Stop Complaining About Flux

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
Dondonian

Stop Complaining About Flux

Post by Dondonian » 12 Oct 2014, 09:23

This game encourages teamwork and isnt supposed to be easy

have 3 gatherers gather herbs for 1 hour (100/100/100 w/ metal sickle)

then all pool your herbs into a single bag

have each person pull out their flux herbs

use 2 (not 3) flux herbs to make a flux

=60 flux a person per 1 hour of work out of each, so 180 flux per 1 hour if 3 people.

stop being scrublets

KingOfHell

Re: Stop Complaining About Flux

Post by KingOfHell » 12 Oct 2014, 11:41

Dondonian wrote:This game encourages teamwork and isnt supposed to be easy

=60 flux a person per 1 hour of work out of each, so 180 flux per 1 hour if 3 people.

stop being scrublets

so true.

Mojstermiha

Post by Mojstermiha » 12 Oct 2014, 12:10

100% true. We have set up a herb team long time ago:)

Viik

Post by Viik » 12 Oct 2014, 12:15

stop being scrublets

Ohh, thank you. We were so clueless how game mechanics works, this is some ground breaking research out there. Especially "metall" sickle...

Dondonian

Post by Dondonian » 12 Oct 2014, 14:12

Viik wrote:

stop being scrublets

Ohh, thank you. We were so clueless how game mechanics works, this is some ground breaking research out there. Especially "metall" sickle...

is steel not metal or something? This is clearly addressed to people who bitch about flux. Why are you taking offense, I'm not claiming to be the discoverer of this.

Carrion

Post by Carrion » 12 Oct 2014, 15:08

The problem with flux is it's only purpose is to create interdependancy between classes, it lacks meaning and realism that's for sure. I wrote a whole post explaining why this is bad gameplay unfortunately it was lost to the backhole that is my backbutton. Instead of complaining about people who complain about Flux how about we look at how the game mechanic can be improved.

Ore progression should go as follows:

Stone, Copper, Bronze, Iron, Steel
Furnace, ancient forge, large ancient forge, forge and anvil all with different sizes characteristics, etc.

Which should also correspond with 3/4 tech levels: Primitive, Bronze, Iron.

Mining Iron should requre a Copper or Bronze pickaxe at the min. Smelting and forging should be made 2x more difficult. I should be able to make locks out of copper bronze and iron. Steel can require flux, if they cannot figure out another way to get the gameplay but ultimately there should be a cheepo Iron version equilivent.

Ultimately they should make 3 tech varriations equilivants of all the buildings and tools.

And yes Bronze was still used very late into the iron age in some places.

Dondonian

Post by Dondonian » 12 Oct 2014, 15:25

Carrion wrote:The problem with flux is it's only purpose is to create interdependancy between classes, it lacks meaning and realism that's for sure. I wrote a whole post explaining why this is bad gameplay unfortunately it was lost to the backhole that is my backbutton. Instead of complaining about people who complain about Flux how about we look at how the game mechanic can be improved.

Ore progression should go as follows:

Stone, Copper, Bronze, Iron, Steel
Furnace, ancient forge, large ancient forge, forge and anvil all with different sizes characteristics, etc.

Which should also correspond with 3/4 tech levels: Primitive, Bronze, Iron.

Mining Iron should requre a Copper or Bronze pickaxe at the min. Smelting and forging should be made 2x more difficult. I should be able to make locks out of copper bronze and iron. Steel can require flux, if they cannot figure out another way to get the gameplay but ultimately there should be a cheepo Iron version equilivent.

Ultimately they should make 3 tech varriations equilivants of all the buildings and tools.

And yes Bronze was still used very late into the iron age in some places.

I could see the Bronze, and the progression makes sense, but I still don't see the problem with flux since you can max out forging/armor with iron.

Carrion

Post by Carrion » 12 Oct 2014, 15:52

The problem is it's not realistic in anyway shape or form and quickly becomes the only limiting factor in building production and the defacto currency.

Basically it's the only limiting factor to building a town, which requires 3 to 4 guys [full time] in a field gathering said magic herb, It just doesn't make any sence ( not how towns get built). It's also non persistent so once your guys "master the flux" they can pump out plenty of it by frequenting the same squares. Don't terraform those squares!

So initially it's a huge grind and once thats done there is no further rewarding gameplay to be had, it's simply a push button grind. I'd rather Herbalism become like small scale, high intensity farming, so you'd have to build little raised gardens to plant herbs in.

The type of steel that was avalible during this period was crucible steel, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucible_steel. Crucible steel's only ingredients are Refined Iron, charcol and sand ( plus heat) .

If they wanted to change it to "Flux Doped Charcol" and make it more complicated process that would be fine by me but there should be low tech alternitives to "steel locks" which showed up WAY WAY WAY later historicaly.
Last edited by Carrion on 12 Oct 2014, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

Noaga

Post by Noaga » 12 Oct 2014, 17:42

The fact that I see hardly no one wanting to be a Herbalist very often is sad and tells me that it is the back bone of the development of any buildings that a group wish's to build. An six friends and I spent over three hundred hours between our self's to only end up with less than one flux for one hour of game time. We even pooled the herbs together. The fact that every other profession in the game you only need one of, BUT you need three or more herbalists is telling me its broken.

Thylbanus

Post by Thylbanus » 12 Oct 2014, 19:40

Noaga wrote:The fact that I see hardly no one wanting to be a Herbalist very often is sad and tells me that it is the back bone of the development of any buildings that a group wish's to build. An six friends and I spent over three hundred hours between our self's to only end up with less than one flux for one hour of game time. We even pooled the herbs together. The fact that every other profession in the game you only need one of, BUT you need three or more herbalists is telling me its broken.

Then you are doing it wrong. I produced 16 flux in one hour, alone last night.

Carrion

Post by Carrion » 12 Oct 2014, 20:06

Agreed, you're doing something wrong, I've seen 3 guys pull 160ish in a day.

KingOfHell

Post by KingOfHell » 12 Oct 2014, 22:31

Carrion wrote:Agreed, you're doing something wrong, I've seen 3 guys pull 160ish in a day.

3 guys can pull 160ish in 1 hour, maximum 2.

Aldebaran

Post by Aldebaran » 13 Oct 2014, 04:05

I also grow tired of the complaining about Herbalists and Flux.

I play herbalist primarily, and love it! I sincerely hope they do not nerf or change it except to add to it!

Herbalist is the only character with an intelligence over drool cup candidate, it takes organisation, real intelligence and attention to detail to be a good herbalist which mirrors the increased intelligence stat this character has. Basically he is the chemist/doctor/pharmacist of the era.

"Flux" to me represents his input and insight into the molecular structure of the metals. A Blacksmith can pound, melt, shape and cast metal but he still needs a scientist to invent his alloys for him to work.

Since every herbalist utilizes herbs differently, I see them as a backbone to a booming future economy, with a well stocked trading post featuring a plethora of herb varieties.

I use a spreadsheet to log properties of every herb.

I laugh when I see threads and posts about how they bash and mash willy-nilly untill they find the flux combinations. Such a waste! :lol:

A smart herbalist will protect his local monopoly and therefore his prominent position in society, so... the spreadsheet stays with me! :twisted:

Sunguardian
True Believer

Post by Sunguardian » 13 Oct 2014, 04:25

Aldebaran wrote:I also grow tired of the complaining about Herbalists and Flux.

I play herbalist primarily, and love it! I sincerely hope they do not nerf or change it except to add to it!

Herbalist is the only character with an intelligence over drool cup candidate, it takes organisation, real intelligence and attention to detail to be a good herbalist which mirrors the increased intelligence stat this character has. Basically he is the chemist/doctor/pharmacist of the era.

"Flux" to me represents his input and insight into the molecular structure of the metals. A Blacksmith can pound, melt, shape and cast metal but he still needs a scientist to invent his alloys for him to work.

Since every herbalist utilizes herbs differently, I see them as a backbone to a booming future economy, with a well stocked trading post featuring a plethora of herb varieties.

I use a spreadsheet to log properties of every herb.

I laugh when I see threads and posts about how they bash and mash willy-nilly untill they find the flux combinations. Such a waste! :lol:

A smart herbalist will protect his local monopoly and therefore his prominent position in society, so... the spreadsheet stays with me! :twisted:

Well if herbalism doesn't change it'll just paint a nice big target on aspiring herbalists for any scraps of produced flux they have because we all know that's going to happen. :good:

Uno

Post by Uno » 13 Oct 2014, 07:14

Noaga wrote:The fact that I see hardly no one wanting to be a Herbalist very often is sad and tells me that it is the back bone of the development of any buildings that a group wish's to build. An six friends and I spent over three hundred hours between our self's to only end up with less than one flux for one hour of game time. We even pooled the herbs together. The fact that every other profession in the game you only need one of, BUT you need three or more herbalists is telling me its broken.

The sooner you recognize you are doing something wrong the sooner you will start producing flux like everyone else who stopped whining and started working. What is written in the OP is the reality, in a team of 3 you can EASILY pull out 100 flux in one hour.

Aldebaran

Post by Aldebaran » 13 Oct 2014, 08:12

Sunguardian wrote:
Well if herbalism doesn't change it'll just paint a nice big target on aspiring herbalists for any scraps of produced flux they have because we all know that's going to happen. :good:

There are two possible answers to this silly assertion, chose which one you think is true:

A - I waltz around with flux on me all the time, naked. Everywhere.

B- I make Flux for blacksmith, or for mortar as needed immediately, leaving herbs in locked large house.

Again, the average intelligence of the herbalist is superior.

Viik

Post by Viik » 13 Oct 2014, 09:02

Aldebaran wrote:
Sunguardian wrote:

There are two possible answers to this silly assertion, chose which one you think is true:

B- I make Flux for blacksmith, or for mortar as needed immediately, leaving herbs in locked large house.

So what would be the difference between 10 intelligence and 50 intelligence for herbalist?

You might want to try this, instead of spreadsheet:
lif-alchemy-tool-t3814/?hilit=herbs%20tool#p30869

Aldebaran

Post by Aldebaran » 13 Oct 2014, 09:21

Viik wrote:So what would be the difference between 10 intelligence and 50 intelligence for herbalist?

A much higher skill cap. Int raises skill cap above server cap limit (not enough though imo). ;)

You might want to try this, instead of spreadsheet:
lif-alchemy-tool-t3814/?hilit=herbs%20tool#p30869

Mine is easier to use, and makes discovery faster when starting a new character on new server. That one just looks prettier.

Sunguardian
True Believer

Post by Sunguardian » 13 Oct 2014, 10:03

Aldebaran wrote:
Sunguardian wrote:

Depends on the house really. For instance a large house can be broken into with little difficulty without hacking. Also any and every trip too and from the blacksmith would put both your route and your home location at risk if you didn't live within the safety of a town. Then there's the fact you have to go and gather the herbs. With flux being such a big staple in the advanced development of a town any rivalry town's main target is the herbalists.

It's just the reality of it really. The fact that 1 resource plays such a huge part in advancement in the game isn't what bothers me, because if you remove flux, then it'll be another resource that people complain about. What I dislike is that it's not being used correctly. This argument has been circled around to death so any point about it is moot.

Good to see some people actually want to play Herbalists though. Leaves me to my blacksmithy. 8-)

Viik

Post by Viik » 13 Oct 2014, 10:05

Aldebaran wrote:
Viik wrote:So what would be the difference between 10 intelligence and 50 intelligence for herbalist?

A much higher skill cap. Int raises skill cap above server cap limit (not enough though imo). ;)
...and? How is it related to herbalism? I thought you were saying something about bonus to skill... Which are mostly useless in long term.

Aldebaran

Post by Aldebaran » 13 Oct 2014, 10:27

Sunguardian wrote:Depends on the house really. For instance a large house can be broken into with little difficulty without hacking. Also any and every trip too and from the blacksmith would put both your route and your home location at risk if you didn't live within the safety of a town.

Smith next to my house. As long as door is kept claimed no worries. Plus, only I know what combination of herbs makes flux for me. Take all the crap herbs you need if you get in... the useful ones log out with me.

Next...

Then there's the fact you have to go and gather the herbs. With flux being such a big staple in the advanced development of a town any rivalry town's main target is the herbalists.

Plentiful herbs near beehive inside walls 10 tiles away. Yet another secret revealed.

Le' Sigh.

It's just the reality of it really. The fact that 1 resource plays such a huge part in advancement in the game isn't what bothers me, because if you remove flux, then it'll be another resource that people complain about. What I dislike is that it's not being used correctly. This argument has been circled around to death so any point about it is moot.

It makes perfect sense to me that a chemist or scientist has to be involved in metallurgy.

Good to see some people actually want to play Herbalists though. Leaves me to my blacksmithy. 8-)

It leaves you and your smithy at our mercy. (No Fluxie no bang bang with hammur)

Last edited by Aldebaran on 13 Oct 2014, 10:58, edited 4 times in total.

Aldebaran

Post by Aldebaran » 13 Oct 2014, 10:31

Viik wrote:
Aldebaran wrote:

...and? How is it related to herbalism? I thought you were saying something about bonus to skill... Which are mostly useless in long term.

Herbalism raises int. You asked, I answered.

No, it is not useless, I put those extra skill points to very good use.

Sunguardian
True Believer

Post by Sunguardian » 13 Oct 2014, 10:50

Aldebaran wrote:
Smith next to my house. As long as door is kept claimed no worries.

Except a big house has an area that allows people to jump out, guess what else it can do even if claimed.

it makes perfect sense to me that a chemist or scientist has to be involved in metallurgy.

Yes but not with flux. I agree that a herbalist should be required to make steel during the actual process (minigame of adding the right amount of carbonization or oxidization to the iron to produce steel.)

It leaves you and your smithy at our mercy.

You mean it leaves the town at your mercy. I can still smith without steel, but without steel who's going to make ovens? Or carts? or gatehouses? or houses for that matter! Anarchy I tell you!

Aldebaran

Post by Aldebaran » 13 Oct 2014, 11:02

Sunguardian wrote:Except a big house has an area that allows people to jump out, guess what else it can do even if claimed.

Wrong, large house, like mine has no balcony.

Big stone and wooden have balconies, but they are not jumpable, I've tried many times.

Yes but not with flux. I agree that a herbalist should be required to make steel during the actual process (minigame of adding the right amount of carbonization or oxidization to the iron to produce steel.)

For now, that's what flux represents.

You mean it leaves the town at your mercy. I can still smith without steel, but without steel who's going to make ovens? Or carts? or gatehouses? or houses for that matter! Anarchy I tell you!

Not just my mercy, every trade can go on strike and effect every other.

Viik

Post by Viik » 13 Oct 2014, 11:03

Aldebaran wrote:Herbalism raises int. You asked, I answered.

You made it sound that intelligence stat is somehow important for herbalist...
and I wasn't talking about extra skill points.

Aldebaran

Post by Aldebaran » 13 Oct 2014, 11:08

Viik wrote:
Aldebaran wrote:Herbalism raises int. You asked, I answered.

You made it sound that intelligence stat is somehow important for herbalist...
and I wasn't talking about extra skill points.

Sunguardian
True Believer

Post by Sunguardian » 13 Oct 2014, 11:30

Aldebaran wrote:
For now, that's what flux represents.

Flux right now actually represents a means to make herbalism tie into metallurgy since for the actual fact of the matter smithies already use many forms of flux, none of the early flux materials were actually made from herbs.

But again, I'd rather have herbalism tied into metallurgy because what do we dumb smithies know already using flux and all. :crazy:

Viik

Post by Viik » 13 Oct 2014, 11:42

Aldebaran wrote:Again, the average intelligence of the herbalist is superior.

Sometimes it's better to keep you mouth shut ;)

Keeves

Post by Keeves » 13 Oct 2014, 11:54

Flux ain't bad. Trading between characters is the key, really.

Kaltivel

Post by Kaltivel » 13 Oct 2014, 14:14

After finally getting to Herbalism myself I can confirm like many others that flux isn't difficult to get but I agree with Carrion; there is no reason why "cheapo" iron versions shouldn't be available to every metal item except the Hardened Steel Pickaxe. The need for flux to make locks is one of the major reasons progress on towns is stalled without an herbalist. Flux being required for mortar is no biggie because it makes 5 mortar at a time. Hell, requiring flux for steel isn't even that big of a deal. The problem is the few key items that can only be made from steel.

Return to General Discussion