What I understand and questions... (WALL OF TEXT)

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Captain
Alpha Tester

What I understand and questions... (WALL OF TEXT)

Post by Captain » 04 Apr 2014, 03:54

This is what I understand from various forums, articles, and discussions... (Feel free to to correct/add to this)

Life is feudal is a medieval MMO with survival aspects, resource gathering, building, crafting, and environmental terraforming as well as a mount-and-blade style combat system.

As you begin the game you spawn on the "beginner" island, which unlike the mainland is small and often restarts to resupply it. After you reach a certain level/choose to you go to the mainland, at which you either choose to go to the "city" a central hub for players and trade, where you pay real-world money to rent a house. Or the wilderness where you can immediately gather resources and claim land... here is a list of questions I have....

1. How will mercenary clans/criminal clans operate?

2. What will protect land claims from greifing, such as building potholes all over the land/around settlements and building random shacks everywhere like on the very outskirts of major cities.

3. What stops players with gear and leveled up from pillaging other players

4. Are armors step based (plate armor is just plainly better than leather) and increase defense/health. Or are armors realistic? Such as plate protects from blades and arrows, but slows you down, takes more stamina, and is vulnerable to blunts it's not just a stat. And leather armor is fast and protects against blunts. See the game war of the roses for further information.

5. How is trade done? Is it peer to peer? UI?

6. How are servers handled? I have heard many things that there will be one single server or a NA server and a EU server. I have heard of private rent claims where you rent a server and when you walk into that boundary you join it.

7. How do shields work? Do you just click a block button? Can you aim it? Hittbox?

8.How does combat work? And how do these "combos" work?

9. How do you plan to handle "camera-helicoptering" (when you abuse the view camera to speed up swings and fight unfairly) this can easily be fixed by adding mouse deceleration when swinging weapons.

10.Shield and spear?

11. Can you purchase items with real-world money? And if you can can you lose those items?

12. Bridges? Players will be building potholes and trenches.

13. Players that are trapped by the environment... how do you plan to handle that?

14. Barded (armored) horses?

15. Mounted combat?

16. How will you handle backpedaling archers? (players that level up stamina and archery and backup/sprint away when you try to get in melee range)

17. Are arrows re-usable?

18. In-game banners?

19. Signs?

20. Are roads built or do they appear on the dirt/ground if many players walk on them.

21. Can gear and levels be countered by skill? Honestly.

22. How easy is it to build? Will every player be able to surround their settlement with stone walls?

23. Will powerful/massive clans that create kingdoms have their kingdoms officially added to the map/lore?

24. Can powerful/massive clans specifically designate a castle to be official?

25. Can you starve to death?

26. Does food spoil?

27. Are weapons and armor going to be generic, or in the future will we have the ability to modify/customize weapons. For example you have a Claymore sword, then a Gold engraved Claymore sword.

28. Flags/spears with flags that you can carry into battle with your army.

29. Official kings

30. Siege weapons.... how may you use them and what are they? Catapults? Arbalests? Battering rams? Ladders?

31. Can we build structures underground?

32. Fast travel?

33. Is diplomacy between clans strictly peer to peer or is there any UI involved?

34. Crowns? :D

35. Poison? Such as poison food/weapons? (lowers reputation for use)

36. How will the world be... resupplied if it is drained?

37. Temporary parties? Such as you find a random player and have a general goal/go together for protection for a small time.

38. Do you heal over time or can you speed up the process.

39. Capes?

40. Taverns?

41. Can gates be... player locked? If you have a castle/town open to travelers/merchants and can a random player open it to an invading army?

42. Battle cries?

43. When can we expect a 24 hour server?

44. How will the developers be involved in-game?

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Re: What I understand and questions... (WALL OF TEXT)

Post by Telakh » 04 Apr 2014, 06:11

Captain wrote: After you reach a certain level/choose to you go to the mainland
At this point you will have to purchase the transfer for premium currency aka "buy character" most likely.
Captain wrote: 1. How will mercenary clans/criminal clans operate?
Mercenary clans will temporary ally with their employers to aid them in guild claim defence or attack events. There is no such term as criminal clan. A clan can declare war on any other clan and have free pvp with them. Anyone who continiously attack civilian hermts will loose karma and become criminal at -50 karma level.
Captain wrote:2. What will protect land claims from greifing?
Personal claim is very small. It provides you 2.5 tiles for each point of authority skill, and is maxed at 250(100lvl skill) wich gives you roughly 16x15 tiles plot. Skill raises by 1 each day you own a personal claim so you will have max claim size not very soon. No property can be built, destroyed or stolen by unauthorised characters on personal claims and simple fence will prevent trespassing. Any constructions beyound the claim will completely decay in 2 days.
Captain wrote:3. What stops players with gear and leveled up from pillaging other players?
Personal claims can't be pillaged, unless they are on the guild claim. With current skill system a band of newbie characters can be stronger than single high level character. Don't forget the wounds, fractures, e.t.c. You can't neither heal in battle nor run away if you are heavily armored. As for the raiding horsemen gangs - join a guild in order not to be outnumbered.
Captain wrote:4. Are armors step based and increase defense/health?
I don't have information about this system. What we know that blocking will only absorb a certain percentage of damage.
Captain wrote:5. How is trade done? Is it peer to peer? UI?
There will be constructable barter stands with global access, yet you will need to walk to the seller to collect your purchase
Captain wrote:6. How are servers handled?
It will be a single world liek EVE, not multy shard. I suppose if there will be problems with ping or overpopulation, developers will either add new regions to the map or make another server. Every 3x3 km of the map are controlled by separate logical server so technicaly, the map is scalable.
Captain wrote:7. How do shields work? Do you just click a block button? Can you aim it? Hittbox?
Blocking effectiveness is counted by blocking direction.
Captain wrote:8.How does combat work? And how do these "combos" work?
Cobos become available with higher skill levels, work just as they are supposed to. Cobat is based on stamina. You will not be able to swing if you loose your breath. Otherwise, it is similar to M&B but the hitboxes are very nice since you can cripple your opponent.
Captain wrote:9. How do you plan to handle "camera-helicoptering"
I suppose there are tight limits on mouse speed influence.
Captain wrote:10.Shield and spear?
See the skill branches. There are no shields for polearms. Unless there will be some shor spears in piercing skill.
Captain wrote:11. Can you purchase items with real-world money? And if you can can you lose those items?
It is to be decided yet. What was promiced: you can't purchase any ballance-influencing items, only decoration most likely; decorations that you buy will stay with character.
Captain wrote:12. Bridges? Players will be building potholes and trenches.
No bridges yet. You can dig potholes and trenches but they will collapse in 1-2 days.
Captain wrote:13. Players that are trapped by the environment... how do you plan to handle that?
Any player can return to his homestead with a prayer. Can't carry stuff with you, it will fizzle a lot and take time to "cast".
Captain wrote:14. Barded (armored) horses?
Yes. Will be crafter by high lvl smiths.
Captain wrote:15. Mounted combat?
Not in alpha but yes. Lances present. Not sure about horseback archery.
Captain wrote:16. How will you handle backpedaling archers?
Is it a problem? Take a bow yourself or take a horse.
Captain wrote:17. Are arrows re-usable?
Most likely - yes.
Captain wrote:18. In-game banners?
Later, after release.
Captain wrote:19. Signs?
See above.
Captain wrote:20. Are roads built
They are paved manually.
Captain wrote:21. Can gear and levels be countered by skill? Honestly.
. Batter armor offers better protection yet it slows you down and still can be penetrated. So technically, a fast and skilled character can counter a slow knight. Don't forget that your damage, health and stam depend on your stats.
Captain wrote:22. How easy is it to build?
You need a guild claim in order to have space for stone walls. And it takes time and numbers to be constructed itself. But wooden palisade is impossible.
Captain wrote:23. Will powerful/massive clans that create kingdoms have their kingdoms officially added to the map/lore?
Most likely yes. We have loremasters for that.
Captain wrote:24. Can powerful/massive clans specifically designate a castle to be official?
If they manage to construct and maintain it. It is a hard task.
Captain wrote:25. Can you starve to death?
You can starve to knockdown. And will not regenerate hp, stamina and earn skill when starving.
Captain wrote:26. Does food spoil?
No idea.
Captain wrote:27. Are weapons and armor going to be generic, or in the future will we have the ability to modify/customize weapons. For example you have a Claymore sword, then a Gold engraved Claymore sword.
They are generic. Item's properties are set when the item is created. No modification was announced.
Captain wrote:28. Flags/spears with flags that you can carry into battle with your army.
It was suggested as a aoe buffs in combats.
Captain wrote:29. Official kings
Any kingdom can have a king but it does not mean it will be mentioned in lore.
Captain wrote:30. Siege weapons.... how may you use them and what are they?
Trebuchet, Battering rams were announced. You can build those during the siege in any number but you are limited in time.
Captain wrote:31. Can we build structures underground?
No
Captain wrote:32. Fast travel?
Horseback
Captain wrote:33. Is diplomacy between clans strictly peer to peer or is there any UI involved?
Only neutral/foe/allied options. If you are allied, you can set permissions to trespass, take items and build.
Captain wrote:34. Crowns? :D
Jewelry implemented.
Captain wrote:35. Poison? Such as poison food/weapons? (lowers reputation for use)
Most likely yes.
Captain wrote:36. How will the world be... resupplied if it is drained?
Forest can regrow and be replanted. Any constructions will decay in time, rough terraforming will devolve. Ores are finite.
Captain wrote:37. Temporary parties? Such as you find a random player and have a general goal/go together for protection for a small time.
Sure.
Captain wrote:38. Do you heal over time or can you speed up the process.[Yes. You can speed up with healnig skill avilities applited to you by other player.
Captain wrote:39. Capes?
Yes
Captain wrote:40. Taverns?
Why not? Like in UO.
Captain wrote:41. Can gates be... player locked? If you have a castle/town open to travelers/merchants and can a random player open it to an invading army?
Will be limited by access rights
Captain wrote:42. Battle cries?
Berserk skill branch.
Captain wrote:43. When can we expect a 24 hour server?
ASAP
Captain wrote:44. How will the developers be involved in-game?
They will develop :D And organise events.
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Kibato
Alpha Tester

Post by Kibato » 04 Apr 2014, 06:47

Very interesting, thanks for answering his questions!

But what do you mean with 'Ores are finite.'?
Does that mean after one year all iron nodes are gone and you can't craft new weapons?

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 04 Apr 2014, 08:26

Telakh wrote:

I don't get it either... if an archer walks backwards he shouldn't be faster than you running at him.
He could however just turn around and run and aim at you from a further distance. In that case I would have suggested that firing arrows drains stamina to a degree that fleeing will not be viable anymore.

I'm far more concerned by mounted archers. I think the ability to be quick and attack an opponent from distance without giving him the chance to reach you is ruining PvP in most cases.
I would suggest not to implement mounted archery at all since it's an OP tactic (it actually was OP in real life, see huns, magyars, mongols...)

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 04 Apr 2014, 08:46

Who says it will be 1 year? There are plenty of ore nodes for a couple of decades. Besides you can melt down items.

As for the archer-harrsers, shooting takes stamina, running takes stamina. It means that while you shoot you have less stamina to run after shoothing. And keep in mind that your speed is based on your gear weight comparing to your str.
For example, if you have 10 str, you will run with 100% speed while you are naked and only 70% speed if you wear some leather armor that weights 10 stones.
If you have 30 str (which is quite reasonable considering you have to spend points on other stats) and 60 agility (it is most important for shooting) and wear bow,quiver and some armor that weights 20 stones total, you will have about 80% max speed. And only 100 stamina ;)
While your opponent who has 60 str and 50 willpower, armored with shield, and sword that weight 20 stones will run at 90% speed and will be faster then you and he will have 150 stamina. These are rough calculations.
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Saxxon

Post by Saxxon » 04 Apr 2014, 12:43

Kibato wrote:Very interesting, thanks for answering his questions!

Does that mean after one year all iron nodes are gone and you can't craft new weapons?

Bobik said it would take roughly 30 years real time to mine out all the iron.

We have finished the generation of underground details and planting of forests on our brand new continent (including newbie island). New lands are waiting to be settled up by the first Alpha testers! There are some stats for your amusement:

Total area (sq. meters): 470 017 800

Land mass area (sq. meters): 306 155 600

Iron ore deposits (cubic meters): 2 686 160 196

Copper ore deposits (cubic meters): 1 585 786 189

Silver ore deposits (cubic meters): 17 192 576

Gold deposits (cubic meters): 8 103 766

Total trees: 2 807 269

Maurizio
Alpha Tester

Post by Maurizio » 04 Apr 2014, 13:09

Siegbert wrote:
Telakh wrote:

I don't get it either... if an archer walks backwards he shouldn't be faster than you running at him.
He could however just turn around and run and aim at you from a further distance. In that case I would have suggested that firing arrows drains stamina to a degree that fleeing will not be viable anymore.

I'm far more concerned by mounted archers. I think the ability to be quick and attack an opponent from distance without giving him the chance to reach you is ruining PvP in most cases.
I would suggest not to implement mounted archery at all since it's an OP tactic (it actually was OP in real life, see huns, magyars, mongols...)

Easy fix, make horseback archery much harder to accurately aim. Tweak it as much as needed to make it balanced vs other classes. It should still be somewhat OP but not to the point where its the only class everyone will make, also add weapons/items that can demount a player.

Kibato
Alpha Tester

Post by Kibato » 04 Apr 2014, 13:22

Saxxon wrote:
Kibato wrote:Very interesting, thanks for answering his questions!

Bobik said it would take roughly 30 years real time to mine out all the iron.

We have finished the generation of underground details and planting of forests on our brand new continent (including newbie island). New lands are waiting to be settled up by the first Alpha testers! There are some stats for your amusement:

Total area (sq. meters): 470 017 800

Land mass area (sq. meters): 306 155 600

Iron ore deposits (cubic meters): 2 686 160 196

Copper ore deposits (cubic meters): 1 585 786 189

Silver ore deposits (cubic meters): 17 192 576

Gold deposits (cubic meters): 8 103 766

Total trees: 2 807 269

wow thats a big map...! I hope I won't get lost for some weeks :D

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 04 Apr 2014, 13:51

I hear it's just a little bigger than Mortal Online's map which I had considered to be quite big. But on a horseback you could travel from one end to another in 30 minutes.

I mean, it's certainly big enough for general gameplay but you're not necessarily traveling for hours.

Arthua

Post by Arthua » 14 Apr 2014, 22:21

Telakh deserves an award for answering all those mofo questions.

Wow, that is A+ community support at finest.

Return to General Discussion