LiF:MMO Business Model

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Grimfest

LiF:MMO Business Model

Post by Grimfest » 25 May 2014, 20:54

This is exclusively referring to the MMO portion of the game.

LiF:MMO Business Model:

I am sure you have thought long and hard on this matter, It is always a controversial topic. Here is my 2 cents and others can share theirs if they wont.

Firstly, I haven't been able to find much info on your Business Model, at least nothing saying this is what we are doing and that's that. If I missed it please post a link.

Back to topic:

I am a strong supporter of subscription base MMO Business Models, is it the most profitable for a company? not always, but it allows for you to estimate your monthly income and you can scale your team/production up or down in advance. As a player, it ensures that your game is being funded for content updates.

Lastly, I was hoping to get some sort of planned business model out of you guys if that's possible. At least it might spark a debate that will help you guys with your final decision.

P.S. I have read the FAQ: Their plans on the newbie island, pay to move to main land is not a business model nor will it be a sustainable amount of money so it most certainly will not be there "entire" business model. If this game is to succeed, it can't be. unless they plan on doing what Darkfall did in the since of take the money they make from the first game and start building LiF 2, however even "Aventurine" had a subscription.

Added » 25 May 2014, 23:20

I almost feel like I posted this topic/suggestion hastily, however, I am going to go with, not my fault, as there is no official explanation of their business model. I just saw in another thread that they are planning on selling cosmetic items, which leads to the question? is this going to be a Pay to Win game? or strictly cosmetics, and is that really the best model for the success of the game?

Last edited by Grimfest on 25 May 2014, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

Flannery
Alpha Tester

Re: LiF:MMO Business Model

Post by Flannery » 26 May 2014, 22:25

The business model is rather well elaborated on - and has been for long. Only what the definite fee or cost of things will be is not entirely set yet - but there are still some clues.

LiF:MMO
Downloading the game and testing it on a small starter Island - with no PvP and a skill cap - With a server that is whiped each day - will be free.
But to transfer your char to the real - and HUGE game map, or the main land with full options and NO player restrictions will cost a fee per character transfer.
The few mentioned has been about 20 euro for the first character - and a slightly less one for additional characters.

The in game shop will only sell cosmetic stuff with NO stat giving items - purely cosmetic. This is a p2p game, not a p2w game ;-)

LiF:YO
This will be a one time purchase and you have access to everything LiF:YO offers.
Price has been hinted to about 25-30 euros I believe, but that can change either way still.
"The enemy of my enemy - is my friend"

"Tides of War" Pre Alpha Videos
http://www.tidesofwargame.com

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Post by Jezbelle » 27 May 2014, 05:35

I hope Bobik is not underestimating his game.

I think LIF will be relevant for many years to come, and a subscription based model would be more profitable long-term. Ever heard the term "wow addict"?

But i guess he'll do what's best in the end.

Protunia
Alpha Tester

Post by Protunia » 27 May 2014, 09:03

I would love to see the ability for the LIF YO players to one day be able to join in battles against each other on instanced battle fields somehow. That way people could learn, work and play in their own servers, but still have the ability to join battles with other players and guilds from other LIF YO servers.

Flesh
Alpha Tester

Post by Flesh » 28 May 2014, 06:04

Protunia wrote:I would love to see the ability for the LIF YO players to one day be able to join in battles against each other on instanced battle fields somehow. That way people could learn, work and play in their own servers, but still have the ability to join battles with other players and guilds from other LIF YO servers.

Since there will be admin tools.. What is stopping you from just creating a new server, invite those that should attend the battle. Give them full skills and battle eachother??

Or just increase skillgain to 100x and take 10 min to prepare items if not "summonable". :)

Grimfest

Post by Grimfest » 28 May 2014, 17:37

Firstly, We are all excited about this game or we wouldn't be here.

A good business model is vital to any and all games. Its not about reinventing the wheel its about proven track records. Generating residual cash flow off of cosmetics in an MMO game is unsustainable especially a full loot MMO where that "Flaming Sword of Vanquishing" you just purchased the cosmetic for, goes bye bye to the first enemy you lose a fight too.

Furthermore, cosmetics like that can be game breaking if they are saved to a character and can be attached to any weapon they have. Part of a fight is learning by visuals and knowing what your enemy is wearing to size up your opponent(s).

Also, I would rather give them $15 dollars a month like most "GOOD MMO" and have them make a permanent item for the game like said "Flaming Sword of Vanquishing" for all players to acquire which adds dimension and varity to the WHOLE gaming experience.
............................................................................................

There business model is designed for a good "Payday," but not the longevity of an high quality MMO.

Lets break it down a little, these are estimates of coarse:

100,000(players) buys LiF:YO @ 25 euros
Total = 2,500,000 euros or 3,398,500 us dollars

Every player that buys LiF:YO buys the LiF:MMO,
100,000(people) x 50 euros(2 character transfers)
Toal= 5,000,000 euros or 6,797,000

Combined Totals: 7,500,000 euros or $10,195,500
+ some minor residuals on some cosmetics which are pretty much not worth mentioning.

That's a total of $10 Million generated on the project.
That a minimum needed to "produce" an MMO, We want our developers to "Get Paid." Plus we went a great game and $10 million isn't even close for a AAA MMO. so, unless they are trying to produce a sub-par MMO then its not acceptable.

Lets touch on Cosmetics:

Some people love them, some don't care about them and no one really hates them. In a full loot game like this one and going back to UO cosmetics, "Rares" remained in banks until trammel came and then they could show them off by wearing them or Locking them down in their houses for people passing by to admire. Even then the company rarely sold cosmetics mostly in the form of dye tubs with limited charges or hair/beard dye with single use and item bless deeds with single use. I played UO for 7 years and NEVER buy any cosmetic and no one I knew or played with did either. you would see a few players running around with fairy colored hair but not many. Oh and guess what, UO had and still has a subscription.

Added » 28 May 2014, 19:47

I just thought about something, we don't even know how tight of a grip their current "investors" have, they might be the ones calling the shots on the business model anyway and therefore would make all this mute. I hope not.

Jezbelle
Alpha Tester

Post by Jezbelle » 28 May 2014, 20:08

Cosmetics will probably not be what are you are describing (i.e. flaming swords).

They will be things like being able to dye the color of your armor, maybe even dye your guild banner on it. Or to slightly change the shape of your armor, without it losing its identity as "half plate" or "leather".

Arbitrary to your point. Still i think everyone will want to buy it.

Protunia
Alpha Tester

Post by Protunia » 28 May 2014, 21:46

Flesh wrote:
Protunia wrote:I would love to see the ability for the LIF YO players to one day be able to join in battles against each other on instanced battle fields somehow. That way people could learn, work and play in their own servers, but still have the ability to join battles with other players and guilds from other LIF YO servers.

Since there will be admin tools.. What is stopping you from just creating a new server, invite those that should attend the battle. Give them full skills and battle eachother??

Or just increase skillgain to 100x and take 10 min to prepare items if not "summonable". :)

didnt realize they were going to be able to give players maxed skills etc at will. I guess that part wont matter then..

Still it would be nice to have something where the game melded them together in battles regardless even if just for fun.

Grimfest

Post by Grimfest » 29 May 2014, 06:15

If you want arena/battlefield style combat like that, there is "War of Vikings."

Im hoping that you can just build little bases/houses/forts near other groups of ppl kinda like in "Rust," where you can fight them over resources and possibly raid or take over there buildings/stuctures. Also, Like in rust, with admin tools/mods you could make it in to an arena/battlefield/hunger games style server if you choose to.

back to Business Model topic, quit raiding my thread! j/k :) pew pew pew...

Return to Suggestions and Ideas