You owe me 9 locks.

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!
Helleri

You owe me 9 locks.

Post by Helleri » 27 Feb 2016, 15:22

Okay the title is a little sarcastic. And I don't actually expect to have 9 locks credited to me. But it's a nice opener for this discussion. That being the ridiculousness of lock requirements in building.

Recently I built a large stone house. And I while building it I ran into the time and resource gating of needing 10 locks to finish said house. I figured that's fair. it must have 9 rooms with individual doors that each group member can claim/set home to (aside from the main door)... Nope! It has exactly one door (the rest are curtains or just open doorways). Well that must be a really amazing front door to require 10 locks right? Nope! it's pretty much just an AFK spot I won't get ganked in while Judgment isn't currently in effect (during judgement hour they don't even need to pick my lock to get in).

I also wanted a rear and front gate on my palace wall. I figured starting out, that a gate has two doors, so it must be 2-4 locks for both gates...Nope! it's double the latter.

The lock requirements for the most part make no sense for what we actually get (both physical appearance wise and actual security wise). I think it wouldn't be too much to adjust this. That should literally just be a few value changes in the nebulous 'code' right? And if you feel the requirements are then too low. add different additional requirements. for instance I am amazed that I have never needed rope in wooden wall or palacade building.

Yeah I could always wiki the requirements before hand. But that is hassle given that the wiki lags me badly with all it's stop script errors (do to a high degree of non conformity to W3C standards). and it's ads (even video ads). So it would be nice if my reasonable expectations setting out were met. And that any surprises in what I actually need only make me think "well I guess that makes sense".
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford.

Jairone
True Believer

Re: You owe me 9 locks.

Post by Jairone » 26 Mar 2016, 00:53

Yeah, I think some of the locks may be for other access points (windows and the like.)

That said, hopefully with the compartmentalized building they have noted they intend to give, they will allow us to do stuff like place doors (both a lockable and unlockable version.)

I'd also love to see lockpicking and battering options for dealing with locked doors and gates. This could be added into place with those who want to go and steal a little stuff, who so long as they are clever about it and don't get seen won't be flagged. The main concern I have there is odd hours for groups that don't have people up at certain times...

Return to Feedback Section