Pitiful Farming Yield.. Help Please

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

IrishMann

Pitiful Farming Yield.. Help Please

Post by IrishMann » 29 Oct 2014, 21:23

So I am a level 100 farmer. I have 4 plots in the southeast corner of the map, each is 10x5 so 50 squares. I have transplanted all the soil with level 90+ quality. I always plant on sunny mornings, and harvest on sunny days.. I am planting on average level 80+ quality seeds. I can only ever achieve about 150% return.. Meaning If I plant 50 onions, I harvest about 75 or 80. This does not seem right. So if I replant the field I only net about 25 onions.. Seems like a ton of work for very little pay off. Does this seem right or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks

Xarr666

Re: Pitiful Farming Yield.. Help Please

Post by Xarr666 » 30 Oct 2014, 02:10

Same expierience like we had a week ago.

We also tried many things but the result were always kinda random, never the same and as we had to walk further for high quality soil, we skipped this part and used any soil awailable.

2 days ago, random lower quality soil(pored on the ground right before we sowed), low quality seeds, sown on a normal day (cant recall it, nothing special), no dung used and then bam...we got like 8-12 per field.

We did not know why and how, but we came to the conclusion, that the whole farming thing right now could be just heavy random.

Would be interested in some theories or better, tested facts aswell ;)

Norwegianwiking

Post by Norwegianwiking » 30 Oct 2014, 11:39

it could be weather related. There might be weather influences that are not actually modelled with effects etc.

Another option is server up-time. This seemed to resolve after the server rebooted on the one we're playing at, and yield returned to the normal 4-12 per tile, instead of the 1 or 2 we got for quite a while.

Puschpa

Post by Puschpa » 30 Oct 2014, 12:56

I've already tried each and every possible constellation of day time, weather, soil and seeds QL, it seems not to matter atm. Yesterday I planted a large patch just right before the day change (the seconds, when the server lags, a new day cycle starts and you can pray again). Immediately after this moment I planted the second half of my field (15x8 plots). So, both halves had the same weather during the time of seeding, and the whole growth period.

I started to harvest the filed after 9 hours for each half (our server setting is 1 irl hour = 1 ingame day). The first half, which I planted just before the new day cycle, yielded 1-2, while the second half, planted after the start of a new day cycle, yielded constantly 4-6, with a few 2 and 8. So my assumption...the yield success seems to be bound to the day, and is maybe completely random...one day the dice is rolled for a good harvest, the other for a bad one.

Xarr666

Post by Xarr666 » 30 Oct 2014, 13:08

Norwegianwiking wrote:it could be weather related. There might be weather influences that are not actually modelled with effects etc.

Another option is server up-time. This seemed to resolve after the server rebooted on the one we're playing at, and yield returned to the normal 4-12 per tile, instead of the 1 or 2 we got for quite a while.

Yea and that is what we thought about:

weather is random, you can not foresee(can you?) it neither can you adjust it as a player. Sure you could test it with GM mode maybe to be sure, but as a player this would not change anything yet.

For the server resets: Can not be, we have 3 auto restarts over night every night, so it should not have any influence i think.

Mikhal

Post by Mikhal » 30 Oct 2014, 18:51

Well, I had similar problems. 6 consecutive flax harvests that yielded 1.5 flax per tile. Not good.

In the bug tracker, I did notice that other people had issues. Dev closed out the bug with the comment that harvests are based on the last 8 cycles (in-game days) of weather.

Pretty cryptic.. however...

I ran another harvest of flax - this yielded an average of 8.5 flax per tile. Quite an improvement. The only difference was that I had a couple days there which had "fog" and one that was overcast some. While rain might not be visible at the moment, I believe these are indicators of it - and you should not harvest until you have seen it (failing that, harvest a cycle before it rots).

Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Post by Deantwo » 30 Oct 2014, 20:32

I didn't read all of the talk in the thread, but I saw no mention of rather or not the soil your using is Fertile Soil or Soil.

After having had one yield on Fertile Soil, it turns into Soil.
Growing crops in Soil is highly inefficient.

This mean that you need to either use Dung to fertilize your field, or use a shovel to replace the Soil with Fertile Soil.
The Foxtail empire successfully defended against the evil space ponies!
Read all about it: Second Invasion of Rævehjerte Repelled

- Shores of Hazeron

Puschpa

Post by Puschpa » 31 Oct 2014, 08:42

Deantwo wrote:I didn't read all of the talk in the thread, but I saw no mention of rather or not the soil your using is Fertile Soil or Soil.

This mean that you need to either use Dung to fertilize your field, or use a shovel to replace the Soil with Fertile Soil.

But this doesn't explain why I get both 1-2 and 6-8 yields on the same plots of Soil (not Fertile Soil). The Dung production atm is a joke, and replacing a field of 130+ plots after each harvest would be...hmm, don't find a word for it :)

Deantwo
Alpha Tester

Post by Deantwo » 31 Oct 2014, 11:27

Puschpa wrote:
Deantwo wrote:I didn't read all of the talk in the thread, but I saw no mention of rather or not the soil your using is Fertile Soil or Soil.

But this doesn't explain why I get both 1-2 and 6-8 yields on the same plots of Soil (not Fertile Soil). The Dung production atm is a joke, and replacing a field of 130+ plots after each harvest would be...hmm, don't find a word for it :)

Read this post:
about-crops-t2442/page10/#p24895

There are a lot of invisible variables when it comes to farming right now.
At least I don't know how to tell the weather.
The Foxtail empire successfully defended against the evil space ponies!
Read all about it: Second Invasion of Rævehjerte Repelled

- Shores of Hazeron

Jalpha

Post by Jalpha » 02 Nov 2014, 18:25

You can tell the weather by looking at the sky. I just learned this myself.

Winston wrote:
Jalpha wrote:Wait... There's actually a visual indication?

There are three different types of weather: Fair, Cloudy, Shower.

Fair is sunny, cloudy you'll see a blue sky with a few clouds here and there, and shower doesn't make rain yet but the sky turns grey and very cloudy.

Source: topic4875/

Return to Newcomer Section