Shield Bash needs balancing

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

Uno

Shield Bash needs balancing

Post by Uno » 07 Oct 2014, 06:34

Shield Bash should have a cooldown or a chance to be resisted. Currently you can completely disable a player with a continuous use of this ability.

Beerbatov

Re: Shield Bash needs balancing

Post by Beerbatov » 07 Oct 2014, 13:51

Uno wrote:Shield Bash should have a cooldown or a chance to be resisted. Currently you can completely disable a player with a continuous use of this ability.

Shhh no one needs to know.

But serious it should cost stamina like any other attack and it would be fine.

Tajin

Post by Tajin » 08 Oct 2014, 09:50

It should also be able to be resisted.

Maybe make it so you're more likely to get knocked down when you're moving and less likely when you have a solid footing.

Also, decreased effectiveness if bashing from the side and increased effectiveness when bashing from behind.

If the other player is blocking, the bash should numb him and momentarily bring his guard down but without knocking him off his feet completely.

Vardr
True Believer

Post by Vardr » 08 Oct 2014, 10:02

if you have a shield, you can only be bashed down from behind

Beerbatov

Post by Beerbatov » 08 Oct 2014, 13:05

Vardr wrote:if you have a shield, you can only be bashed down from behind
Tajin wrote:It should also be able to be resisted.

Maybe make it so you're more likely to get knocked down when you're moving and less likely when you have a solid footing.

Also, decreased effectiveness if bashing from the side and increased effectiveness when bashing from behind.

If the other player is blocking, the bash should numb him and momentarily bring his guard down but without knocking him off his feet completely.

The only reason you can perma stun people with it now is because it doesnt cost stamina, chance to resist and so forth just sounds over complicated and very RNG. If you got shield charged in real life wearing armor you would fall over everytime.

Making it cost stamina would solve the issue and wouldnt allow you to perma stun people.

Kjaskar

Post by Kjaskar » 09 Oct 2014, 09:15

Beerbatov wrote:If you got shield charged in real life wearing armor you would fall over everytime.

Making it cost stamina would solve the issue and wouldnt allow you to perma stun people.

I beg to differ. I have been shield-charged in real life wearing armor and shield-charged other people wearing armor (plate, chain, padded) and I can report that it is not as easy to bring an opponent down "just" by charging him with a shield.

Getting charged from behind or from a blindside on the otherhand makes you stumble over more frequently, but can be catched and "resisted" aswell depending on several factors.

What happens when you get charged upfront is that you'll tumble backwards, which breaks you out of formation, sometimes you'll stumble over someone/something and fall, other times you don't. But you don't "fall over all over the place". You stagger, tumble, slide, break out. You can evade it, even, let people charge through you, sidestepping it. All valid things.

This means - if we go for realism over gameplay here -

Shieldcharge/bash can be resisted, evaded, or fail in its full effect making it last shorter / do less damage overall.
Getting a Shieldbash resisted may or may not stagger the attacker itself, because of him loosing balance himself.

A shieldcharge is something entirely different to a shieldbash, too. And even a shieldbash isn't equal to another shieldbash. You can use the edge of a shield to crush weakspots (especially in the face) or you can swipe the shield against your oponent, using your own bodyweight to disable his balance. There is loads of techniques appliable here, all of which _absolutely_ should use up your Stamina and require special training to be more surefooted.

Though it should not allow anyone to be disabled over more than a few seconds, since a shieldbash isn't something you "can't cope with, somehow"

Just an overall mess of thoughts, here.

Viik

Post by Viik » 09 Oct 2014, 09:39

In Chivalry it's just one of the attack moves, we can have the same. The way it works right now is ridiculous. If I can push someone with a shield to make them fall over, I should be able to do the same without a shield, by kicking them or simply pushing.

Uno

Post by Uno » 09 Oct 2014, 12:23

Beerbatov wrote:If you got shield charged in real life wearing armor you would fall over everytime.

according to which physical principle?
And by the way why wearing armor should make any difference?
Shield bash should have a cooldown (or stamina consumption, pretty significant if you ask me) and/or chance to be resisted/avoided. Armor or no armor.

Beerbatov

Post by Beerbatov » 09 Oct 2014, 12:28

Kjaskar wrote:

I beg to differ. I have been shield-charged in real life wearing armor and shield-charged other people wearing armor (plate, chain, padded) and I can report that it is not as easy to bring an opponent down "just" by charging him with a shield.

Getting charged from behind or from a blindside on the otherhand makes you stumble over more frequently, but can be catched and "resisted" aswell depending on several factors.

What happens when you get charged upfront is that you'll tumble backwards, which breaks you out of formation, sometimes you'll stumble over someone/something and fall, other times you don't. But you don't "fall over all over the place". You stagger, tumble, slide, break out. You can evade it, even, let people charge through you, sidestepping it. All valid things.

This means - if we go for realism over gameplay here -

Shieldcharge/bash can be resisted, evaded, or fail in its full effect making it last shorter / do less damage overall.
Getting a Shieldbash resisted may or may not stagger the attacker itself, because of him loosing balance himself.

A shieldcharge is something entirely different to a shieldbash, too. And even a shieldbash isn't equal to another shieldbash. You can use the edge of a shield to crush weakspots (especially in the face) or you can swipe the shield against your oponent, using your own bodyweight to disable his balance. There is loads of techniques appliable here, all of which _absolutely_ should use up your Stamina and require special training to be more surefooted.

Though it should not allow anyone to be disabled over more than a few seconds, since a shieldbash isn't something you "can't cope with, somehow"

Just an overall mess of thoughts, here.

You should be able to negate it somehow for example blocking etc, i agree with you there. But having it on a chance would make it extremely RNG based, thats the point i was argueing.

The only reason you can perma stun at the moment is because it requires 0 stamina to shield bash. If it required stamina it wouldn't be a problem, you could hold a guy down for 2-3seconds then you run out of stamina.

Take into consideration that shield bashing does 0 damage and is only a stun.

Uno

Post by Uno » 09 Oct 2014, 13:58

Beerbatov wrote:The only reason you can perma stun at the moment is because it requires 0 stamina to shield bash. If it required stamina it wouldn't be a problem, you could hold a guy down for 2-3seconds then you run out of stamina.

Take into consideration that shield bashing does 0 damage and is only a stun.

What? 2-3 seconds is the amount of time (probably more though) you currently disable a player with shield bash, and meanwhile, you AND EVERYONE ELSE can hit the poor sod, so no it's not "only a stun that does 0 damage", it is a godly debuff that completely disables a player.

Tajin

Post by Tajin » 09 Oct 2014, 15:25

Keep in mind that this is only a shield bash and not a shield charge and even then it shouldn't automatically make you fall down.

Making it use stamina is good, but that won't be enough.
A second guy could use his stamina to keep you shield-bash-knocked-down constantly while his friend kills you with no effort.

In combination with the fact, that you don't even get any alignment hit from bashing people with your shield makes this very exploitable.

Beerbatov

Post by Beerbatov » 09 Oct 2014, 15:55

Tajin wrote:In combination with the fact, that you don't even get any alignment hit from bashing people with your shield makes this very exploitable.

I think it doesnt cause alignment drop because it doesnt do damage, probably a bug.

What? 2-3 seconds is the amount of time (probably more though) you currently disable a player with shield bash, and meanwhile, you AND EVERYONE ELSE can hit the poor sod, so no it's not "only a stun that does 0 damage", it is a godly debuff that completely disables a player.

That sounds like a realistic situation to be honest, if you were out numbered say in a 1 on 3 situation im sure they would knock you down and you wouldnt be able to get back up.

Take into consideration i do think it needs balancing i just dont think it should be down to RNG.

It should be able to be blocked/parried & cost stamina.

Atanar

Post by Atanar » 10 Oct 2014, 14:13

It needs to be activated via a button, and a cooldown.

Uno

Post by Uno » 13 Oct 2014, 16:03

Beerbatov wrote:

That sounds like a realistic situation to be honest, if you were out numbered say in a 1 on 3 situation im sure they would knock you down and you wouldnt be able to get back up.

Who said it's not realistic? But ultimately realism can come only AFTER gameplay. Gameplay wise the situation described is unabalanced and there is nothing you can further come up with to undermine the situation. You don't want it to be a RNG? You could have just written it once instead of coming up every post with a new statement that makes no sense, like "it's only a stun that does 0 damage". Besides to answer to this new statement of yours, no it's not realistic at all. A shield bash in real life doesn't automatically make you fall over. It depends on a number of conditions, none of which are taken in consideration ingame and none of which should be, for the sake of gameplay.

Beerbatov

Post by Beerbatov » 15 Oct 2014, 21:33

Uno wrote:
Beerbatov wrote:

Who said it's not realistic? But ultimately realism can come only AFTER gameplay. Gameplay wise the situation described is unabalanced and there is nothing you can further come up with to undermine the situation. You don't want it to be a RNG? You could have just written it once instead of coming up every post with a new statement that makes no sense, like "it's only a stun that does 0 damage". Besides to answer to this new statement of yours, no it's not realistic at all. A shield bash in real life doesn't automatically make you fall over. It depends on a number of conditions, none of which are taken in consideration ingame and none of which should be, for the sake of gameplay.

Did i say he said it wasn't realistic? I just stated it sounded like a realistic situation and it is IMO.

I said to take into consideration that it does 0 Damage because you can't kill someone by shield bashing you can stun lock because its NOT balanced at the moment.

Fair enough a shield bash wouldn't be 100% knock down, Speed bonus should come into play for example if it was over 20 speed bonus it would knock you down.

To me your post came off as very aggressive, if you have a problem with what i have posted have something constructive behind it other than
new statements that make no sense
. Not only that you havent even contributed to the thread with any suggestion on the matter. :)

The only point i was argueing was that it shouldn't be down to RNG.

Return to Feedback Section