Private claims are killing small scale PVP

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

W015

Private claims are killing small scale PVP

Post by W015 » 28 Feb 2018, 16:19

This is a post intended for PVP server settings and private claims.

Private claims, the starting grounds for any small band aspiring to become a guild and set up a monument, are being exploited. With no intent to settle, these cheap and easy claims are being abused by guilds to monopolize any resource. One character sets up a claim on silver, good iron, whatever - and thus there is no risk that another guild will attempt to exploit the resource.

Had it no been for this outrageous mechanic, the guilds would have to guard these resources. Keep an eye out our even make sure a small band harvests it together. And then - another guild could decide to attack them. But now there is no point. The carts, the piles of silver, the stacks of logs - they are all immune! PVP killed. On a PVP sever!!

And another dimension is lost: greedy neighbors who chance their alliance to steal some shiny resource.

It also kills off trade. It's obvious that LiF wants us to trade with each other, offering a merchant diplomacy around regional resources. But why bother? Why take a chance on being robbed or cheated? Just have a guildie set up a private claim and farm regionals where you need them.

Fine if you set up a guild claim. That should lead to interesting political fallout. But again, for regional trade, the private claims are destroying the need to bother with it. And with that, the need to take a chance, and the small scale PVP that could result. Even asking for protection or hiring mercenaries.

Remove the ability for solo players to place private claims. And in any case - make it so any character can only ever have had 1 private claim. And put them on a max two week timer.

tldr: private claims are killing small scale pvp, the need to trade, trade related politics and local politics.

Hodo

Re: Private claims are killing small scale PVP

Post by Hodo » 28 Feb 2018, 16:51

The issue isnt about small claims killing PVP, it is about the inability to do anything to ANY claim.

It doesnt matter if you nerf small claims into oblivion or restrict them to premium players or make it so they cost a gold a day. It doesnt matter, they will be just replaced by the next thing... T1 guild stones thrown around.

Not like you can remove them, they are bigger AND they are cheaper.

I think private claims are fine. They are expensive to maintain when compared to the guild claims. They can be taken over by any guild that throws down a claim near them.. and if they are on the realm claim during JH they can be removed with the "ritual".

Which means there are more ways to remove a private claim than there are then to remove a guild claim.

Personally I can think of 2 dozen alt guild claims laying around the 9 tiles around me, that are nothing more than farm plots or resource control areas.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

W015

Post by W015 » 28 Feb 2018, 17:23

Having to have 10 toons set up an alt claim to remove a personal claim - is not fine in my opinion. And does not make private claims ok.

Agree guild immunity is something needs fixing tho.

Falcion
True Believer

Post by Falcion » 02 Mar 2018, 07:18

I belive this is what influence area will be able to do.
As i remember correctly in influence zones guild will be able to remove other claims and tier 1 guild monuments.

Because as Hodo mentioned it will just be replaces with tier 1 monuments. Now to control the resources people will wage war agains those tier 1 monuments. This also comes at a time when it was said that losing an instance battle will have heavier consequences for the defeated.

W015

Post by W015 » 02 Mar 2018, 09:42

I agree there have been signals that the devs wish to improve things. However, these mechanics aren't here. They are (de-facto) vague promises, yet to be implemented. Since they do not allways deliver. They really need to deal with these issues - now. Or the PVP servers will die.

https://lifeisfeudal.com/News/?art=544
The suggested Influence Zone adds 50 tiles to the radius of a Tier 4 monument. That is not going to solve the issue of private claims on key resources. It's not going to solve the issue of small 3x3 claims on the shore, for naked ninja raider to safely store loot before they swim off. They need to add mechanics so that these claims can be dealt with - at least during JH. No matter where they are placed.

Only the absolute largest guilds will be able to get 10 characters to remove a troll claim by setting up a tier 1 monument. Or to remove a claim on a resource they want. And in many cases these are the guilds doing it. And it will take days.

On a PVP server - PVP should be solution to land issues. Not waiting weeks for a monument to grow.

Instanced battles right now are meaningless. Claims grow back the slight loss after a lost IB. I hope they fix this sooner than later. Because again, they promise a full-loot sandbox PVP experience.

So there are several issues that need improving. I hope they put limitations on private claims as well. So that we are at risk when we find goodies. Bring excitement. Bring fights and quarrels over interesting resources. Or access to resources.

Extraterrestial_Annie

Post by Extraterrestial_Annie » 06 Mar 2018, 09:56

Some possible fixes would be allowing ladders when in war outside JH as well. (I'm assuming the larger claim area still shrinks during war if members of the guild are killed).
Disallowing private monuments by players in guild and requiring 10 people in guild to have a monument and making the monument disappear within a short time (5-60 minutes) if the member count drops too low (less than 10).

Bstoneju

Post by Bstoneju » 23 May 2018, 12:15

I believe you all just want to make it impossible for new players. Without private claims you can't even learn the fundamentals of the game or grasp the concept of what you need. Every new player starting off you all just to kill them and rob them of whatever resources they have worked hard to get.

WestArcher

Post by WestArcher » 23 May 2018, 16:56

Bstoneju wrote:I believe you all just want to make it impossible for new players. Without private claims you can't even learn the fundamentals of the game or grasp the concept of what you need. Every new player starting off you all just to kill them and rob them of whatever resources they have worked hard to get.

They have nothing worth taking, it's not even worth the trouble trying to run private players down and taking their things. All you end up with is the sprinting in circles with the benny hill song until the player you're trying to kill runs into the water and logs out.

Even the tree farms with PCs on them that run out and become abandoned. Nobody cares. Hell, It's barely even worth it to take gear off of corpses in battles during JH, even decent T2 armor and decent weapons doesn't really have any value.
The only things I ever care to loot are good spirited/heavy horses and anything made from plant fiber as bizarre as that sounds.

Private claims are a ridiculously OP, even when we catch wardec'd guilds transporting horse carts out in the open they just slap a private claim down and log out if they are able to.

Return to General Discussion