Video of some combat / brawling

A place for alpha & beta testers to show off their screenshots, videos and streams from the Closed Beta

Raxx
Alpha Tester

Video of some combat / brawling

Post by Raxx » 13 Mar 2014, 10:02

Got some clips from some sparring and brawling with wooden swords and pickaxes the other day:

You can see it here
[youtube]UHToW0Kk5w8[/youtube]

Protunia
Alpha Tester

Re: Video of some combat / brawling

Post by Protunia » 13 Mar 2014, 10:38

Please keep running around like that in game. :)

Looks like people will need to practice combat a little more. 8-)

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 13 Mar 2014, 11:02

Well, there obviously is still something seriously wrong with combat. Everything he does is holding the attack, running at me and slashing. I found no way to parry those attacks effectively.

In Warband there is no way such a tactic would be viable.

Raxx
Alpha Tester

Post by Raxx » 13 Mar 2014, 11:11

Siegbert wrote:Well, there obviously is still something seriously wrong with combat. Everything he does is holding the attack, running at me and slashing. I found no way to parry those attacks effectively.

In Warband there is no way such a tactic would be viable.

i'd say it's safe to say a wooden stick is not an effective blocking tool, which is probably the reason it didn't work well. If a shield is used to block i dont think i'd do any damage. I also noticed a 'pounce' attack after that i didnt use and I think that's the knockback thing the GM used with his shield. I had a metal pickaxe, although im not sure how much effective that is over a wooden sword, but atleast it's capable of killing and not just knocking out.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 13 Mar 2014, 11:32

Imho parrying should always work when you do it right. It's just confusing and disheartening when you think you did everything right, but you're dying anyway.
I'd rather see inferior weapons be destroyed before the character takes damage.

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 13 Mar 2014, 12:36

the combat needs to be improved, but it's still better than what I expected.

we need to reduce the sensitivity of the mouse, I think

Question: will there be a sort of "kick" in the game?

SirWinston
Alpha Tester

Post by SirWinston » 13 Mar 2014, 13:07

Less camera spinning and more parrying would be nice. Combat still looks better than MO or Darkfall though.
Spoiler

Saxxon

Post by Saxxon » 13 Mar 2014, 13:12

Nice video, the fighting mechanics make me wet!

I am really excited that it is at this level this early in alpha. By reading the chat a lot of systems are already functional.

Good times ahead. I will be there soon guys.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 13 Mar 2014, 13:28

Winston wrote:Less camera spinning and more parrying would be nice. Combat still looks better than MO or Darkfall though.

I would say MO is better at this moment as there indeed is directional block and I can tell what I'm parrying.

As I understand it parrying in LiF will resemble the one from Chivalry a bit. I can see this getting there.
I just hope devs don't take it lightly as combat is supposedly the most important feature of any rpg and I saw too many games fail.

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 13 Mar 2014, 13:39

1. Combat mechanics is not even implemented fully.
2. After we will implement it fully, we will debug it and tweak animations.
3. After we will debug and tweak animations, we will tune balance.

We're on the step #1 now. Cmon, stop judging that early.

There is a "kick" - it is called "pounce" and only available to 2H weapons wielders and designed to be effective vs shield blockers.
None of you had used combo system. Mainly because there is not enough skill to unlock it for normal players and because Mihey is not very friendly with combat :)

As about movement speed:
1. They were fighting on the road - it provides 10% (not sure exactly) speed bonus.
2. Expect to be slower in a more heavy armor. Right now there were no armor on any of them.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 13 Mar 2014, 13:46

Bobik wrote:1. Combat mechanics is not even implemented fully.
2. After we will implement it fully, we will debug it and tweak animations.
3. After we will debug and tweak animations, we will tune balance.

We're on the step #1 now. Cmon, stop judging that early.

No offense. We're just articulating our sorrows. That's supposed to be helpful at some stage :P
I'll be watching every update on this closely.

Sting5

Post by Sting5 » 14 Mar 2014, 17:05

Nice video, happy to see more and more of them coming. Bobik, don't worry, nobody's judging - just imagine - people already say LiF looks better on some aspects than other MMO's, and You're just at #1 step - that's amazing! I'm really eagerly waiting when this will be fully published game, brains will explode :ROFL:
QUAERO TOTUS

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 14 Mar 2014, 18:04

Looking pretty good for so early Bobik, but (and Im sure you know this) I cannot stress this enough....

** IF SYNC IS BAD - COMBAT WILL BE BAD **

No matter what, make sure that the server can handle the sync between players so that actions and reactions seem linked (ie - he swung, I blocked in time, block stopped his weapon). Right now, and I know its early - but one guy swings and then like 2 seconds later blood spatter appears. That kind of lag will just cause spam to be the best approach.

Seems like you played Warband to some extent, and visually this looks a lot like it, but with the sync right now it's just a mess of spam - and that is all it will ever be without better sync.

Again - I know this is early, and you're on a good track...just wanted to reiterate that.

I know it wont ever be like warband entirely, but I occationally play on EU servers from the US and have around 120 ping (which is HIGH for Warband multiplayer, you want under 60 and preferably around 30). But even at 120 ping or so you can actively parry and swing at your opponent in "real time".

---

Also, I do agree (in the end) that parrying should block the incoming attack, not just soak up some damage. Perhaps if you do not have enough effective parry skill then your parry should let some damage through....or if the attacker has higher strength and a heavier weapon maybe they have a chance to push your parry aside (need to have an animation for that if implemented so people know whats going on).

---

Anyhow good start!

Return to Beta Leaks