No NPC Mobs? Some thoughts on that...

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
Elindor
True Believer

No NPC Mobs? Some thoughts on that...

Post by Elindor » 24 Feb 2014, 20:43

I have heard that there will be no NPC Mobs, but there's also info about Natives that are aggresive to players and will even loot you if they can. Curious about the plans for this stuff...

I know we are going for no or low fantasy at most, which is fine - but that doesn't mean there can't be varying levels and locations of mobs.

We know there is wildlife in, for hunting etc, and that apparently there will be natives here and there (mostly underground apparently?).

--- -------------
** Can there also be nomadic packs of ruffians? Lone thieves on the roads? Stuff like that? **
-----------------

Maybe theres a couple camps that are bigger than others, or they grow dynamically if they are not "thinned out over time"

Maybe reality could be stretched a bit to introduce men that almost border on ogres, wildmen or something in the deep woods.

----

Concern is that without these types of elements the game becomes 100% clanbox and the jump from "Im a new player fighting boars" to "Im a veteran player in a big clan kingdom involved in wars" is kinda tough leap to make and might turn some people off...

Thoughts?

Protunia
Alpha Tester

Re: No NPC Mobs? Some thoughts on that...

Post by Protunia » 24 Feb 2014, 20:53

There are quite a few NPC animals that will be in game for hunting. Experience for fighting I think will be mainly based on fighting other players in PvP, Practice, Kingdom battles, and Instanced battles.

Since the game is focused around PvP and Kingdom Wars I do not think there needs to be bands of NPC's running around the country side for people to kill and level up on.

I think Hunting will give players some fun as well as the Natives that are planned how ever that is worked out.

If you go too much towards PvE games then you won't have as much PvP as people will avoid that to skill and level up.

Fighting only against Players for skill is more challenging and actually fun with the type of Combat System in this game.

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 24 Feb 2014, 21:15

I agree and disagree...

For starters, I am fully into PVP and the mechanics that LiF will have (long time Warband player, cRPG mod) ... so I do agree that PVP is fun and should be the focus of the game.

I don't agree though that having various bands of NPC ruffians or whatever would detract from the PVP - it's not like there would be WOW dungeons or something ( :bad: ) but maybe just some old ruins you run across and theres some ruffians camping out in it or something...these occurances could be random too - if I go 30 min after you were there and cleared them out it might be empty!

That would hardly deter or distract people from the ongoing PVP kingdom wars, and would offer just a bit more stuff for people to do as they are getting into the game and before they really get into the politics and such.

CrypticKiller

Post by CrypticKiller » 25 Feb 2014, 00:29

Mob spawns are important for pvp... Players/groups fight over spawns, so it's definitely a plus side having spawns strategically placed. It just creates random field pvp which is always fun.

Valdin
Alpha Tester

Post by Valdin » 25 Feb 2014, 00:35

This game isn't meant to be fought over NPC spawns. It is meant to be fought over land, terrain and resources.

Groups will always need various resources to thrive in the game and you wont be able to necessarily find every resource you need without making treaties or fighting for them

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 25 Feb 2014, 02:14

Valdin wrote:This game isn't meant to be fought over NPC spawns. It is meant to be fought over land, terrain and resources.

Groups will always need various resources to thrive in the game and you wont be able to necessarily find every resource you need without making treaties or fighting for them

+1, you build everything in the world so everything has a worth. People will attack you to take your piles of swords and armour.

CrypticKiller

Post by CrypticKiller » 25 Feb 2014, 06:17

I completely agree with this... Though like every great full loot pvp MMO that has been released - farming mobs is a way to integrate players into progression, and during off-peak hours they have a way to gain melee skills and enjoy the quiet times in the world. Popular spawns always yield random field battles.

I'm a full on pvper, though I've always appreciated the territorial-ism that transpires from farming areas that can potentially create pvp hot-spots throughout the world.

Humans are competitive by nature... Points of interest commonly create feud and dominance. I like the idea of excessive pvp; though random pve creates random pvp, which is healthy for any sandbox mmo.

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 25 Feb 2014, 17:00

I've been part of plenty of sandbox mmo's where everything is player made and there is territorial pvp - and im sure LiF will do a great job of that according to what ive read about their systems....

I truly hope that LiF makes it that resources are limited and worth fighting over but many games have said that and soon enough the economy and everything gets oversaturated and there is no need to fight over those resources anymore.

---

Either way, it doesn't change the fact that some random PVE mob groups that pop up here and there would be helpful for the game in many ways including progression for newer players, and downtime activity.

Valdin
Alpha Tester

Post by Valdin » 25 Feb 2014, 17:29

There will be plenty of animals to go hunt in your slow time. Then you are also helping yourself by getting meat and hides and other resources that can be used by yourself or friends or heck even for trade

Olloch
Alpha Tester

Post by Olloch » 25 Feb 2014, 17:35

The system in mind of leveling combat skills by pvp in practise and real war is both realistic and fun. Theres nothing more boring than killing 200 boars with a spear because every battle goes the exact same way. Much more fun when the thing you're fighting is a player. :)
May my enemies live long so they can see me progress.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 25 Feb 2014, 18:52

The points presented are vague at best.

This game will appeal to two different approaches to gameplay. Either you play solo or you play in group. Both are viable and great in each kind of way. There is no need to create an alternative to the clanbox pvp as that is just a supplement to the sandbox crafting.

The wildlife animal-mobs are resources apart of the crafting. What resource would the ruffians give? Gold would destroy the market and turn it into a farm-nightmare. And do I have to remind you of the lack of a general expeeee-bar in this game?

The point of training melee is easier solved with the already in-game practice weapons and the mentioned plans for dummies and instanced PvP minigames.

The natives in the caves serves, as I see it, mostly like a deterrent to keep too undeveloped villages from gaining metals, or atleast add a element of risk to it. Kindof like the cave trolls in H&H. Havent seen much info on the plans on them to be honest.

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 25 Feb 2014, 21:42

Well, for starters, I HOPE it works without mobs - don't mean to bring this up to naysay the game, rather excited about this game.

I'm sure Bobik has thought it through - but I was looking for some info on what that thought process was, that's all.

As for what kind of game this is - I'm well aware and have played full sandbox pvp mmos for many many years -and I abhor themepark pve quests/dungeons. Seems some have misunderstood my intentions in this thread...

Anyhow hopefully it will be great without any mobs.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 25 Feb 2014, 21:49

Elindor wrote:As for what kind of game this is - I'm well aware and have played full sandbox pvp mmos for many many years -and I abhor themepark pve quests/dungeons. Seems some have misunderstood my intentions in this thread...

Anyhow hopefully it will be great without any mobs.

No doubt. Do pardon my aggressive debating manner.

The vision is to have a game without NPCs. I hope it will live up, indeed.

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 25 Feb 2014, 21:55

No problem...

Thokan you aren't from cRPG are you? Feel like I recognize that name.

If so, I have played cRPG for years (NA) so obviously I am excited about LiF's influence from Warband.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 25 Feb 2014, 22:04

Elindor wrote:No problem...

Thokan you aren't from cRPG are you? Feel like I recognize that name.

If so, I have played cRPG for years (NA) so obviously I am excited about LiF's influence from Warband.

I'm in ATS so I dabbled in cRPG for a time there. Spent the majority of my Warband hours on the Mount and Musket mods as the NA cRPG ping made day to day gameplay quite unattractive though.

The guild vs guild pvp mechanics reminds me a lot of Strategus, besides the overall combat resembling Warband all in all. I am quite intrigued, indeed.

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 25 Feb 2014, 22:07

Gotcha.

If you're in Sweden why didn't you play on EU servers? They are in Germany...

Anyhow since you know Warband/cRPG/Strategus you'll understand why I mentioned in the other thread about siege equipment to be careful - you've seen how jenky catapults, destructable walls, and siege engines can be in a free form environment in Strat battles lol.

Anyhow yeah this game does remind me of a Strat that you actually "live in the gameworld" instead of being a dot on a map....which if you know about Chadz's upcoming creation it may be somewhat similar to LiF from my understanding (can't really discuss more cause of NDA)

Anyhow nice to see more Warband/cRPG people in here, saw Banok too lol.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 25 Feb 2014, 22:21

Elindor wrote:Gotcha.

Anyhow since you know Warband/cRPG/Strategus you'll understand why I mentioned in the other thread about siege equipment to be careful - you've seen how jenky catapults, destructable walls, and siege engines can be in a free form environment in Strat battles lol.

Anyhow yeah this game does remind me of a Strat that you actually "live in the gameworld" instead of being a dot on a map....which if you know about Chadz's upcoming creation it may be somewhat similar to LiF from my understanding (can't really discuss more cause of NDA)

My clan is on NA. It is quite boring to play alone. Besides, I thought the day-to-day gameplay in cRPG was quite stale.

Oh yeah. I was in the catapult-crew in the first siege since it was introduced. It took several hours to bring down the wall since the catapult obviously bugged out after three shots and shot straight up into the air at random. Managed to hit a guy across the map during practice though. That was fun :D

The devs here atleast dont have to fight against the game engine every step of the way to introduce something into the game, though. I do believe there is a high chance of seeing such a manual and realistic catapult we saw in strat to be implemented here too.

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 26 Feb 2014, 15:03

Thokan wrote:
Elindor wrote:Gotcha.

My clan is on NA. It is quite boring to play alone. Besides, I thought the day-to-day gameplay in cRPG was quite stale.

Oh yeah. I was in the catapult-crew in the first siege since it was introduced. It took several hours to bring down the wall since the catapult obviously bugged out after three shots and shot straight up into the air at random. Managed to hit a guy across the map during practice though. That was fun :D

The devs here atleast dont have to fight against the game engine every step of the way to introduce something into the game, though. I do believe there is a high chance of seeing such a manual and realistic catapult we saw in strat to be implemented here too.

haha yea I showed up probably 4 hours late to that battle because of work and still got to play since the cata was bugged. We assaulted the wall in a tower.

Return to General Discussion