Where the Alignment System is Too Strong, and Too Weak

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Eldurian

Where the Alignment System is Too Strong, and Too Weak

Post by Eldurian » 18 Mar 2018, 08:51

So I've been doing Open World PvP and full loot drop games for ages now, and I have to say, this Alignment system is the strongest I've ever seen in any game in terms of preventing random ganking for the sake of ganking. And that's awesome. I applaud that. But I also see some issues where it really could be better.

NEVER Being Able to Come Back Above 50 Alignment is Too Harsh

I see what you're going for here. You really want to give incentive to knock someone senseless, take what you want, and go on your merry way without killing the person.

The issue is mistakes happen, and someone who is regularly banditing non-lethally could accidentally do more hard HP damage than intended and boom. Dead guy. Now you're -50 and you can never recover from that. May as well go on a lethal killing spree until you take enough skill loss that you just have to delete the character and start over.

It's better to allow someone the chance to recover their character by going back to being a non-lethal only bandit than incentive them to go nuts because one mistake drove them over the edge.

How to Game the System

We are allowed 10 character slots. 10$ tickets to Abella are pretty cheap. I already have 7 characters myself. Of those characters all of them are designated so that they can fully learn every single crafting skill to 100. Two of those characters (The carpenter and herbalist) will only need 10 intellect meaning that they can double as combat characters. That leaves 3 open character slots on my account.

In other words I can have 5 characters proficient in combat. Three of whose non-combat skills I don't even care about. And that's as someone who really wants characters capable of reaching 100 in every profession.

So if I log in and pray on all those characters I gain 5 alignment every in-game day. Decent gains on days that I want to just craft. Over time if I do this enough then I can go on murderous killing sprees on my highest alignment character and switch off to the new highest alignment as they did down to around 50. I can be saint murderer the bloodthirsty as long as I remember to pray for the poor souls I kill afterward.

Sure this takes some effort, and it still does limit your misdeeds, but it's the only intelligent way to be a bandit when hanging near -50 puts you one accident kill from needing to throw your character away entirely. A lot easier to make a new character before you have to throw the old one away.

Suggested Fixes

1. Alignment loss should scale based on alignment.

For instance non-violent theft may take me to -15, violent robbery without murder to -30 and murder all the way to -1000. Also if I'm saint-righteous pants with +1000 Alignment and I murder someone, the losses should be huge. Bandits should be hanging out around -30. Not throwing characters away because they accidentally killed someone or using alts to keep saint status as they run around pillaging.

2. Praying at -50 should be allowed if accompanied by a sacrifice. Allowing someone to sacrifice say some coins or an item of value tailored to the particular deity they are worshiping seems a far more reasonable way to punish someone for dropping below -50 then essentially forcing them to reroll.

I think this is a far better way to preserve your aim of deterring murder sprees than the current system. Especially since there is no real point to Alignment above 50 beyond up to a 950 point buffer for crime sprees.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas