The forum rules, and administration

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Antiblitz

The forum rules, and administration

Post by Antiblitz » 19 Feb 2014, 16:39

First off id like to say hello, im not here to cause chaos, i dont want an argument, i do not even want to speak to the administrators, for i personally do not care to hear what you have to say, all it will do is release the beast, and you have the powers, not me. The only person this is meant towards is Bobik himself. Secondly, this is personal opinion, im sure some of you may share it, but this opinion is mine, and mine alone, not a collective thought of a group. There will be parts of hightened emotion as you read, however, please read this with neutrality, it isnt a rant, it isnt meant to be angry, its meant for discussion, criticism, and scrutiny.

First off, the rules. I get why they are in place, i understand them and are aware of them, the rules keep order, humility and civility to the forums. However i question not the intent of the rules but why you force away people who cant speak their own language. I get that you do not want to muddle the forum with languages from every country in the world, but why must this be enforced upon people who are recruiting only specific cultures? Not everyone has the great education that others have, some can barely speak english and you are forcing a man to use google translate to make broken english posts in his guild threads, it doesnt make sense.

So what im attempting to get out of this is simple, allow the use of a persons native language in the guild chats, this will allow players to bond with one another, while keeping the english side of it to the rest of the forums for everyone to read. We are all aware that an english speaking man isnt going to join a group of spaniards who can barely speak english, it just doesnt make sense, so why force them to post that way, We all know they want people they can interact with. Not only that, but it makes the guild appear unintelligent, it makes them look childish when you read their posts and realize it was all google translated and doesnt make any sense. People dont want an outward appearance that pushes people away.

TL;DR version of above:(not associated with what is below the line)
allow the use of native languages in the guild chats, while still using the strict english format for the rest of the forum, this will allow people to interact, and not push away people who may not have had the luxury of learning english.

I myself can only speak english well, but i find this just absurd and really want to push to see this go through, if not for the sake of others, for i am a man of the people!

END of TL;DR
------------------------------------------------------------------

Next on my list, the administrators;
I of course have had my problems seeing eye to eye with them, i understand there is a certain duty to keeping the forums clean, and i myself for a lack of better terms "administrate the public" irl. However i do not see the need to be short, i do not see the need to not answer peoples questions, nor do i see the need to lock topics without assisting the person.

There should be no reason that a administrator comes out and makes a snappy short remark at a person who is clearly new to the game. Even with the remark that everyone should read the 600 page faq sheets is silly, not everyone has time to piss away hours scrolling through that long list of questions, sometimes seeking a knowledgeable person for questions is better, in which case i look to the all knowing administrator to always be the guide in the darkness, not the evil lurking in it.

When you become an administrator, you tend to give up personal opinions, because your new title is one of faq's and knowledge, no longer personal opinion. Your personal opinion should never come into the conversation when speaking to players, as your title makes you the subject of question. You represent this company, and when you toss around those opinions, you destroy the image the company is attempting to set as well as lower your own.

Answer the damn new guys question, do not leave him on a cliff hangar, you are practicing bad business, you are forcing away people by being a prude ass. Answer his question, give him links that support your answer, hold his hand if need be, but guide the guy to the light.

This is not guiding:
crowd-funding-t766/

You neither answered his questions, nor gave him a link that could remotely help him at all, congratulations, well done, fine administrating. The new guy could have simply read the facts and possibly found his answer, but he instead chose to ask for help, and then received none in return and was thrown out.

Merging topics and locking threads; In the suggestion forum, people make suggestions, whether you agree with them or not is up to you. However, they are suggestions, not random topics about nonsense in the general discussion, there is no need to close a persons suggestion thread. It doesnt make any sense, just let the topic die and fade away into nothingness when it runs out of steam, dont just shut down a mans topic because you can.
Merging topics, merge the damn things when they are one in the same, stop just closing everyones topics, maybe that guy who started a near identical thread could have his question asked by simplying merging the thread into the other one, rather then smiting him all together and leaving him with nothing but a bad taste. The guild discussion and recruitment, they are all the same thing, technically we really dont need two separate areas for this, but thats besides the point. The point is, why did you merge everyones threads into giant threads without sending a message first to the groups, you could have simply told them to make them into separate entities by having them comply within 48 hours, after that they would be merged. Instead you destroy several groups threads, and then make sure your own threads are in compliance, well done, what an ass you are.

Im sure there was more i intended to write about, however ive lost steam as the writing went on. Maybe ill post more as it comes to me, but so far this book is thick. Anyways, again, like i said in the first paragraph, i do not want to argue with people, i dont want some sort of stupid witty comment from the administrators either, its a topic about the discussion of the social life of this forum as well as telling you how to do your job.
Last edited by Antiblitz on 19 Feb 2014, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

Cloud
Alpha Tester

Re: The forum rules, and administration

Post by Cloud » 19 Feb 2014, 16:46

>tl:dr is actually longer than the normal version.

Antiblitz

Post by Antiblitz » 19 Feb 2014, 16:48

Cloud wrote:>tl:dr is actually longer than the normal version.

lol that was meant for just the specific paragraph, it was meant to shorten the above view, not the entirety of the post, but ill fix it to make it a bit easier, lol.
Last edited by Antiblitz on 19 Feb 2014, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 19 Feb 2014, 17:03

I have read almost all of your post. And I think that you are right in some moments.

We can allow specific language on guild recruitment boards. But IMHO it will be also correct to duplicate important info in English.

As about moderation activities - I'll try to find some time and review those. On one side I do understand our moderators - there is a certain amount of players that just go straight ahead into posting a topic without ANY efforts to use "search" feature. It is NOT necessary to scroll all our FAQ pages - searching should be quite enough.
On other side yes, explanations can be wider or more relevant.

Thank you for your post, I'll try to improve that side of our project.

Antiblitz

Post by Antiblitz » 19 Feb 2014, 17:12

thank you, wow, ive never been more pleased then to see a developer come right out and respond so swiftly. Truly amazing, and this is why i know this will be the game, because this guy ^^^^ freaking Bobik, has his crap straight.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 19 Feb 2014, 19:07

I have put forward an idea about adding multi-language forum section for these big groups that would like to talk freely in their own language. It will most likely be accepted.

Wrekkoning
Alpha Tester

Post by Wrekkoning » 19 Feb 2014, 19:15

Bobik wrote:We can allow specific language on guild recruitment boards. But IMHO it will be also correct to duplicate important info in English.

Looks like you are to late for your "ground breaking" Idea Arrakis. Bobik beat you to it. But good try!

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 19 Feb 2014, 19:27

What I meant were general multi-language section, not only for recruitment.

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 19 Feb 2014, 20:40

I have started a newbie-questions thread a week ago in the New players section but it was locked for the reason of "they must read faq instead of asking".
And the section itself is just full of "hello, my name is Harry Porter" threads and I can't see a reason why we can't keep a single thread for the "hello" posts like it is done in the testers' section.
The new players' section does not serve it's purpose IMHO.
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

finalreview
Alpha Tester

Post by finalreview » 20 Feb 2014, 07:28

IMO: Mod reads thread, mod types basic search and finds answer = thread locked.

If the mod cannot find an answer in the first page of search info then leave the thread open and lock it after answered. When there is less than 10 new topics and less then 100 new posts a day, letting the community help new players seems more important then keeping the forum clean. If it is a dumb question no one will respond.

Fawkes
Alpha Tester

Post by Fawkes » 20 Feb 2014, 07:59

It's all about experience, dudes. It'll come by time.
Feedback threads like these are extremely important to get people who are not the most experienced in terms of maintaining a gaming/support forum on trail.

On the topic of foreign languages: You will need at least one active mod/admin for each foreign section who is able to speak both english and this language on a decent level. Fully unmoderated sections tend to become horrible sh*tholes eventually.

@finalreview: The problem is that the mod does not have a greater insight than we do (on most things, at least, I assume?), which makes him a more or less common user with the task "keep the forum clean". Now, I know what I'm talking of when I say that this is a tough job for a single person, especially if he's not too experienced in such a kind of forum. A support forum (and yes, this is very close to one of those: User asks/proposes, Dev or experienced user answers/helps) is pretty demanding because it does not only require the mod to keep the boards clean, he also has to be a knowledgebase of pretty much everything around what the forum is about, so he can answer questions properly.

Oh, and onr last tip: Don't close threads before the OP gave his 'ok'. Aka "You can solve your problem by XY, you can check more detailled anywers here and there and blah. Do you have any other problems or questions?"
It doesn't really improve a users time on the forums when his thread simply gets shut down. Same for merging, but OP pointed that out pretty well.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 20 Feb 2014, 12:56

I wish to apologize those who feel negative about my moderation performance, my previous administration & moderation jobs required much more strict approach, which actually was a very long experience.

Though of course I will adapt to the needs of users on this forum to give them possible the best experience in this community.

Sincerely
Arrakis

Return to General Discussion