Sep 2014, 16:50

#28 crashed about 24 hours ago, still offline...

#RipLiF

Flesh
Alpha Tester

Post by Flesh » 28 Sep 2014, 16:57

I agree with you all completely, however just to point out.. They don't need to have official servers up even. I mean, it doesn't say that there will be offical servers in the game info before you buy the product? :)

Might've been better for them to have waited with starting so many official ones.. until more stable+auto reboot etc.. And just keep a few with debug and such?

KingLapinou
Alpha Tester

Post by KingLapinou » 28 Sep 2014, 16:57

2 hours of uptime on serv #32 this weekend :/

Frontal
Alpha Tester

Post by Frontal » 28 Sep 2014, 16:59

Flesh wrote:I agree with you all completely, however just to point out.. They don't need to have official servers up even. I mean, it doesn't say that there will be offical servers in the game info before you buy the product? :)

Might've been better for them to have waited with starting so many official ones.. until more stable+auto reboot etc.. And just keep a few with debug and such?

Actually the devs did promise us 30 official servers.

Chassit

Post by Chassit » 28 Sep 2014, 17:01

Hey guys, to heck with the official servers, we have a new privately hosted server that is up with two admins now (I am trying to get permission to add it to our NMS in the NOC I work at too so we can remotely monitor it). Feudal Endeavors! Come see us !!
SKULLS FOR THE THRONE OF KHORNE!!!

Ecka
Alpha Tester

Post by Ecka » 28 Sep 2014, 17:13

Chassit wrote:Hey guys, to heck with the official servers, we have a new privately hosted server that is up with two admins now (I am trying to get permission to add it to our NMS in the NOC I work at too so we can remotely monitor it). Feudal Endeavors! Come see us !!

Private are worst

Admin can :
- kick ban in 1 second now
- Delete everything
- Add stuff
- etc ....

The people who stick on official don't come on private for this

We invade many private server
99% of them just ban you when you kill them (no griefing just kill)
They say you cheating because you rape them
So ... noway

I don't wanna waste my time to build stuff and kill the admin and get all my work down because someone have full power

Systemkaos

Post by Systemkaos » 28 Sep 2014, 17:18

Ecka wrote:
Chassit wrote:Hey guys, to heck with the official servers, we have a new privately hosted server that is up with two admins now (I am trying to get permission to add it to our NMS in the NOC I work at too so we can remotely monitor it). Feudal Endeavors! Come see us !!

Private are worst

Admin can :
- Delete everything
- Add stuff
- etc ....

So ... noway

I don't wanna waste my time to build stuff and kill the admin and get all my work down because someone have full power

Are admins really that bias and petty? I say you need to have played EVE, Darkfall, and any other game where this stuff is tolerated before you can admin a real server.

Chassit

Post by Chassit » 28 Sep 2014, 17:19

Well, there certainly can be that sort of thing that happens, but we don't do it. Our server is monitored and remains up.

Chassit

Post by Chassit » 28 Sep 2014, 17:20

Systemkaos wrote:
Ecka wrote:

Private are worst

Admin can :
- Delete everything
- Add stuff
- etc ....

So ... noway

Are admins really that bias and petty? I say you need to have played EVE, Darkfall, and any other game where this stuff is tolerated before you can admin a real server.

No generally not. Likely this guy IS one of those types of people and therefore has to project himself onto everyone else.

Flesh
Alpha Tester

Post by Flesh » 28 Sep 2014, 17:21

Frontal wrote:
Flesh wrote:I agree with you all completely, however just to point out.. They don't need to have official servers up even. I mean, it doesn't say that there will be offical servers in the game info before you buy the product? :)

Actually the devs did promise us 30 official servers.

I know Bobik said it in IRC (I was there) and maybe posted it here on the forum. What I wrote was that it isn't in the "official game info" on this webpage or on Steam-info, which new buyers would read.

Not trying to argue, just that I noticied it :)

Sugam

Post by Sugam » 28 Sep 2014, 17:26

Ecka wrote:

Private are worst

Admin can :
- Delete everything
- Add stuff
- etc ....

So ... noway

I can understand that but I also disagree. I help run an official server Bluefangservice - Chicago 11. The whole point of starting it was to be actively resetting the servers to keep them online all the time. I do not meddle with anything otherwise in the game. don't care what others do and if I get killed in pvp, well, that's just how it is. I am a pvp'r so I don't go crying if I get killed. it happens and in itself is still fun. But its up to you guys, I was on 16# and 32# and I forgot the other one, but it was hardly online and I like 1x skill while there really was not many servers that had that.

Chassit

Post by Chassit » 28 Sep 2014, 17:29

Sugam wrote:
Ecka wrote:

Private are worst

Admin can :
- Delete everything
- Add stuff
- etc ....

So ... noway

I can understand that but I also disagree. I help run an official server Bluefangservice - Chicago 11. The whole point of starting it was to be actively resetting the servers to keep them online all the time. I do not meddle with anything otherwise in the game. don't care what others do and if I get killed in pvp, well, that's just how it is. I am a pvp'r so I don't go crying if I get killed. it happens and in itself is still fun. But its up to you guys, I was on 16# and 32# and I forgot the other one, but it was hardly online and I like 1x skill while there really was not many servers that had that.

Exactly.

Ecka
Alpha Tester

Post by Ecka » 28 Sep 2014, 17:58

I add to this that a private can shut down too

I known you guys wanna grab people for your server
And i can't say nothing against that, it's cool.

Too much risk for people who like pvp
So the server private will be the fanfest for pveboys who cry and yell cheat when something wrong happen to them

Private not worth it

Chassit

Post by Chassit » 28 Sep 2014, 18:10

Ecka, it sucks that you've had negative experiences on private servers before. But it is not really fair to lump all people with private servers into groups like you have done. I certainly PvP (and in fact it is my main reason for everything else I do in a game). We rented a server simply because we could in fact have admin rights and reboot it whenever needed. Regardless though, I wish you good luck and happy hunting wherever you decide to go!

Systemkaos

Post by Systemkaos » 28 Sep 2014, 18:21

Chassit wrote:Ecka, it sucks that you've had negative experiences on private servers before. But it is not really fair to lump all people with private servers into groups like you have done. I certainly PvP (and in fact it is my main reason for everything else I do in a game). We rented a server simply because we could in fact have admin rights and reboot it whenever needed. Regardless though, I wish you good luck and happy hunting wherever you decide to go!

Its easier for people to abuse powers in privates for one reason or another. I also think its down to the fact people dont want to put all their energy and time in something any random person can discontinue at any moment in time.

Officials have a sense of security to them. Even if they are handled like the building of Nike shoes iPhones in China.

Chassit

Post by Chassit » 28 Sep 2014, 18:35

Systemkaos wrote:
Chassit wrote:Ecka, it sucks that you've had negative experiences on private servers before. But it is not really fair to lump all people with private servers into groups like you have done. I certainly PvP (and in fact it is my main reason for everything else I do in a game). We rented a server simply because we could in fact have admin rights and reboot it whenever needed. Regardless though, I wish you good luck and happy hunting wherever you decide to go!

Its easier for people to abuse powers in privates for one reason or another. I also think its down to the fact people dont want to put all their energy and time in something any random person can discontinue at any moment in time.

Officials have a sense of security to them. Even if they are handled like the building of Nike shoes iPhones in China.

I get you, I just felt like I was being accused of something which I do not do (perhaps I was mistaken to feel this way) and I generally don't deal well with those sorts of situations. I originally started on official servers too, mostly because they had relatively high user counts and therefore a community, but waiting around for hours every time the server went down was untenable.

Regardless, the invite is still open. Griefers won't be tolerated but PvP most certainly will be although we have very little built yet so they will be stone age battles for the time being hahah!

Ecka
Alpha Tester

Post by Ecka » 28 Sep 2014, 18:56

I will list all the experience i got so far on private :

- 1rst server
Run into a 10 men camp alone and kite them and loot some stuff right and left
Bring 2 friend and give them pitchfork
Going into the base and kill the 10 people
No grief and nothing except pvp

So before they ban us we got things like "You guys cheating, and some insult"

- 2nd server
Same things

- 3rd server
same situation except it was a streamer server
We got so many insult there you can't immagine

We go on "hanna montana server"
They have manage to build something beautiful
we did something like a 4 vs 15
We kill everyone and steal their loot
And kill again and again on repop
After this 30 min battle they all say "gf" on chat and we decided to give them back everything and give them some tips

This one didn't ban us and those guys was nice

Same than 1

Now since new patch we did something like 10 server
3,4 kills = ban ....

This is my experience so far

ps: if someone ask me, i can give all the server name

Chassit

Post by Chassit » 28 Sep 2014, 18:59

Man, that does indeed suck and I really cannot blame you for being cynical about it all after hearing that.

Happy Hunting sir.

Frontal
Alpha Tester

Post by Frontal » 28 Sep 2014, 19:11

You guys wouldn't be saying that if you had a dominant guild in your server that just killed and took everything from everyone everyday.

Most people can't take that and will just ban those people for the sake of their pixels. It's just how it is, the admins get mad and they ban people.

This won't happen in official servers.

Anyway you guys de-railed the thread way too much. Bobik said "they'd look into it" 6 hours ago and the servers haven't come up and nothing has been said. Sad times ahead.

Frontal
Alpha Tester

Post by Frontal » 29 Sep 2014, 09:07

Server has been down for 18 hours. wtf seriously.

Oscuro
Alpha Tester

Post by Oscuro » 29 Sep 2014, 09:11

only 18? pfff , server 28 is for 2 day :evil: :cry:

Frontal
Alpha Tester

Post by Frontal » 29 Sep 2014, 09:39

Haha this is terrible.

If this takes another week for a fix that won't even fix it then I'm done supporting the game in official servers and reporting bugs as well as most of the alpha testers in server 32.
AQ

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 29 Sep 2014, 11:29

Heya everyone!

Sorry, had no time to read all that discussion (heck, have no time for anything these days :( ). We're aware of problems with our autorestart and will fix them soon hopefully. But some servers are left down intentionally sometime in order to wait for a proper developer to debug it and to learn more of that bug that had caused that crash.

Official servers are ONLY way for us to get a RELIABLE data of what is going wrong on server side. Thousands of private and dedicated servers can not help us with that. Our official servers can do.

So if you really WANT to help us in finding and fixing those server crashes - please, join our official (better Official debug) servers and play there.

But if you want a solid gameplay experience, I'm afraid you should stick to some other dedicated servers so far. We simply have no time to properly monitor and GM our official servers so far. And no, we're not going to invite volunteer GMs because it will always be either GM abuse or a lot of whine about GMs abuse (even if there were no any).

Please, keep faith in us. Once we get that first paycheck from steam, move to a proper office and will be able to hire 1-3 GMs for official servers and a ticket system for interaction with them - everything should be fine then.

Davidbc

Post by Davidbc » 29 Sep 2014, 11:33

Bobik wrote:Heya everyone!

Sorry, had no time to read all that discussion (heck, have no time for anything these days :( ). We're aware of problems with our autorestart and will fix them soon hopefully. But some servers are left down intentionally sometime in order to wait for a proper developer to debug it and to learn more of that bug that had caused that crash.

Official servers are ONLY way for us to get a RELIABLE data of what is going wrong on server side. Thousands of private and dedicated servers can not help us with that. Our official servers can do.

So if you really WANT to help us in finding and fixing those server crashes - please, join our official (better Official debug) servers and play there.

But if you want a solid gameplay experience, I'm afraid you should stick to some other dedicated servers so far. We simply have no time to properly monitor and GM our official servers so far. And no, we're not going to invite volunteer GMs because it will always be either GM abuse or a lot of whine about GMs abuse (even if there were no any).

Please, keep faith in us. Once we get that first paycheck from steam, move to a proper office and will be able to hire 1-3 GMs for official servers and a ticket system for interaction with them - everything should be fine then.

Thank you :beer:

Return to General Discussion