blocking mechanics

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Baronandy

blocking mechanics

Post by Baronandy » 13 Sep 2014, 02:10

hallo everyone im interested in the game because of its ruleset.

but doesnt matter how good the game is when combat isnt well done , a lot of people wont play it see mortal online awesome crafting , ultra bad animations for combat and mpbs and the ai.

anyways some stuff i liked about mortal onlines kombat
what i liked was

the different hitboxes
and the directional blocking system

will lif get a directional blocking system with 3 directions ??
that you have to look from which side your opponent will attack, without that feature or an aiming based blocking ala chivalery for the yo version the game would be a bit to easy combat wise ,and a big part what makes a combat system tactical would miss.

are there any future plans to remove mid block system and add a more advanced blocking mechanic ??

Added » 13 Sep 2014, 04:27

and are there any infos if light armor create another type of gamestyle then waering havy armor to balance it out ??

for excemple i would like to be able to make a tactical roll in light lether armor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aWZDJ4kvR4

so there are 2 different styles

tank in havy armor have to face his opponent block int he right direction and do counter hits

and a light armor guy more like a man at arms who can dodge or side and backroll to prevent getting hit
Last edited by Arrakis on 13 Sep 2014, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merging double-post

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Re: blocking mechanics

Post by Siegbert » 13 Sep 2014, 05:39

Blocking is supposed to be aiming based, comparable to Chivalry. When parrying with your weapon damage will be reduced the better you aim it but not deflected completely. Blocking with a shield should do this afaik.

Baronandy

Post by Baronandy » 13 Sep 2014, 13:54

is there a sound or animation or "firespark particle effect"
or anything to recognize that you have blocked well with your weapon when you dont use a shield ??? do you only have to aim towards the weapon or do you have to press a block buttom aswell ? is there a timeframe for blocking like in chivalery that the block drps after a 3/4 second with a small cd on the next block and a bit of frameadvantage when you blocked to hit back faster ??
can you swap in to first person view ??
is there a kick to get behind a shielded opponent ??

can you side/ backroll to prevent damage in light armor (did the developers talked about that ??)

are there combos when i do a steb during the half of the time of the animation of the swing will my steb connect faster and use more stamina ?? like in chivalery ??

are they using blood splatter on the armors as an indicator how wounded someone on the battlefield ?

i personally love how they made the ninja in chivaler dadliest worrior i think a forward backroll and sideroll or dodge is important for an aquishy lether armor guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPWWSaCJuBQ 1 min 6 sec !!
so nicly done in chivalery the rolls

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 13 Sep 2014, 14:29

Baronandy wrote:is there a sound or animation or "firespark particle effect"
or anything to recognize that you have blocked well with your weapon when you dont use a shield ???

Well, there should be and I hope devs don't underestimate the importance of responsive combat.
Quite honestly I haven't really gotten a chance to fight as it lags like hell when you try to.

do you only have to aim towards the weapon or do you have to press a block buttom aswell ?

Sure, you need to press right mouse button to block.

is there a timeframe for blocking like in chivalery that the block drps after a 3/4 second with a small cd on the next block and a bit of frameadvantage when you blocked to hit back faster ??

Nope. You just hold it like in M&B or WotR.

can you swap in to first person view ??

Yes, but it's like in Mount&Blade. The camera is set on your face. It's not built around first person combat like Chivalry is.

is there a kick to get behind a shielded opponent ??

There's no kick yet. But a (quite OP) shield bash

can you side/ backroll to prevent damage in light armor (did the developers talked about that ??)

No, and I doubt it will be a "roll". That's not really realistic. But maybe there will be a side step.

are there combos when i do a steb during the half of the time of the animation of the swing will my steb connect faster and use more stamina ?? like in chivalery ??

According to Bobik there will. However he didn't play Chivalry, when I asked about this. We need to wait and see.

are they using blood splatter on the armors as an indicator how wounded someone on the battlefield ?

At least you have a character screen that visualizes your injuries. Maybe bloody armors will not come, but it would surely be nice.

i personally love how they made the ninja in chivaler dadliest worrior i think a forward backroll and sideroll or dodge is important for an aquishy lether armor guy

Nah, that's Hollywood BS :P
It has no place in a realistic medieval game.

Baronandy

Post by Baronandy » 16 Sep 2014, 16:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXbtRzqg9g0

in this vis you see the combat system from chivalery detailed explained how it works (programming wise ) you see the lines how it swings, the different zones of a swing and how they made damagezones and whatever

simply pure perfection of a combat system, in my opinion way better then mount and blade love how tactical and important they made movement and how it could manipulate your swings!! maybe and hopefully it can inspire

i also like 1 click swings more then charged hits , why ??
because it look much better if the charge and swing of the weapon is 1 fluid animation of swinging your sword backwards and forward. when you just release a charged stike it is nearly instant so there is no room of proper movement tactics and you cant use spacing well as a tactik. and not to forget it give you a lager timeframe to do moves like duck under a swing which was aimed at your head or jump over a swing aimer to your feed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3cVQqx-uNc

you can see how slow the german 2 hander is and i can tell it is fun to play with it you can somehow feel the swings , this with a combo mechanic that when you make the next swing overhead or step during the animation of your first attack it will go fluid into each other called a combo (will be faster)

a block in this game counted as a hit , combo mechanic wise so your next counter attack was faster.

a too nice mechanic to not take a closer look at when the developers never played chivalery and only mount and blade

and here a vid of the faster chivalery deadlierst worrior to let the developers see what i mean with combos also a nice insperation for dual wielding animations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTpCCFfYYn8

the basic mechanics combat vid aswell very nice detailed for inspiration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfpsoBX3EDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnRxtazljg

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 16 Sep 2014, 16:50

I like Chivalry but it can really become a mess... When there are dozens of guys near each other it's just a random swinging and heads falling off...
In Mount&Blade you have way more control over every single action your character does and close combat involving bigger groups just works.

Baronandy

Post by Baronandy » 16 Sep 2014, 17:56

Siegbert wrote:I like Chivalry but it can really become a mess... When there are dozens of guys near each other it's just a random swinging and heads falling off...
In Mount&Blade you have way more control over every single action your character does and close combat involving bigger groups just works.

only when you play with noobs !!! more advanced players will not swing if there are several teammates and only use stebs overheads or kicks .

if people only swing in teammates they get kicked

here are 2 sceen i made i always play vanguard in the mid of the battle and mostly not get killed by teamdamage , i mean you can see if people randomly swinging arround i woudnt go near them and tell them in chat wtf ur doing XD

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =187591717
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =191225032

ok sometimes you die through teamdamage nearly all my death were teamdamage but a good player is able to kill a lot of enemys during the time it happens.

Baronandy

Post by Baronandy » 23 Sep 2014, 06:44

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Life-is-F ... m-1136801/

life is feudal on place 1 in steam

seems they got the money now , so my recommendation

make a different combat system more chivalery like and more advanced in lifyo then the mmo . then tune it a bit down for the mmo (only 1 hitbox instead of multiple hitboxes and so)

in my optinion combat looks like in slow motion (see the link even in the comments you can find it)

why because you can charge a hit which take half of the time . then run to an enemy and release it . to not get damage instantly from the swing it have to be slow and will look choppy

my idea make it like in chivalery (charge a hit and swing should be 1 move in a fluid animation) that players get a larger timeftame to do moves and to let the combat system look much better more fluid

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 23 Sep 2014, 09:27

Baronandy wrote:why because you can charge a hit which take half of the time . then run to an enemy and release it . to not get damage instantly from the swing it have to be slow and will look choppy

You can hit instantly if you want. It's a matter of tactics how long you decide to hold the swing. At least that's how it's in M&B.

Baronandy

Post by Baronandy » 23 Sep 2014, 18:02

Siegbert wrote:
Baronandy wrote:why because you can charge a hit which take half of the time . then run to an enemy and release it . to not get damage instantly from the swing it have to be slow and will look choppy

You can hit instantly if you want. It's a matter of tactics how long you decide to hold the swing. At least that's how it's in M&B.

Subject: blocking mechanics

Siegbert wrote:

and thats what i not really like , a fluid animation of charging the hit and then swing in 1 move pressing 1 key give the player the ability to do other moves like kicks or dodges and rhe ability of spacing during the larger timeframe you have ,

for excample you can walk back wait till sword swing passed you and go in with an attack as an alternative to block a swing and make a counterhit if you know the weapon ranges well

just chivalery like , mount and blade i never liked becuase of that.

i played games with charged hits also , mortal had it but it never looked fluid if there is an animation for a charge and the swing separated.

this mechanic destoys movement technics and let the combat look like in rust.

not to forget the actual swing looks much faster when the 2 animations of the charge and swing get combined but is slower to allow better blocking

watch the basic tutorial again to see what i mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfpsoBX3EDk

for excemple if the charge of the weapon take a second and the swing a half second

the opponent have only a timeframe of a half second to dodge ,kick , move forward backwards duck or jump or sideroll.

if charge and hit animation get combined you cant deal faster damage, it still take 1 and a half second but the timeframe of a half second for the swing increase to 1 and a half second to allow the player to do other moves like blocking reactional and all the other stuff i mentioned.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 23 Sep 2014, 19:26

Well, as I said: I like both games (M&B and Chivalry) and played them both to death.

I happen to like M&B a bit more as I feel that you have more control over what your character is doing while Chivalry tends to feel more realistic and exciting while ultimatively being more limiting to you as the player.

I would be okay with both systems when either one is done well.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas