Structural vulnerability

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Ariel
Alpha Tester

Structural vulnerability

Post by Ariel » 12 Feb 2014, 06:56

With the confirmation I got in the interactive FAQ's about siege ladders being implemented later I had an idea.

Ladders were a prominent part of medieval warfare, their objective was mainly to overwhelm the defenders on the battlements. However the issue was that this strategy had to be executed with extreme precision. A large number of ladders were expected to brace the walls within a small timeframe. If the number of ladders were too small, and didn't hit their mark, the defenders would just end up pushing the ladders off and overwhelming the attackers.

And so, here is my idea. The more efficient ladder strategy was infiltration. To sneak in a small team that would then go and sabotage a certain objective, or open the gate, giving a more direct attack for the main army. So this is it, my suggestion is that important structures such as gates be controlled via mechanisms such as switches, which could be exploited by attackers if they managed to infiltrate and make their way succesfully to it's location.

I believe this would add a whole new dimension to sieges, and force the defenders to take those certain objectives into consideration rather than just manning the walls and allow for different styles and approaches to combat to break through.

Blutaar
Alpha Tester

Re: Structural vulnerability

Post by Blutaar » 12 Feb 2014, 07:08

that's a good idea

if you wanna infiltrate a keep you have to skill climbing for example with climbing you can climb a wall up but you have to look if you climb the wall up at morning your enemy can see you easily and kill you fast...

climbing skill should only use a scout (light armored) not a warrior with 5 sword's and plate armor
Wyrd bið ful aræd!

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 12 Feb 2014, 07:17

You can't actually enter a foreign city without siege mode and the siege time is limited. Defenders will be on the walls and waiting for you.

Yet the suggestion is interesting because I would like to see somthing more than process of crushing walls/gates with siege mashinery and then clash of infantry with no bonuces for defenders.
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Ariel
Alpha Tester

Post by Ariel » 12 Feb 2014, 07:25

Blutaar wrote:that's a good idea

if you wanna infiltrate a keep you have to skill climbing for example with climbing you can climb a wall up but you have to look if you climb the wall up at morning your enemy can see you easily and kill you fast...

climbing skill should only use a scout (light armored) not a warrior with 5 sword's and plate armor

Aha! That climbing skill is something I have overlooked, thank you for reminding me Blutaar :)

Telakh wrote:You can't actually enter a foreign city without siege mode and the siege time is limited. Defenders will be on the walls and waiting for you.

Yet the suggestion is interesting because I would like to see somthing more than process of crushing walls/gates with siege mashinery and then clash of infantry with no bonuces for defenders.

My idea would be to do it during a siege. In my mind it kind of goes like, you sneak around and find an exposed part of the wall where no defenders seem to be, perhaps round the back, since I would think the defenders would be out in the front fending off the main army. I guess this strategy would be used in more areas with mountains and forested areas as it would most likely require one to move under cover.

Falke88
Alpha Tester

Post by Falke88 » 12 Feb 2014, 09:17

You guys have always to remember that just a few player will really "live" in Life is feudal. Therefore many towns will be unmanned on specific times and this would make such "missions" too easy to succeed.

Maybe I just missed a thing you added - but that's how I see that stuff.

Ariel
Alpha Tester

Post by Ariel » 12 Feb 2014, 09:54

Hmm, I can see where you are coming from Falke, perhaps the element of stealth and infiltration can be used on other aspects of the game. I can't think of anything right now but perhaps other players can :)

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 12 Feb 2014, 10:57

Aslong as you are only able to scale walls with siege-ladders during a siege I don't see any problems with it.

As a siege basically is an attack on your protected lands, your guild town, and none will look the same, this could offer some diversity in the besieging.

It wouldnt be much of stealth and infiltration but more adding a strategic point to the siege.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas