~*[The Vatican]*~

For the sole purpose of guilds recruiting members.

Dailato
Alpha Tester

~*[The Vatican]*~

Post by Dailato » 21 Dec 2013, 03:47

~*The Papal States*~

Deum Invictum

*RP-ish intro, skip if not interested in such things*

Hear ye, hear ye! Today I bring glad tidings for all, who have faith in our Lord! Gather round all ye believers, and listen, for a great truth has been revealed to me.
This new land we find ourselves in, this land full of riches, it was gifted to us by our Lord, for a purpose! And I can tell you, it was not for yet another place of war and suffering, no haven for bandits and marauders, no refuge for thieves and murderers!

Nay, it was not meant to be squandered on such petty fools, nor on the insignificant grievance and slights between one who claims king and yet another! Hear me now, for what the Lord revealed to me was not simply this knowledge, but also a quest! A quest to forever change this promissed land into one of peace and plenty for all faithful souls.

I have been instructed to gather the faithful, and found a city, deep in the fertile wilderness. A holy city, an indomitable city of unimaginable beauty and glory, a city for faithful such as you! If you allow me a moment I will sketch you a rough version of the cities outline, so you know of what I speak.

But no city can be defended without strong men and women along the battlements! We will be surrounded by enemies, heretics, heathens, sinners, and those simply envious of our splendor. To this purpose the Lord has instructed me to find one capable of leading such faithful, with whom I will found the Holy Order. An order of knights, marksmen and templar not only capable of defending our city, but crushing our enemies into the dust from whence they came! Their very appearance will strike fear into the hearts of the unfaithful, their zeal burning hotter than the fires in which their armour was crafted. For each ray of sunlight reflecting off their sword, a drop of sinners blood will be spilled, so revealed to me the Lord!

But! That was not his final commandment. Lastly this powerful city will serve as a foundation for other faithful to flock to. Through peace and through war, through politics and economics, a nation will be formed. A nation capable of uniting this land under one rule, under one banner, and under one god! The Papal States!

I am your Pope, Dailato, and together we will turn this land into something worth living for, worth dying for! We will turn it into the promissed land, so sayeth our Lord!
*RP-ish intro end*

The Vatican

Servi Dei

While the Papal States will eventually consist out of multiple guilds, we are starting recruitment for The Vatican, the core guild of the Papal States that we will start the game with when it launches.

In the most general sense, the Vatican is a guild for all types of players, with specialized elements for crafting, pvp, diplomacy and subterfuge.
Roleplay is highly encouraged in all activities, so long as it doesn't get in the way of the activity, but is by no means required. In this respect a "if you don't want to join them, leave them be" policy is in effect, don't go ruining other's fun because you don't particularly enjoy it (even if watching people trying to stay in character while you quote arnold schwarzenegger is hilarious).

The Holy city is meant to be a place where all members can relax, socialize and have a good time, as well as make good money by being a trading hub.
The Vatican contains three major elements which you can apply for.

1. The Holy See, the Diplomatic and leadership section of the Vatican. If you enjoy forging alliances, building relations, setting policy, spreading the word and watching a city full of people flourish for your efforts, this is the place for you.

2.The Holy Order, the military branch of the Papal states. Highly trained, disciplined, and well equipped soldiers count for two, and these are the very best. If you like your PvP to have style, organization, and a not too restrictive moral code, this is the place to be.

3.The Faithful, a system of crafters, traders, and administrators which is set up to work together in such a way as to minimize the burden on all individuals while providing benefit to the whole. If you love crafting, trading, managing the flow of large quantities of goods, or helping to build and beautify a magnificent city, this is for you!

Some of the general benefits of being in the guild include:
Provision of food and housing for everyone.

For the PvP-ers: A standard (good-looking) uniform and weapon which is replaced if lost during service, in-house PvP tournaments, training and organization, a target-rich environment (let's be honest here, open-world pvp full loot? alot of people gonna burn in hell)

For the Crafters\Gatherers: Tools and materials provided for jobs, and a regular amount of said jobs (good feeling of contribution and appreciation). Crafting tournaments/other non-combat competitions.

For the Traders:
Goal-oriented trading, and a guilds worth of wealth to start off with. PvP protection from the Holy Order, and setup of caravans for epic hauls. Plenty of transportation needs to help people out with.

For the RP-ers: City-wide RP events, including regular sermons from the Pope herself, and holy-day festivities.

For more details on various roles (and questions about them) please see the guilds discussion thread Discussion Thread so we can keep this thread clean for applications.

As a final note there is a fourth branch of the guild that players can partake in but it can not be openly applied for. The Inquisition is the part of the Vatican that, under leadership of the Inquisitor, sniffs out and eliminates heresy, wherever it may lie hidden. If this kind of gameplay is of interest to you please contact via PM instead.

Yours truly -The Pope
Last edited by Dailato on 13 Feb 2014, 20:10, edited 4 times in total.

Zahk

Re: ~*[The Papal States]*~

Post by Zahk » 22 Dec 2013, 06:58

This sounds really good!

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 22 Dec 2013, 09:10

Glad to hear you think so too :D , were you interested in joining?

Demonic

Post by Demonic » 23 Dec 2013, 12:35

Do you even need to Ask? Just write me there and count me in.

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 23 Dec 2013, 13:35

Good to have you aboard nick :D

Demonic

Post by Demonic » 23 Dec 2013, 14:44

Dailato wrote:Good to have you aboard nick :D

You and your names... -.-"

Sokol

Re: ~*[The Vatican]*~

Post by Sokol » 24 Dec 2013, 17:27

This seems interesting enough. :D

Demonic

Post by Demonic » 24 Dec 2013, 18:02

Trust me. With Dailato around, everything is interesting :evil:

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 24 Dec 2013, 23:47

Haha, thanks nick :P

@Sokol
Did you want to apply? There's more information on specific roles in the guilds discussion thread, but if you allready have some idea of what you want to do/be I can probably tell what'd best fit :)

Rioshiavi

Post by Rioshiavi » 09 Jan 2014, 13:43

This guild looks really interesting would love to join,
and do some mining and crafting.

The Inquisition sounds really cool too

Do you have any sort of teamspeak?

Demonic

Post by Demonic » 09 Jan 2014, 14:08

Welcome, welcome :) The Grand Architect is always in need of new workers.

Mkay, now seriously, I'm glad you like our guild :) The more people we start with, the more fun :)

P0stpwned

Post by P0stpwned » 24 Jan 2014, 01:14

"regular sermons from the Pope herself"

Pass for blasphemy.

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 24 Jan 2014, 21:56

P0stpwned wrote:"regular sermons from the Pope herself"

Pass for blasphemy.

You got a problem take it up with the Lord, he doesn't much care about gender. Else why send me this vision to build the Vatican and Papal States?

Speaking of which, you should probably look up the meaning of blasphemy, we're busy doing the opposite here, worship and following.

So if you truly care about the Lord and being blasphemous or not, we are who you want to join.

If you want so show of your skill at portraying a closed-minded sexist however, the internet is in fact the right place for that, just not this thread, or this board, really.

Other than that, have a good day to you too.

Yours truly -The Pope.

P0stpwned

Post by P0stpwned » 24 Jan 2014, 22:27

lol Sexist for accurately describing unchangeable dogma (unchangeable even for the Pope, that is)? If you say so.

Women cannot be priests or popes in the Catholic Church. Unfortunately that's not even up for debate, because it's considered, as I mentioned, dogmatic truth and therefore unchangeable by any man.

...Not to get into a big thing here or anything. It's an interesting concept for a guild, just historically and theologically inaccurate and impossible.

Jaizaa

Post by Jaizaa » 24 Jan 2014, 23:29

Hey,
I want to play a woodsman if you will have me, not really into RP but each to their own I guess

Demonic

Post by Demonic » 26 Jan 2014, 00:46

P0stpwned wrote:...Not to get into a big thing here or anything. It's an interesting concept for a guild, just historically and theologically inaccurate and impossible.

And where exactly is the problem? LiF is a game. The world is different, the setting is different, the Catholic church does not exist. Vatican's religion (the in-game one) is based on Christianity, but it's not similar.

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 26 Jan 2014, 15:14

Jaizaa wrote:Hey,
I want to play a woodsman if you will have me, not really into RP but each to their own I guess

sounds good, welcome :D

Added » 26 Jan 2014, 17:34

P0stpwned wrote:lol Sexist for accurately describing unchangeable dogma (unchangeable even for the Pope, that is)? If you say so.

Women cannot be priests or popes in the Catholic Church. Unfortunately that's not even up for debate, because it's considered, as I mentioned, dogmatic truth and therefore unchangeable by any man.

...Not to get into a big thing here or anything. It's an interesting concept for a guild, just historically and theologically inaccurate and impossible.

Ah, well, putting aside the so-called "rumours" of a historical female Pope in the past, as Demonic said, we take alot of the style from the catholic church, as well as many so-called "christian" values (e.g. don't be a dick).

The good thing about fantasy though, is that we can have the good parts (awesome style, generally good values, and worthwhile traditions) without having to keep the parts we don't like (such as child molestation, sex-locked offices, and denial of scientific facts).

We are as such, certainly not a re-enactment guild, though we have strong roleplay tendencies in that we have a goal and method that, within the limits of the game, align themselves to a christian worldview, and with a very catholic style of, well, style.

So yes, we are not necesarilly historically, or theologically 100% accurate, but then we don't aim to be, we're here to have a good time too. And for me, playing as the pope (in this case, female) is alot of fun.

Hopefully this clears up your misconceptions as far as the name and nature of our guild is concerned.

Yours truly -The Pope

P0stpwned

Post by P0stpwned » 26 Jan 2014, 17:34

- 5. No posts of copyrighted material, lengthy articles, or posts of an overtly political or religious nature (ie. proselyting).

[comment]Ok again not to get into a big thing here, but denial of scientific facts? Pretty sure the Catholic Church is one of extremely few religions in the world which is compatible with the theory of evolution. Multiple popes have even spoken in support of such theories.

Also, the fact that you mention child abuse just goes to prove how bigoted and misinformed you are. The Catholic Church as a global organization with thousands of employees, including priests, have a far lower rate of child molestation than any other organization that deals with children (such as sports teams, schools, protestant churches, etc.). This is putting aside the fact that these "children" are, in 90% of cases, adolescent males and the true problem lies with priests that are attracted to those young men, not with "pedophiles" in the classic sense. Which does not excuse the behaviour of those who have committed these crimes (I say hang them), but certainly the criminal acts of an extreme few should not condemn the entire Church.

I have to say, having a clearly rabid group of anti-Catholic bigots running around spreading lies about the Church while cosplaying as The Vatican in-game is pretty offensive, and I don't get offended easily. I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to do it, but it's pretty sad nonetheless.[/comment]

Demonic

Post by Demonic » 26 Jan 2014, 17:55

Sigh, why is religion always a starter for these wall of texts? Cmoon, take it easy. I get it, you're probably a christian, but noone here is trying to insult christianity.

Just saing...

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 26 Jan 2014, 19:18

P0stpwned wrote:Ok again not to get into a big thing here, but denial of scientific facts? Pretty sure the Catholic Church is one of extremely few religions in the world which is compatible with the theory of evolution. Multiple popes have even spoken in support of such theories.

Also, the fact that you mention child abuse just goes to prove how bigoted and misinformed you are. The Catholic Church as a global organization with thousands of employees, including priests, have a far lower rate of child molestation than any other organization that deals with children (such as sports teams, schools, protestant churches, etc.). This is putting aside the fact that these "children" are, in 90% of cases, adolescent males and the true problem lies with priests that are attracted to those young men, not with "pedophiles" in the classic sense. Which does not excuse the behaviour of those who have committed these crimes (I say hang them), but certainly the criminal acts of an extreme few should not condemn the entire Church.

I have to say, having a clearly rabid group of anti-Catholic bigots running around spreading lies about the Church while cosplaying as The Vatican in-game is pretty offensive, and I don't get offended easily. I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to do it, but it's pretty sad nonetheless.

You say you don't want to make a big deal out of this, but your writings seem filled with emotion. Might I asume that the Catholic Church is a subject that lies close to your heart for one reason or another?

Let me assure you I hold no particular ill will towards the catholic church or those who claim membership to it. I was merely stating some of the negative things associated with the church to show that I differentiate our guild from the historical entity with reason; so that everyone can feel comfortable being associated with the guild, where they would not be if it was a literal incarnation of the catholic church. I was not commenting on the severity of these flaws, nor the specific contents of these flaws.

I've made an effort to keep real world religious beliefs seperate from our guild, despite it's obvious inspiration. I've made no reference to the catholic (or any) church, nor the bible or any of the holy figures within it (unless you believe that referring to a (monotheistic) god as the "Lord" is unique to the catholic church, in which case I have news for you buddy).

Despite this however, I hope you realize it's not up to me how you feel about our guild.

It's your choice whether or not you see this as a tribute to the historical Vatican and Papal States, with modern day adaptations to it's functioning.

Or, if you prefer, a hateful slandering of an untouchable and holy institution.

This is not a choice I can make for you.

Yours truly -The Pope

P.S. if you insist on continuing this conversation please do so via P.M.

P0stpwned

Post by P0stpwned » 26 Jan 2014, 19:34

"a hateful slandering of an untouchable and holy institution." <-------That one.

lol Don't mind me, I hope you aren't taking this too seriously. I like to debate and saw an opening. It's obvious you're no stranger to argument yourself.

Like I said, great concept for a guild overall; just a shame that you seem to be missing the big picture. I'll stop posting on this thread, but I wish you and your guild the best, and I'll be sure to stay out of your way since you guys look like you'll become a pretty dominant force.

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 26 Jan 2014, 23:23

Thank you for your support :D

We wish you best on your journey as well.

Deum Invictum.

Yours truly -The Pope

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 12 Feb 2014, 12:30

Merged Discussion post with recruitment post as per the request of Falke88

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 12 Feb 2014, 12:31

Dailato wrote:Merged Discussion post with recruitment post as per the request of Falke88

I think I just feinted from just scrolling through that beast :D

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 13 Feb 2014, 05:50

Thokan wrote:
Dailato wrote:Merged Discussion post with recruitment post as per the request of Falke88

Yeah I know right? I'll probably cut it into a new post, this was just to prevent losing all information immediately

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 13 Feb 2014, 08:43

Dailato wrote:
Thokan wrote:

Yeah I know right? I'll probably cut it into a new post, this was just to prevent losing all information immediately

Sounds like a plan. It a lot more manageable for my tiny brain when reading it as two posts.

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 14 Feb 2014, 08:34

well turns out that when falke tells me to do one thing, arrakis enforces another.

Gonna have to wait for the mods to sort this shit out amongst themselves, cause apparently I AM required to move my post over to the recruitment section(By Falke), but I'm NOT allowed to move over my post to the recruitment section cause then there's two of them(By Arrakis).

I know forum re-organizations are very confusing (and one of my big posts has simply been deleted by the mods in the crossfire allready) but please, guys, at least be consistent in telling me wtf to do.

terechsensei

Post by terechsensei » 02 Mar 2014, 19:08

Very nice, i would like to join.

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 05 Mar 2014, 14:34

Great, I sent you a PM :D

Dartagnia

Post by Dartagnia » 02 Apr 2014, 04:44

Ah, Your Holiness! Thank You for allowing me to kiss Your ring. I am Joan, Your most obedient servant.

I come seeking an audience to offer my talents in what ever way would best serve Your purposes for the Faithful and the Common Good.

As of late, I haven't been seen in the area due to an Inquiry into my knowledge of potions, herbs, and the arts. Some would say the dark arts, but, as You may have heard, I have been exonerated.

I mean, nobody expects a Feudal Inquisition! :shock:

Return to Guild Recruitment