That's how you could motivate us to join instanced battles while heavily outnumbered

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Tashka

That's how you could motivate us to join instanced battles while heavily outnumbered

Post by Tashka » 01 Mar 2018, 23:57

Hey. I'm a leader of guild on Epleland and we're at war with an alliance that heavily outnumbers ours. They can bring 100 people to totem battle, we can bring 50 if we try really hard.

And of course, we have no intention to join instanced battles. And it's not about the number of tiles we'll loose. Even if our claim was shrinking by 20 tiles after every battle, we would still ignore them. Why? Because there's no chance to win anyway, and it's better to loose whatever number of tiles and save equipment than to loose those tiles AND equipment. Especially since the winner of IB looses nothing - even if we somehow manage to kill 90 of them, they still win, they don't loose any manpower and they keep all their stuff. The only thing they loose is resources for battle totem - but they loose it no matter if we join or not, so still no reason for us to join.

I would suggest to make the number of tiles lost after loosing a battle dependent on numerical advantage and losses ratio.

So if you're heavily outnumbered but still manage to do a significant damage to the enemy, your claim won't shrink that much or not shrink at all. That would solve the non-attendance problem and make IB much more interesting and realistic.
Shadow queen, tyrant, crooked whore, bloody goddess, Princess of Verna, self-proclaimed Queen in Kingdom of the North (Epleland)

Books for the people! - a client mod to let you write books and messages

Hodo

Re: That's how you could motivate us to join instanced battles while heavily outnumbered

Post by Hodo » 02 Mar 2018, 14:23

No.

Sorry but no.

Scaling degradation based on the number ratio.

If you have a smaller force, and cant win, make friends, gain allies, or just submit. Those are the options. I know one of them isnt a great option but that is what you are looking at.

I have been pushing for HARSHER penalties for no show IBs. What I want for a no show, is a loss in guild stone tier to a minimum of 1. If you show and fight, and lose. But you fought and caused significant damage to the enemy, you will lose WAY less tiles than if you show up and just die naked. (like the chinese have done).

If it is a slaughter, you lose without causing any casualties, or it is a complete route, you will nearly lose a tier worth of tiles. It would be slightly less than a no show.

Casualties taken in percentage of total force.
76-100%, 75% of a tier in tiles.
51-75%, 50% of a tier in tiles.
26-50%, 25% of tier in tiles.
1-25%, No loss of tiles.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Tashka

Re: That's how you could motivate us to join instanced battles while heavily outnumbered

Post by Tashka » 02 Mar 2018, 15:27

If you have a smaller force, and cant win, make friends, gain allies, or just submit. Those are the options. I know one of them isnt a great option but that is what you are looking at.

Well i'm sorry but zergs were heavily penalized in reality by increased costs, convoy ambushes, deceases, needing to feed all theese men, stuff like that. In addition, you couldn't just gather you whole army and march halfway across the map to wage a long war. There are only a few examples in history when you could win a battle while being outnumbered 1 to 2, but there are plenty when you could win a war like this - for reasons above. With IB system LiF doesn't simulate this in any way at all, and i believe JH is much better in this aspect (which we don't have on Epleland for whatever stupid reason).

If real life was LiF Mongols would conquer the entire world, but they stopped at Europe 'cause they needed armies elsewhere.

I don't really care about how our war ends (we'll probably find allies and then it will be just a boring exchange of 100x100 battles when you loose one battle and win another cause numbers is the only thing that matters until both sides say fuck this and leave the game), it's just that both sides are getting bored. I'm simply saying what could motivate us to try and fight back. We would still suffer more than our enemies, but at least it would be much more fun.
Shadow queen, tyrant, crooked whore, bloody goddess, Princess of Verna, self-proclaimed Queen in Kingdom of the North (Epleland)

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 02 Mar 2018, 19:05

Tashka wrote:

Well i'm sorry but zergs were heavily penalized in reality by increased costs, convoy ambushes, deceases, needing to feed all theese men, stuff like that. In addition, you couldn't just gather you whole army and march halfway across the map to wage a long war. There are only a few examples in history when you could win a battle while being outnumbered 1 to 2, but there are plenty when you could win a war like this - for reasons above. With IB system LiF doesn't simulate this in any way at all, and i believe JH is much better in this aspect (which we don't have on Epleland for whatever stupid reason).

If real life was LiF Mongols would conquer the entire world, but they stopped at Europe 'cause they needed armies elsewhere.

I don't really care about how our war ends (we'll probably find allies and then it will be just a boring exchange of 100x100 battles when you loose one battle and win another cause numbers is the only thing that matters until both sides say fuck this and leave the game), it's just that both sides are getting bored. I'm simply saying what could motivate us to try and fight back. We would still suffer more than our enemies, but at least it would be much more fun.

Real life doesnt matter when you are talking about this game. Smaller armies that die dont rez back at their houses to fight again 10 minutes later.

And I am taking it you have never tried to organized a huge group of players, it is like organizing cats. It is a logistical nightmare, far more than you can ever imagine. Making sure everyone is geared with decent stuff, skilled correctly, in the right "squads", having competent leaders for each "squad". Having everyone in Voice Comms, and in the right channels. THEN making sure everyone who is in charge knows the plan and how to do it. It only gets more complicated when you have multiple nationalities that speak several languages taking part also.

Oh and the Mongols stopped because their Khan died.

Genghis Khan (Temujin) fell from his horse.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 02 Mar 2018, 19:39

Hodo wrote:Real life doesnt matter when you are talking about this game. Smaller armies that die dont rez back at their houses to fight again 10 minutes later.

Well actually they do, not 10 minutes later of course but since you don't recruit every single man to your army chances are you can reinforce it, given time. An army that's invading you from halfway across the continent, on the other hand, would have certain difficulties with reinforcements.

And I am taking it you have never tried to organized a huge group of players, it is like organizing cats. It is a logistical nightmare, far more than you can ever imagine. Making sure everyone is geared with decent stuff, skilled correctly, in the right "squads", having competent leaders for each "squad".

Oh i can imagine that since people on Epleland are much less PvP oriented and it's extremely difficult to convince them to even use voice.

Genghis Khan (Temujin) fell from his horse.

History of Mongol Empire didn't end with Genghis Khan.

But anyway, maybe the initial numbers ratio could be taken out of the equation (especially with that "small totem" thingy they are planning), and i take it you're agree that one's performance on the battlefield should affect the outcome, not just simple fact that you won or lost.

Azzak
True Believer

Post by Azzak » 08 Mar 2018, 09:16

No.

You need allies to survive in real life, as in game.
That brings a very interesting political aspect to the game.

If you can't bring enough people to fight effectively, then you either die, submit, or make more friends.

Getting 100 players is hard but not impossible.

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 08 Mar 2018, 09:56

Azzak wrote:You need allies to survive in real life, as in game.

One shouln't compare IB to real life. Real life has strategy that allows you to win a war with less people if you're smart - using force concentration, attriction war, ambushes, decoy maneuvers etc. LiF doesn't have that.

That brings a very interesting political aspect to the game.

It brings "have 100 people or ignore the battle" aspect to the game. Not really that interesting.

Regnis_Jarlmundson

Post by Regnis_Jarlmundson » 08 Mar 2018, 11:36

@Epleland Politics:

The Player in the North know the Kingdom of the North has the strongest Fighter in the Area. Lots of us are RPers roaming arround and find RP with Spains, Italians, French, Germans, Czech ... just to have fun. The Chars of the Players fled from the War on the old continent. They want peace and argue with that.

The best Warriors are worthless if you loose the diplomatic way. Thats the reason they follow and help against the strong Warriors who wants to dominate with authority and repression.

In my view, Tashka your Char is Legendary and would never forget until the Beta ends, but you lost the diplomatic and propaganda War.

At the Moment is all what you can do diplomatic conversation to change the situation.

To the Topic: I agree Hodo btw.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas