Steel Production

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

Self_reliant

Steel Production

Post by Self_reliant » 12 Sep 2015, 19:05

I might be beating a dead horse with this, but here goes.

Right now, steel production is ridiculously tedious. The whole system is in need of a revamp. This game is about realism, and this is one of the most unrealistic aspects. Here's my suggestions on how to fix it.

Steel has been in production for 4,000 years. By the feudal era, it was common, not some difficult to obtain, rare metal. The problem with steel in LiF is flux. get rid of it, pure and simple. Steel is created from iron ore that is put through multiple processings to remove excess carbon. Steel generally has less than 1% carbon, which makes it less brittle than iron.

To make steel less difficult to obtain in LiF:
1. Drop the flux. Seriously. Get rid of it.
2. Alter steel creation process:
Steel should be created in the Bloomery, using only charcoal for fuel, not wood (wood would add more carbon to the ore).
Place iron ingots (not bars or lumps) into Bloomery with charcoal and heat.
Smelt Steel. Steel production should also produce Slag, which could be recycled into Iron Lumps.
3. Profit!

This would simplify and speed up the production of steel, but the necessity of Iron Ingots would keep it sufficiently tedious to produce that it would not be out of place in the rest of the game.

Get rid of flux entirely. For mortar, just add a new element produced from mining: Limestone. Mortar is basically sand, lime and water.

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Re: Steel Production

Post by Khan- » 12 Sep 2015, 20:06

Steel =/= Iron

http://www.anselm.edu/homepage/dbanach/ ... -steel.htm

Iron was common, steel was not.
You have to cook it with high accuracy, or you'll make cast iron, a very very very fragile metal, ultra heavy, but needed for some things...

steel is highly resistant, more than iron... in middle age, steel wasn't properly made... blacksmith made a steel coat only, applying horn on the nearly finished blade... to harden it, but wasn"t as effective as true steel...
it's far way easier to make cast iron than steel.

1- flux is here to clean steel from slags...
2- it's already pretty easy to make steel, charcoal is made of wood... hmmmm, but charcoal burn longer... hmmm... you won't make iron from slags... hmmm...
3- learn.

then... you are wrong, sweetheart.
100% French speaking alliance of Royaume Franc : http://lifeisfeudal-fr.com/
Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

Airco

Post by Airco » 13 Sep 2015, 11:28

steel was indeed not common, and its not removing carbon that produces steel.
first time steel was invented was when "magicicians" added shit (yes real shit from pigs) and other stuf when the bar was made, nowadays we just add coal.
the reason the process has to be accurate is becouse to much carbon makes it fragile, bhut besides that steel is iron whit carbon added.
if u wanne compare the toughness, iron is more like rubber, not that hard and bending bhut not breaking isntantly.
steek on the other hand hardely bents bhut when it breaks it snaps like glass
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark2
Cpu: intel I5-4690 3.5Ghz
Cpu cooler: thermaltake Frio Extreme Silent 14 Dual
Mem: Corsair 16gb, Cmy16gx3m2a2133c11r
Gpu: Geforce 970, Asus STRIX GTX970 DC2OC 4GD5
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
HD: SAMSUNG 75E250RW SSD 850 EVO 250 GB

Gork

Post by Gork » 13 Sep 2015, 22:00

It's possible for server admins to lower Flux requirements for Steel smelting. Highly recommended.

Code: Select all
UPDATE recipe_requirement SET Quantity=2 WHERE RecipeID=132 AND MaterialObjectTypeID=476;
UPDATE recipe_requirement SET Quantity=1 WHERE RecipeID=138 AND MaterialObjectTypeID=476;
UPDATE recipe_requirement SET Quantity=1 WHERE RecipeID=144 AND MaterialObjectTypeID=476;

2x Flux required to craft Steel Ingot
1x Flux required to craft Steel Bar
1x Flux required to craft Lump of Steel

Hanz_knife
Devoted Believer

Post by Hanz_knife » 01 Oct 2015, 16:58

I think its "hard" to get on purpose. Will it be hardcore MMO when you could build up large castle with keep only by yourself? I think not, so you need to cooperate and then its pretty easy to gain steel.... 8-)
"Jistě, byl to narušitel a nejspíš vrah a s takovými se musí jednat bez milosti. To není jako práce s buzolou děti."

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 01 Oct 2015, 19:38

Hanz_knife wrote:I think its "hard" to get on purpose. Will it be hardcore MMO when you could build up large castle with keep only by yourself? I think not, so you need to cooperate and then its pretty easy to gain steel.... 8-)

Exactly. On your own it is really difficult to get the steal you need. With a group it is really easy. All you need to do is combine all the gathered materials into one location. Then, once players know what combinations are needed to product Flux, they just help themselves to those particular ingredients.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Return to Feedback Section