Starting a server for myself

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

Adriatictales

Starting a server for myself

Post by Adriatictales » 06 Apr 2015, 02:20

Ok, so I have been attempting to run my own server off of my home pc for just me and my family to play on.. I followed the instructions from this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wSj1BmtURY

and everything worked out great. I was able to create a server on my own pc and run my own world and even to have the GM admin rights as well. Here is the problem...

After installing mariadb and creating the database everything went smooth. however, after I was done playing I shut down my programs and the computer for the night and went to bed. The next morning I woke up and tried to reload, and now all I get is an error from the mysql service saying it cannot connect and I cannot load the database. I tried to search for solutions and found out just how complex sql is for the inexperienced, and after much meddeling just decided to roll back my pc and reinstall everything. I did this and once again was able to play just fine. Then, shutdown for the night and the problem appeared again. I know nothing of sql or servers, so enlighten me please...

Am I able to run my own server and still shutdown my pc at the end of the night or does my server have to stay on at all times?

How do I find the error logs necessary to trouble shoot this issue? I have searched online but did not turn up much with the standard google search..

Is there anything else I should know about this process that would be just good advice for a beginner...

And yes I know I could just rent a server but I am decently tech savy so I thought I could manage to do this on my own, I am just too inexperienced with servers and sql to know where I currently stand. Any help is greatly appreciated and if anyone can point me to the error logs I can post them here. So far the only error I get is that sql cannot connect.

Bigsteve

Re: Starting a server for myself

Post by Bigsteve » 06 Apr 2015, 03:01

Has the database engine been set-up as a service on your PC.
It sounds like the "mysql service" is the monitoring program on you system try.

Adriatictales

Re: Starting a server for myself

Post by Adriatictales » 09 Apr 2015, 02:09

UPDATE: Ok, so I went back and deleted everything one last time.. and then did some research on the problem. Great news is, I FIXED IT!!! So when I went back to reinstall, there was one thing I found that people were saying that seemed to make some sense, there was serveral files (which I later found out were logs for the server application) that people were saying to remove... I had gotten an error saying that the file size of one of these files was not a match for what the server thought it should be. Anyone who knows programming of any kind knows that when values don't match they can derail a program. So I looked into this deeper and confirmed most of this. Then I found one comment from a chap that led me down the right track. He mentioned that in the my.ini file there was a line of code that should be removed which when done would allow your server to stay as you left it with your world intact and as is. The line was:

sql_mode="STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_EN­GINE_SUBSTITUTION

Once I removed this entire line, I opened up an admin cmd prompt, navigated to the directory for the mysql, uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and then after heavy testing, it all works great! I still don't know if this was a correct solution but it has fixed the problem for now and now I can shut down my pc and start it up the next day and my world is safe. :Bravo:

Return to Newcomer Section