Shield Block Rate Solution

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Shield Block Rate Solution

Post by Jezbelle » 19 May 2014, 22:18

I'm glad that this game is inspired by M&B. Great combat system. I know though that there is some debate over wether shields should be 100% block rate or not, and I have a solution.

My idea: Along with a 100% block rate from a shield, shielding would only last for a DURATION, depending on modifiers (eg. constitution, health, stamina).

This would make combat very exciting and realistic IMO. One would have incentive to block knowing that they will be fully protected, but they will want to block for as little amount of time as possible. Blocking quickly as a reflex would become the norm, so as to sap as little energy as possible, rather than hiding behind your shield.

Shield block duration could be based on anything you guys thought appropriate. It could even be a whole new stat/skill.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Re: Shield Block Rate Solution

Post by Siegbert » 20 May 2014, 05:37

That's what Gloria Victis does... holding up your shield will drain your stamina.
I can imagine that.

Monxer

Post by Monxer » 21 May 2014, 18:23

I like this idea. Maybe because it makes me think of how similar it is to DaS2 way of handling.

Maybe larger shields (tower shields, etc.) could have a higher stability allowing them to drain less stamina, but have a much higher strength requirement.

Paskiboy

Post by Paskiboy » 02 Jun 2014, 14:26

I don't agree at all. The main purpose of infantry during the middle ages was the strength of the shieldwall, mainly the vanguard infantry who constantly held their shield in front of them. For me, this suggestion just doesn't make much sense. However, hits to the shield from handheld weapons may cause stamina to drop, so that it is balanced with the strength of the shield itself to make it as realistic as possible.

An army that just had men on horseback were ideal in the middle ages, till the long and strong polearms came, but armor consequently also became better.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas