Ingame voice system

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Arrakis

Ingame voice system

Post by Arrakis » 08 Nov 2013, 23:42

I would love to see ingame voice system. I would rather push a button and speak rather than spend countless minutes writing some stuff, especially while in group.

Imagine how pleasant it would be for people to gather around, with their leader and just talk instead of writing and spamming.

Of course this voice system should have it's range limit, or even better, if it would work that way, that if you are getting further from the guy who is speaking, you hear him less clear and not so loud, and with the more distance you stop hearing him completely.

That would bring up something fresh in player communication system.

Same area system should apply to text chat. There could be global chat and there could be chat that would apply to small range.

What do you think about that? Is that even possible to implement?

Kuroi
Alpha Tester

Re: Ingame voice system

Post by Kuroi » 08 Nov 2013, 23:45

it would be really cool, even tho i know it's not easy to implement cause it needs a lot of resources/data to work properly

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 08 Nov 2013, 23:50

Arrakis09 wrote:Imagine how pleasant it would be for people to gather around, with their leader and just talk instead of writing and spamming.

That's what TS is for.
Voice Chat on a public server is the most annoying thing ever. If you find chat spamming annoying embrace yourself for audio spamming!

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 09 Nov 2013, 13:04

Well, in that situation sword is a good solution, you can always silence annoying audio kids. And I want to see in-game voice system to avoid requirements of having another program like Teamspeak running in background.

Imagine group of raiders quietly coming near a village or enemy camp, and then all of them yell "CHARGEEE!" and they go for it, people get scared and confused and lose the battle.

Wouldn't that be awesome? I hope they will implement that, it would be great.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 09 Nov 2013, 13:55

It's maybe nice in theory but in praxis people won't roleplay in such a situation, nor would they rely on ingame voice chat for tactical communications. Most people don't like to talk publically anyways.

When I play games that have built in voice like PlanetSide 2, I need to mute the public local chat because way too many people exploit it and scream in their mics or play music or their mics are simply wrongly adjusted so that it's really disturbing.
Voice chat in squads however is really neat for tactics when everbody's listening to the commander and don't talk their everyday crap there.

About your suggestion to just kill off guys who spam... I'd not suggest it. Players can be very immature and don't realize that you have been rightly put to justice but instead flame you all the time and try to kill you which usually ends up in chaos with everyone killing each other and bad feelings.

I'm speaking out of my experience with Persistent World and Persistent Frontier, both mods for M&B Warband.
In a game where you somehow need to rely on people's willingness to cooperate you don't want to punish them hard for childish behaviours all the time.

In an organized guild with teamspeak however you can do this: mute people, kick people, punish them ingame and out of it.

However I'm actually not against ingame voice chat if you can mute it. Sometimes it can be nice (had some good use of it in PlanetSide 2 and ArmA).

Oh, little addion:
Imagine group of raiders quietly coming near a village or enemy camp, and then all of them yell "CHARGEEE!" and they go for it, people get scared and confused and lose the battle.

Wouldn't that be awesome? I hope they will implement that, it would be great.

I actually think this would suck with people sitting behind their monitors without the right tone, emotion and timing in their voice
BUT
having played a good bunch of Chivalry I think their ingame voice taunts are excellent!

I always love it when we get near the enemy and everybody is just screaming wildly or throwing insults at the enemy. I often yell for help when I'm alone against many, or tell people to follow me or thank them when they saved my ass.
That's one thing they really did great and it builds up immersion.
LiF should totally consider to include voice commands.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 09 Nov 2013, 14:19

Siegbert, you really spent some time writing that didn't you? I am glad that in the end you approve my idea :)

And remember that I proposed that voice chat to have only some reasonable range of working, so you wouldn't have global audio spam.

Of course your idea to be able to mute annoying screaming players nearby is good as well and should be an option.

Teamspeak is something rather private and should be used on private chat and raids only. Ingame voice chat would be just... for anyone to talk about anything, and for roleplaying, and for begging for mercy when raiders storm your house and they try to rob and kill you, hehe.

No but seriously, implementation of in-game, short range voice chat would be very good move, not only for roleplayers like me, but also for taunting enemies and just friendly, drunk talks with friends by the bonfire.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 09 Nov 2013, 14:40

Arrakis09 wrote:I am glad that in the end you approve my idea :)

I actually didn't :P
I'm fairly neutral about including voice chat in the game as I won't use it myself. Some will...

But I reject your romanticized idea of people roleplaying in a public game and building up immersion by using voice chat. It's more likely to be annoying if anything.

What I said about Chivalry, in case you don't know, is about pre-recorded audio taunts. By pressing a combination of buttons your character will either scream or call for help or anything you want.
That is an idea to consider.

And remember that I proposed that voice chat to have only some reasonable range of working, so you wouldn't have global audio spam.

Surely. I'd like you to play PlanetSide 2 and hang around at the crowded spawn area where people spam around music or just scream.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 09 Nov 2013, 15:08

Details... details... Neutral is almost like positive. Ding! And you might use it, you never know when sudden need of talking to people will catch you.

Also why you don't like that roleplaying idea? For world of LiF it would be perfect, so why not?

And why do you think people will gather around spawn? I surely won't, I will go with my allies (if i find any).

Man don't be so negative, it wouldn't be that bad, if voice could be muted then even these annoying kids would be harmless and you could just enjoy the game. It surely be better than chat spam "1000g gold plz" etc. which usually you cant even ignore anyhow in games.

Virdill
Alpha Tester

Post by Virdill » 09 Nov 2013, 16:14

I think a feature like that, would only create chaos, many people use low-quality microphones, can create a very annoying echo, together with the voice would feel a background noise, and especially in a game there are many players whose mother tongue is different , the system creates even more problems in communication
Sorry for my bad English

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 09 Nov 2013, 16:21

Arrakis09 wrote:Also why you don't like that roleplaying idea? For world of LiF it would be perfect, so why not?

I'm all for roleplaying. I just find myself in the minority ^^

And why do you think people will gather around spawn? I surely won't, I will go with my allies (if i find any).

Well, I think they will gather at some point. Maybe in a town where there is a market. In Mortal Online people tend to be around in Tindrem, trolling around ^^

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 09 Nov 2013, 16:46

Well we are still coming back to the point, where we can discuss additional option like PLAYER MUTE, to get rid of annoying people and therefore just talk with those, who do not intend to troll and annoy people.

Dleatherus
Beta Tester

Post by Dleatherus » 11 Nov 2013, 13:40

with so many 3rd party voice chat systems out there, and this project being on a very tight budget for an mmo (200k euro is insanely low compared to other mmo's out there) I personally would like to see the dev team invest their time and financial resources into other important aspects of the game that can't be substituted easily by 3rd party programs

D.

Falke88
Alpha Tester

Post by Falke88 » 11 Nov 2013, 13:57

I played Arma 2 with a mod called ACRE once. This Plugin for Teamspeak 3 managed to check position of players ingame and therefore match it with the volume for them to speak to each other in teamspeak.

If a player was 300m away you will hear him less clearer in teamspeak like if he was directly nearby you.

Mybe thats a solution if the ingame voice system wont work like that.

greets Charlie

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 11 Nov 2013, 14:10

Falke that seems to be a perfect solution, if it really can work that way then I'd like to see that here :)

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 15 Nov 2013, 13:53

Falke88 wrote:I played Arma 2 with a mod called ACRE once. This Plugin for Teamspeak 3 managed to check position of players ingame and therefore match it with the volume for them to speak to each other in teamspeak.

If a player was 300m away you will hear him less clearer in teamspeak like if he was directly nearby you.

Mybe thats a solution if the ingame voice system wont work like that.

greets Charlie

While that sounds interesting it's clearly unrealistic for ArmA considering that modern soldiers actually do have communication devices in their helmets.

For LiF this would be nice for sure.

Falke88
Alpha Tester

Post by Falke88 » 15 Nov 2013, 14:17

Well ACRE wasnt simulating Radio Equipment only - it simulated 3D Voice Vocals aswell with their Range Volume decreases

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 07 Jan 2014, 17:55

Mumble does the same thing ans is fully integrated in a mod for BF2 called Project Reality. Games like DayZ and Rust have there own directional ingame voip. With the proper funding I'm sure it's possible to implement into this game. I do sometimes find it annoying and would require an option to shut it off completely.

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 08 Jan 2014, 17:55

Proximo wrote:Mumble does the same thing ans is fully integrated in a mod for BF2 called Project Reality. Games like DayZ and Rust have there own directional ingame voip. With the proper funding I'm sure it's possible to implement into this game. I do sometimes find it annoying and would require an option to shut it off completely.

Just what i wanted to post. + for mumble!

Azerath
Alpha Tester

Post by Azerath » 14 Jan 2014, 21:48

I just wanted to add my voice in support of this idea. It doesn't need to be all that complicated. Just a simple voice chat system that allows you to talk to those in your immediate vicinity. I've played games where this feature adds loads of immersion and fun.

RP gets banished to "safe areas" otherwise as typing and reading is too burdensome when death could be a heartbeat away.

Let people use TS, vent, mumble outside the game to co-ordinate and carry out comlpicated battle plans if needed.
Caelitus Mihi Vires

Makiol

Post by Makiol » 14 Jan 2014, 23:01

Azerath wrote:I just wanted to add my voice in support of this idea. It doesn't need to be all that complicated. Just a simple voice chat system that allows you to talk to those in your immediate vicinity. I've played games where this feature adds loads of immersion and fun.

RP gets banished to "safe areas" otherwise as typing and reading is too burdensome when death could be a heartbeat away.

Let people use TS, vent, mumble outside the game to co-ordinate and carry out comlpicated battle plans if needed.

i agree, if i'm in a clan and i use the clan's ts i can't find over players on ts :P
better create an ingame chat vocie system
A cookie, a cookie, my kingdom for a cookie!!! cit. Richard III

He-man
Alpha Tester

Post by He-man » 15 Jan 2014, 12:06

I like this idea but not in the free way that you suggest, it would cause too much caos if there is gathered a lot of people xD

The voice system should be implemented when you are in a party with other players and a channel to use the voice system with your guild, if you are not part of the guild you cannot talk or hear them unless you are in a party, in which case only the players in that party can hear you and talk with you xD

Antiblitz

Post by Antiblitz » 15 Jan 2014, 13:51

He-man wrote:I like this idea but not in the free way that you suggest, it would cause too much caos if there is gathered a lot of people xD

The voice system should be implemented when you are in a party with other players and a channel to use the voice system with your guild, if you are not part of the guild you cannot talk or hear them unless you are in a party, in which case only the players in that party can hear you and talk with you xD

Eve Online uses this, anytime you are in a chat with someone, whether its a party or just a simple convo, you can join voice comms with the players in it. Its a good system, though under used, idk why, but everyone always joined a voip anyways. I dont think all the realism freaks are going to approve of this for the sake of being able to telepathically speak to players away from you, though im sure they will break their own code anyways and use a voip.

I am a firm believer that giving players anything that can be abused, will be abused, so why allow them the chance. Though on the same note, typing out an entire line to someone or taking your eyes off the screen for a second can spell death, so speaking to someone would be nice. However, whats to say that some wont have it turned off, or speak another language anyways. So either way its usefulness can become sub par anyways.

I would say if anything its a nice feature, more extravagant then what needs to be in place, especially on a tight budget, and is used more as a selling point for the game then the actual usage of the thing.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 15 Jan 2014, 20:39

Useless, annoying and excessive. There is no point to invest money in something subpar to what the meta game would take care of more smoothly and naturally.

Maybe good for games centered around disorganized play like Planetside 2 or DayZ, et cetera. Not here.

He-man
Alpha Tester

Post by He-man » 15 Jan 2014, 21:54

Thokan wrote:Useless, annoying and excessive. There is no point to invest money in something subpar to what the meta game would take care of more smoothly and naturally.

Maybe good for games centered around disorganized play like Planetside 2 or DayZ, et cetera. Not here.

In what do you base to say that? why are they disorganized, and why this game is not?

Antiblitz

Post by Antiblitz » 16 Jan 2014, 15:29

He-man wrote:
Thokan wrote:Useless, annoying and excessive. There is no point to invest money in something subpar to what the meta game would take care of more smoothly and naturally.

In what do you base to say that? why are they disorganized, and why this game is not?

Planetside 2 is an absolute shit show for pubbies, anyone who just enters in to mess around or arent part of large groups use the public chat, and normally its a babbling mess, or trolling. Anyone who is part of a group in any way isnt using the voice chat system and rather using a voip of some kind. Besides that, adding in game voice chat costs money and resources, of which the makers of planetside definitely have and LiF doesnt or else they wouldnt be asking for it.

This game is based around the structuring of team play. Yes you can play solo, as you can in any game, but as i said above, every clan with organization, which this game literally encases itself with will be using a voip.

To further my point, this game, demands to a point the use of team play, organization is a must to keep yourself alive, to keep yourself protected, and to keep production going. This organization far exceeds simple squads in a shooter only worrying about one thing. So to a point the organization of this game will require large groups to use voips for everything, which are the meat and potatoes of the community. While the meager hermit will as usual in every game use the chats for communication.

Azerath
Alpha Tester

Post by Azerath » 16 Jan 2014, 20:16

I'm thinking the usefulness would be for random encounters in the wilderness, or when interacting with other guilds.

Without it you have the kill first, ask questions never mentality. With it, you encourage interaction between players.

I can't imagine many guild leaders would be keen on giving out the connection info/PW for their voice rooms to other guilds that may not have the best of intentions.

It also seems to me that co-operation between guilds and people will be necessary in this game, more than any other before. Voice chat allows for ease of communication, and less chance of misunderstandings.
Caelitus Mihi Vires

Azerath
Alpha Tester

Post by Azerath » 16 Jan 2014, 20:24

The point about people with different languages was brought up.

I don't think voice communication will solve this problem, but it will be better than typing. Some of our keyboards don't even make the symbols in the alphabets of other languages, and it's easier to learn to speak another language than it is to read and write it.

Finally, emotion is universal in every language. It's easier to tell what someone is trying to convey if you can hear how they're saying it vs. just reading it.
Caelitus Mihi Vires

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 16 Jan 2014, 20:41

Symbols? I don't have any on my board =((
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

He-man
Alpha Tester

Post by He-man » 17 Jan 2014, 15:47

Antiblitz wrote:
He-man wrote:

Planetside 2 is an absolute shit show for pubbies, anyone who just enters in to mess around or arent part of large groups use the public chat, and normally its a babbling mess, or trolling. Anyone who is part of a group in any way isnt using the voice chat system and rather using a voip of some kind. Besides that, adding in game voice chat costs money and resources, of which the makers of planetside definitely have and LiF doesnt or else they wouldnt be asking for it.

This game is based around the structuring of team play. Yes you can play solo, as you can in any game, but as i said above, every clan with organization, which this game literally encases itself with will be using a voip.

To further my point, this game, demands to a point the use of team play, organization is a must to keep yourself alive, to keep yourself protected, and to keep production going. This organization far exceeds simple squads in a shooter only worrying about one thing. So to a point the organization of this game will require large groups to use voips for everything, which are the meat and potatoes of the community. While the meager hermit will as usual in every game use the chats for communication.

There is nothing in common between planetside 2 and LIF, one is a shooter and the other a mmorpg. I dont find any sense in your arguments, sorry.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 17 Jan 2014, 15:49

He-man wrote:
Antiblitz wrote:
He-man wrote:In what do you base to say that? why are they disorganized, and why this game is not?

There is nothing in common between planetside 2 and LIF, one is a shooter and the other an mmorpg. I dont find any sense in your arguments, sorry.

That is half the point, right there.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas