the mercenary - a valid playstyle?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

the mercenary - a valid playstyle?

Post by Siegbert » 05 Apr 2014, 21:11

I think I recall hearing that those instanced open field battles will have an approximate 24h time frame beforehand to set up troops fighting on both sides.
That leads me to wonder if you might be able to make a living out of fighting different factions' wars for money or just for the fun of it...

In Mount&Blade there is this multiplayer mod "Strategus" in which battles are scheduled very much like it sounds for LiF:
you can sign up for a battle on a web site and join the server when the battle commences. I haven't done it but this seems to be the system.

So do you think you could fight in scheduled battles all the time if you wanted and bring in your expertise and fighting power?
It seems to be the perfect playstyle for people who are easily bored by building houses or digging holes into the ground. :P

Hitty40
Alpha Tester

Re: the mercenary - a valid playstyle?

Post by Hitty40 » 05 Apr 2014, 23:49

Mercenary work would be something I'm interested in doing. My idea for creating a group would be to either be nomads, which makes it easier to travel around, only work the land when we need to or when we need to stop for the night, or make a small permanent town, get food growing, keep any form of upkeep costs down and train troops to fight depending on what is needed. Use only whatever is given to us at a reasonable price for the most part. If you wanna join and only work, that's fine, I don't care. But if for some reason we get attacked you better be out there helping and don't expect to get paid or anything from just working the town, it's a mercenary outfit, for christ's sake.

Protunia
Alpha Tester

Post by Protunia » 06 Apr 2014, 00:55

For sure killer for hire will be a valid play style. I can see bands of players getting paid to do lots of things. ;)

OO_Zoe

Post by OO_Zoe » 06 Apr 2014, 20:04

I hope it will be as I have a group for about twenty guys waiting on this game.
immortality awaits, in Asgard's hall I'll guarantee
in the ranks of the brave, you'll have a place if you follow me

Tusak

Post by Tusak » 12 Apr 2014, 00:37

I am an active player on crpg-strategus that you mentioned in your post.
I think, what is missing in it is time place coordination. For example you can fight for any faction anytime. You don't have to be around. And you are fighting as their tickets so you don't have to worry about anything. Neither your own life nor wasting tickets.
In LIF, being a merc would be cool but only if we fight for our life, living and we should participate the battle by actually going there.
I still recommend crpg-strategus for anyone who is waiting for LIF. The best for now. :)

NiveusCornix

Post by NiveusCornix » 12 Apr 2014, 02:33

The only fault with this play style is that if there are too many people that want to play like a mercenary there might not be enough work for them to do. Considering a mercenary outfit depends on kingdoms that are wealthy enough and even want to hire merc groups to fight with them. But of coarse this is feudal life and Im sure there'll be plenty of people in need of a killing.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 12 Apr 2014, 08:51

Tusak wrote:I am an active player on crpg-strategus that you mentioned in your post.
I think, what is missing in it is time place coordination. For example you can fight for any faction anytime. You don't have to be around. And you are fighting as their tickets so you don't have to worry about anything. Neither your own life nor wasting tickets.
In LIF, being a merc would be cool but only if we fight for our life, living and we should participate the battle by actually going there.
I still recommend crpg-strategus for anyone who is waiting for LIF. The best for now. :)

I asked about that in FAQ and Bobik said once the battle starts you will be transfered to the battle field.
I think that's lame. You should have to go there beforehand, at least be on the same server. Traveling should be encouraged. And meeting up with your comrades on the field of combat is a good reason to travel :)

NiveusCornix wrote:The only fault with this play style is that if there are too many people that want to play like a mercenary there might not be enough work for them to do. Considering a mercenary outfit depends on kingdoms that are wealthy enough and even want to hire merc groups to fight with them. But of coarse this is feudal life and Im sure there'll be plenty of people in need of a killing.

You wouldn't need to pay them though. They could just loot their enemies.

Tusak

Post by Tusak » 13 Apr 2014, 21:25

Yeah, think of DayZ for example. People travel nonstop yet it sells and fun. That's lame and unrealistic. Bah!

Return to General Discussion