Change of plans feedback

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Cunk

Re: Change of plans feedback

Post by Cunk » 12 May 2014, 02:15

Strategos wrote:Also: a question...
When will regular LiF sandbox be released now that LiF:YO is being developed? Does this postpone things significantly or is LiF:YO just an add on in order to make beta more convenient and workable?

Regular LiF will be released some time after YO (which they claim will come in August/September of this year). An specific date for the full game would probably be meaningless at this point since they are obviously running into unexpected difficulties with the full game. And I think it's safe to assume this will impact progress on the full game, at least in the near term (he's speculated that if the YO version is a success then perhaps it could help pay for additional developers which then could speed things up).

Kossako
Alpha Tester

Post by Kossako » 12 May 2014, 11:51

I'm also a little bit disappointed with this update. I understand the reasons behind it ($$$) but in overall I see no other pros besides instant influx of cash.

I share fear of hacking testing ground as other mentioned but aside from hacks that will be not possible because of server side calculations there are more that can't be prevented in any game but will be a lot easier to develop in LIF:YO: radar hacks (when you see enemies on map), autotarget (computer controls moves and hits during PvP) and of course bots. LIF:YO would be perfect place to test various bots without any worries of being detected. That may ruin LIF more than spreading population.

Apart from what I just wrote my biggest worry is about human mentality. Many players that would normally play MMORPG version even with full loot when they like the game they won't. Most humans tend to pick up the easiest way (LIF:YO) and they will get bored fast. It's like playing single game with cheats on. It's fun at first but after 2-3 days you are so bored you switch to other game.

On side note. If someone believes people will crate small communities with players compete with each other is deadly wrong. Again human nature. No one will trust rival with GM power... Those servers will became one guild only with people PvP "for fun" or build "for fun" which get them bored even faster.

Also price is a little off. 20-30 $ is same or even more than lifetime account on MMORPG version? Is price for LIF will also change? I personally have nothing against subscription based model along with F2P. But if you need money fast wouldn't be it better if you use servers you already own and let players in for subscription? For testing purposes you only need 6-9 servers. (Dunno why you are trying to run whole network at one time if there are huge problems with it) rest can be made subscription based. This will still get you money and there will be no disadvantages of your current solution.
Skills and crafting information: lif-database-application-t1494

Build your first home for newbies guide: first-house-guide-to-new-players-t1432

encode
Alpha Tester

Post by encode » 13 May 2014, 00:12

I share fear of hacking testing ground as other mentioned but aside from hacks that will be not possible because of server side calculations there are more that can't be prevented in any game but will be a lot easier to develop in LIF:YO: radar hacks (when you see enemies on map), autotarget (computer controls moves and hits during PvP) and of course bots. LIF:YO would be perfect place to test various bots without any worries of being detected. That may ruin LIF more than spreading population.

All of you that are worried about cheats are wrong, LiF:YO wont help cheaters get Radar/ESP/Aimbot-cheats faster, a simple alpha test (1 hour) can be used to recopile information to make them.

So stop complaining about that, every game have those cheats, server-side or not and every game developed in future will have.

Why? because all of them use information in client that you need to play the game, so please stop saying that LiF:YO will help to acomplish that.

On side note. If someone believes people will crate small communities with players compete with each other is deadly wrong. Again human nature. No one will trust rival with GM power... Those servers will became one guild only with people PvP "for fun" or build "for fun" which get them bored even faster.

If you find that in a server just get off, so no problem.

Im co-owner of a minecraft community with +34k users with +30 servers and in time ill setup a LiF:YO server or more if needed.

I say that LiF:YO is a good move, is like an open door for people who had never known about the MMO version and that will be translated into money to make a good game.

For those who dont know, making a game is hard and take money and time.

Bobik have been honest with us all the time, he need our support, and we have to be with him in good and bad times or we wont have the mmo for our entertainment.

I fully support this decision.

Latner

Post by Latner » 13 May 2014, 01:30

I may not post here much but I keep informed in what has been happening with the game and I have thought about this a lot, I planned to play this game with many of my friends and dedicate a lot of my time to it. But this kind of news just shows how much can change in such little time from Indie Developers like this. I am very very saddened by this news. After Mortal Online I needed a game like this... But it seems gamers may never get a proper medieval MMORPG to really honor the genre. I will still keep watching and I hope the developers do what they promised since the start... Because those who paid $70 might of just gotten screwed.

Kuroi
Alpha Tester

Post by Kuroi » 13 May 2014, 03:45

encode wrote:Im co-owner of a minecraft community with +34k users with +30 servers and in time ill setup a LiF:YO server or more if needed.

so you'll help making mmo lif even emptier, kewl

Latner wrote:Because those who paid $70 might of just gotten screwed.

smile, you just gave away $70, i got friends who gave much much more and already deleted their lif dream cause of disappointment~

encode
Alpha Tester

Post by encode » 13 May 2014, 04:17

Latner wrote:Because those who paid $70 might of just gotten screwed.

No one paid nothing, we donated for this project, are diferent things.

Kuroi wrote:so you'll help making mmo lif even emptier, kewl

I'm going to help make it more known. All of them will be potential players of mmo.

People play minecraft alone, and a high % of them like to play with so much people, and from my community 90% are pvp players.

Its not the same play with a few people than play with thousands of them.

I cant get how you guys are so bad with this decision, this will bring more potential players to mmo and will bring those who want play alone that oportunity, in both cases they will bring money to this project and mmo will be developed faster.

With feedback of LiF:YO mmo version will become strong and we will have it faster.

And @Kuroi for your information ill play mmo

Kuroi wrote:smile, you just gave away $70, i got friends who gave much much more and already deleted their lif dream cause of disappointment~

I pre-buyed Diablo3 for 70€, that was a wrong decision since its... ill describe it graphically:

I pre-buyed WarZ legendary and you can stack all the shit from the universe since it was forged that you wont get enough shit to describe what is that game since release.

LiF is what i want and im 100% supporting it and if i have to pay 20-30€ for LiF:YO ill pay it, because this project and the dev team behind deserve it.

Latner

Post by Latner » 13 May 2014, 05:06

Donated? What is this a church program? They gave at least $70 to the developers of a game. They will be compensated with the equivalent in-game currency to their $70, you're not "donating" anything... If I donate I get nothing in return, If I give them $70 they say I will get "Something" in return, and at this point their post sounds like EVEN THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD GET IF I GAVE THEM $70!

My dick said grab the game because it is going to be amazing, same thing it said for Mortal Online and various other games I have bought "pre-released". My head said to wait, these guys need to show their work... Thankfully this time around I thought with my head. I await for them to show their work and to fulfill these promises. So many people look at indie developers like this and act like $70 isn't a big deal, the COMMUNITY is paying you for your work. As an indie dev you are given a certain lineancy however a game/dev team that has been at work for what 3 years? and still is flopping around changing their whole release system? This is about as sketch as sketch can get.... I wish the team luck and hope one day I can "donate" this money I have sitting here to this project.

Touchmee
Alpha Tester

Post by Touchmee » 13 May 2014, 08:25

Why are people talking as if the game is dead? all the negative posts are like "well me and my buddies were gonna play but after this news theres no point" what? why? they are still releasing an MMO server.....

People acting like the devs have stopped work or scrapped the MMO idea when that couldn't be further from the truth....

If people are so ignorant to not even read before they face plant their keyboard creating a wall of stupid text then go away and come back when it has been released, you are only making yourself look stupid by commenting on things you don't know anything about.

All i know is i have played about 3-4hours total of alpha so far and its better than Mortal, Wurm and Darkfall put together. So i will follow their progress and wait for the game like a normal human being instead of acting like a spoilt child.

The most amusing thing about all this, is that once released i guarantee 90% of people here who are "done" with LiF will play it. But for some fucked up reason they feel the need to bitch and whine on a forum about a change that won't even effect them at all.

Flannery
Alpha Tester

Post by Flannery » 13 May 2014, 11:30

Touchmee wrote:Why are people talking as if the game is dead? all the negative posts are like "well me and my buddies were gonna play but after this news theres no point" what? why? they are still releasing an MMO server.....

People acting like the devs have stopped work or scrapped the MMO idea when that couldn't be further from the truth....

If people are so ignorant to not even read before they face plant their keyboard creating a wall of stupid text then go away and come back when it has been released, you are only making yourself look stupid by commenting on things you don't know anything about.

All i know is i have played about 3-4hours total of alpha so far and its better than Mortal, Wurm and Darkfall put together. So i will follow their progress and wait for the game like a normal human being instead of acting like a spoilt child.

The most amusing thing about all this, is that once released i guarantee 90% of people here who are "done" with LiF will play it. But for some fucked up reason they feel the need to bitch and whine on a forum about a change that won't even effect them at all.

+1 :beer:

Haha... Well said, Touchmee
"The enemy of my enemy - is my friend"

"Tides of War" Pre Alpha Videos
http://www.tidesofwargame.com

encode
Alpha Tester

Post by encode » 13 May 2014, 16:29

Latner wrote:Donated? What is this a church program? They gave at least $70 to the developers of a game. They will be compensated with the equivalent in-game currency to their $70, you're not "donating" anything... If I donate I get nothing in return, If I give them $70 they say I will get "Something" in return, and at this point their post sounds like EVEN THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD GET IF I GAVE THEM $70!

My dick said grab the game because it is going to be amazing, same thing it said for Mortal Online and various other games I have bought "pre-released". My head said to wait, these guys need to show their work... Thankfully this time around I thought with my head. I await for them to show their work and to fulfill these promises. So many people look at indie developers like this and act like $70 isn't a big deal, the COMMUNITY is paying you for your work. As an indie dev you are given a certain lineancy however a game/dev team that has been at work for what 3 years? and still is flopping around changing their whole release system? This is about as sketch as sketch can get.... I wish the team luck and hope one day I can "donate" this money I have sitting here to this project.

Yes Donation, if you want to wait is your decision, you are free :)

Tiba666
Alpha Tester

Post by Tiba666 » 13 May 2014, 17:28

i can only say if ppl dont want to play pvp they would play on the freedom server anyways and not the B2P server and as a old wurm player elevation "carebear" i didnt like to get raided nor either raid other but i like the option to do it and did it few times just to support my friends in the raids..

btw i mean the LiF:yo also support for making mod to it

Added » 13 May 2014, 19:33

Touchmee wrote:Why are people talking as if the game is dead? all the negative posts are like "well me and my buddies were gonna play but after this news theres no point" what? why? they are still releasing an MMO server.....

and the next thing for ppl will say nerf the sword or bow they are op! ^^ just like all other games right?

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 13 May 2014, 20:29

Most sincere "thank you" for that post :beer: :good:

Crusader316

Post by Crusader316 » 13 May 2014, 22:59

At the end of the day what's important is the game gets done. I think the dev team is perfectly aware that this is not the optimal solution and if they could they obviously would have done as originally planned.

The reality is a lot of games get shut down during development due to a lack of funds. I'm sure you all would prefer to have LIF MMO delayed as opposed to being cancelled, right?

LIF is still a unique and incredibly promising game so don't lose hope just yet. ;)

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 14 May 2014, 03:01

Touchmee wrote:TL;DC.

The funny thing is, I agree most of these people who are "done" with LiF will be back. But even if 25% don't that is still a large part of the current community.

25% of 100,000, not a lot.

25% of 4 and you're damned near by yourself.

Beans2004

Post by Beans2004 » 14 May 2014, 03:14

I am scared. I did not really think much about it when I first saw the post. In fact I thought it was an excelent idea, and I think it would allow me to usher in my wife into the game, but after hearing some of these opinions I have growing concerns. I would HATE to see this game die, but I dont think it would be LiF:YO that would kill it.

Bottom line, to me, is that I have NEVER truely been satisfied with an MMO. The closest was Mortal until I lost faith and TBH I will probobly go back to that goat roped game and start subbing again but thats another story. Something in the back of my mind is telling me that this game will fall short of its ambitions, in fact I am almost certain that it will, as it seems they almost always do. What I am trying to figure out is that even with failed ambitions and a botched rushed release will this game be worth playing?

I think it will be. I think the features may come late, and maybe they will have to cut some, but I think in the end it will be satifactory. For the record I kind of like the idea of LiF:YO but then again one could label me "carebear" so thats a bit of a mut point...I am still considering donating but I am weighing the words of these forums before I do.

Sensei
Alpha Tester

Post by Sensei » 14 May 2014, 06:38

Hodo wrote:25% of 4 and you're damned near by yourself.

Even with 100% of 4 you're damned near by yourself...... :D

Flannery
Alpha Tester

Post by Flannery » 14 May 2014, 10:05

I was just wondering if the possible test now the 15'th will go as planned, if it will be on the whole map as before or if this has changed? Any feedback by the Dev's on this would be nice :)

In advance, thank you for your response :beer:

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 14 May 2014, 10:24

Flannery wrote:I was just wondering if the possible test now the 15'th will go as planned, if it will be on the whole map as before or if this has changed? Any feedback by the Dev's on this would be nice :)

No changes there, these are still tests of LiF:MMO ;)

Flannery
Alpha Tester

Post by Flannery » 14 May 2014, 14:26

Arrakis09 wrote:
Flannery wrote:I was just wondering if the possible test now the 15'th will go as planned, if it will be on the whole map as before or if this has changed? Any feedback by the Dev's on this would be nice :)

No changes there, these are still tests of LiF:MMO ;)

+1 :beer:

I was kind of thinking it was, just wanted to be sure :D

Lets all just concentrate on helping and getting this show on the road, and help Bobik and team as best we can - and as we always were supposed to.

Those who do not want to support it - we have all heard and read your concerns. And I am sure the Dev's saw them coming miles away. But now- rather than to continue this charade, maybe you rather could keep your negativity to yourself - cause its not going to change facts or the course set by the Dev's anyway. At least not at this point.

It is better now to again start to work constructively on giving feedback and ideas that are built on what we now know will happen - rather than dreaming a unrealistic dream of whats not going to happen...

Its as simple as this really:
You do not like LiF:YO - but still like LiF:MMO? - then contribute on the MMO.

You do NOT like LiF:MMO, but like LiF:YO - Contribute there then ;)

If you do not like either - what the heck are you doing here??? :D

You LOVE both!??!! :beer: Welcome brother or sister! :friends:

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 14 May 2014, 15:15

Hey all.
I would like to share my point of view. Since its my point of view it doesnt have to be correct or closely accurate to reality; its just how i perceive this major decision by the dev team.
I will start with the "facts" that were stuck in my head. By facts i dont mean something that is true or not, its just how i saw it at certain point in time of development.

At one point i understood that early access on steam for MMO would happen in the 3rd quarter of this year. I might have been mistaken, but it doesnt matter cus thats how i understood it.
I was so sad i didnt have money to donate for this project. I still dont have that much money to spare.
I have spread the word about the game to numerous people including clan leaders of many cRPG clans that have also spread the word (if not all at least some of them did). Since then im getting spammed on steam with the questions concerning development of the game (seems ppl are lazy to check forums themselves).

Now im rly disappointed. Seems i was wrong about the planned early access estimate release (as someone is FAQ said a few days ago). I still dont get how i mixed the dates, so ill stubbornly say i was right about that no matter if im wrong (yes this is egoistic of me but i cant make peace with this even if im wrong).

About the project funding. I am not at all sad now i didnt give money. If i gave the money i would have requested it back. I find this as a small fraud. Why/how? Simple, you guys asked for the money to develop MMO. Now you are delaying MMO cus you did wrong maths about your capabilities and instead of asking for help, and even more money to support that help, you are gonna make 2 games instead of 1. Trickiness of MMO programing inst the excuse to derail your project that community supported based on your plans, promises and aspirations.
To make things simple ill give you a stupid example:

Someone is making a building that has 100 apartments. They request funding and ppl want to help out. No matter if i give enough money to actually own an apartment of my own or i just want to support you. Also you have never build a building that big and you share that inexperience with the (potential) funding population. They are aware of that and still they support you cus they see a beautiful building in the future where they could live one day. After the major funding phase has ended you see there are problems, big ones. Now you say to the entire community (including the ppl that funded your): "Hey guys! We have overestimated ourselves soooo... We wont make a big building yet, but we will make a house with 10 rooms! You can play there, buuuut... well in order to cover our asses we will charge it as a different project so u dont feel betrayed. Also cus of that cool house we are making your large apartment building will be delayed."
What can we say now? Some can say, well they need to do something, so better something than nothing. Others can say, well its good, ill get a house and an apartment. 3rd party might say, screw you and im off! And many other reactions that i cant be bothered to write here.

I wouldnt care if this game would have been delayed for 5 years if needed due to reasonable situations. But not because you want to make another game (that is similar but totally different).
I signed up for MMO and now i feel bad cus i feel like i lied to a lot of ppl.

Also, having private severs will drag ppl from MMO; well not all of them but even 2% is too much. The MMO needs to be populated as much as possible so we can feel the struggle for space, resources, making a name out of yourself.

I am disappointed so much i didnt want to post anything on this forum. But i feel you need every feedback you can get even if that feedback is based on a distorted perception. I strongly believe my perception isnt distorted.

Anyway, good luck with your 2 games, as if making one game isnt hard enough.

MMO see ya in 15 years or something...

Terminus_Zaire
Alpha Tester

Post by Terminus_Zaire » 14 May 2014, 15:47

En_Dotter wrote:About the project funding. I am not at all sad now i didnt give money. If i gave the money i would have requested it back. I find this as a small fraud. Why/how? Simple, you guys asked for the money to develop MMO. Now you are delaying MMO cus you did wrong maths about your capabilities and instead of asking for help, and even more money to support that help, you are gonna make 2 games instead of 1. Trickiness of MMO programing inst the excuse to derail your project that community supported based on your plans, promises and aspirations.

This is a mildly valid point, worthy of responding to in my opinion.

Now as far as I can tell, the developers hit a very serious problem with server stability. That seems to have been the biggest problem, the ability to track so many people and things all at once without the servers completely exploding.

However, what they CAN do is shrink it down to an individual server and let us, the community, run smaller versions of the game while they continue to develop their mainframe and server optimization technology.

I mean, what's the difference between LiF and LiF:YO?
Server size.

As far as I can tell, 75% of the work will be releasing LiF:YO, then it's a matter of stabilization for the main MMO.

An idea I recently just had,

Let people open up their own versions using one map design,
but use the other areas of the map as Official Mini LiF servers that the community can play on.
Start with it being only 4 zones, something that can remain stable, then increase it as the development advances.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 14 May 2014, 16:01

Terminus_Zaire wrote:
En_Dotter wrote:About the project funding. I am not at all sad now i didnt give money. If i gave the money i would have requested it back. I find this as a small fraud. Why/how? Simple, you guys asked for the money to develop MMO. Now you are delaying MMO cus you did wrong maths about your capabilities and instead of asking for help, and even more money to support that help, you are gonna make 2 games instead of 1. Trickiness of MMO programing inst the excuse to derail your project that community supported based on your plans, promises and aspirations.

Nah... it's a bullshit point. We haven't funded anything as of now. All we did was donating a certain amount to get into the alpha, and everybody who did will be among the testers.
I don't see where your right would be violated and why the devs should repay you.
Had their indiegogo campaign be successful and they did YO first, then your complaint would be valid.

Touchmee
Alpha Tester

Post by Touchmee » 14 May 2014, 16:36

Terminus_Zaire wrote:

@En_Dotter....
It cannot be "fraud" as each transaction is classed as a "donation", you are not purchasing anything and it's made extremely clear when that it is a donation. The REWARD for donating is the chance to help test the game, you are not guaranteed ANYTHING. LiF Devs asked for donation to make an MMO which they have at no point said they are no longer doing, just because something is delayed does not make it a fraud not even a small one. You seem like that person that eats a full meal then complains about it for a refund afterwards.

Even if LiF collapsed and released nothing, it would still not be a fraud in the slightest.

En_Dotter

Post by En_Dotter » 14 May 2014, 17:18

Just read the example i gave before you start teaching the meaning of the words. This is a true grey area.
"Donate for MMO, but we will develop another game as well at the same time.".

It aint a true fraud. But it smells bad. And im not saying they will not finish MMO. Anyway read my entire post before you decide to post smart comments on my posts.

Touchmee
Alpha Tester

Post by Touchmee » 14 May 2014, 18:39

En_Dotter wrote:Just read the example i gave before you start teaching the meaning of the words. This is a true grey area.
"Donate for MMO, but we will develop another game as well at the same time.".

It aint a true fraud. But it smells bad. And im not saying they will not finish MMO. Anyway read my entire post before you decide to post smart comments on my posts.

Nobody is teaching anybody anything, what fraud means is understandable by anyone, you are the one who used a bad example and a wrong situation.

Your words "I find this as a small fraud." thats a statement and your opinion and i am saying it is wrong, which it is.

It isn't fraud which is probably why you followed it with "It aint a true fraud. But it smells bad. And im not saying they will not finish MMO" in your reply.

So sorry bud but until you understand what you are saying im going to make smart comments proving you wrong, if you think its dodgy then i can't argue with you but you saying its fraud and using examples that aren't fraud are incredibly stupid.

Wigster600

Post by Wigster600 » 14 May 2014, 19:16

Good to hear this isn't sunk completely, but can't wait to play mmo,
going to far off lands to make tea runs with friends avoiding pirates and stuff so our faction/merchant guild can drink/profit from tea. :D

Flannery
Alpha Tester

Post by Flannery » 14 May 2014, 21:41

En_Dotter wrote:Hey all.
I would like to share my point of view. Since its my point of view it doesnt have to be correct or closely accurate to reality; its just how i perceive this major decision by the dev team.
I will start with the "facts" that were stuck in my head. By facts i dont mean something that is true or not, its just how i saw it at certain point in time of development.

At one point i understood that early access on steam for MMO would happen in the 3rd quarter of this year. I might have been mistaken, but it doesnt matter cus thats how i understood it.
I was so sad i didnt have money to donate for this project. I still dont have that much money to spare.
I have spread the word about the game to numerous people including clan leaders of many cRPG clans that have also spread the word (if not all at least some of them did). Since then im getting spammed on steam with the questions concerning development of the game (seems ppl are lazy to check forums themselves).

Now im rly disappointed. Seems i was wrong about the planned early access estimate release (as someone is FAQ said a few days ago). I still dont get how i mixed the dates, so ill stubbornly say i was right about that no matter if im wrong (yes this is egoistic of me but i cant make peace with this even if im wrong).

About the project funding. I am not at all sad now i didnt give money. If i gave the money i would have requested it back. I find this as a small fraud. Why/how? Simple, you guys asked for the money to develop MMO. Now you are delaying MMO cus you did wrong maths about your capabilities and instead of asking for help, and even more money to support that help, you are gonna make 2 games instead of 1. Trickiness of MMO programing inst the excuse to derail your project that community supported based on your plans, promises and aspirations.

Someone is making a building that has 100 apartments. They request funding and ppl want to help out. No matter if i give enough money to actually own an apartment of my own or i just want to support you. Also you have never build a building that big and you share that inexperience with the (potential) funding population. They are aware of that and still they support you cus they see a beautiful building in the future where they could live one day. After the major funding phase has ended you see there are problems, big ones. Now you say to the entire community (including the ppl that funded your): "Hey guys! We have overestimated ourselves soooo... We wont make a big building yet, but we will make a house with 10 rooms! You can play there, buuuut... well in order to cover our asses we will charge it as a different project so u dont feel betrayed. Also cus of that cool house we are making your large apartment building will be delayed."
What can we say now? Some can say, well they need to do something, so better something than nothing. Others can say, well its good, ill get a house and an apartment. 3rd party might say, screw you and im off! And many other reactions that i cant be bothered to write here.

I wouldnt care if this game would have been delayed for 5 years if needed due to reasonable situations. But not because you want to make another game (that is similar but totally different).

Also, having private severs will drag ppl from MMO; well not all of them but even 2% is too much. The MMO needs to be populated as much as possible so we can feel the struggle for space, resources, making a name out of yourself.

I am disappointed so much i didnt want to post anything on this forum. But i feel you need every feedback you can get even if that feedback is based on a distorted perception. I strongly believe my perception isnt distorted.

I am truly sorry.... I have read this over and over again, trying desperately to find something positive to say back at you - or even sympathize with you... But I truly failed greatly...
And this rant by myself will be addressed to you and the other haters/whiners out there. I will try my best to keep it calm...

What I am left with is that you clearly do not know how game development works, how crowd funding works, or how donating works.

Not even do you know what to expect with a game still as early in development as this game is - even after 3 years of development... And what still being in development really means.

And the reason is that earlier - just a few years ago, you would not even be a part of this process - as no game developer would include its community in such great aspect OPENLY as we experience today.

And this also gives the gamer/donator/community member a false feeling of the game being allot more further in development than it is - and also demands that the gamer/donator/community member knows more about game development than the normal guy in the street, to even be able to grasp what is going on, and what can be expected by a Dev team.

What you do as a donor is to show you believe in a CONCEPT, and wish to help out to see that concept grow into something more.
But a concept is only that... a rather rough frame to work from to develop something more solid. And the concept WILL change over time... even if the funding is solid from the beginning.
But it will have to change even more if the funding fails in some sort. Even if the end result is the original idea - just with other aspects and ways to get there.

The whole indie concept grew out from people wanting to make the games the big companies did not dare to make - as they often were - and often still are - meant for a niche crowd, that are so specific in their interest in a game, it would most likely not be able to create large box office amounts of cash.
And this is also why so many of them fail...

And this still stands today - even though the indie companies now have allot more going for them, and that the communities really have shown their support in such development teams who dare to tread, still somewhat, uncharted territory.

It has now almost become the NORM that the indie companies/teams create what is really the good games - the immerse ones. The big companies more rely on creating great game engines and a game built on it, but rely on community help, dedicated - freeworking - coders, story writers, 3D artists and animators to really take their product to new heights. And it works!

So do not for one second come and think people are committing a fraud or luring you to pay money for something you will not get here... As you are still getting what you wished for - but you are getting more for it. And everything is still safe and sound within the banner of being a CONCEPT!

It is first when the game is ready for release it seizes to be a concept... then it is a done product.

If you - and this is referring to ANY of the ones that still whine about changes at this point of development with ANY game in development... If you do not grasp this simple concept of what the course of a game in development is, and how crowd funding and donating works - you should NEVER ever again commit yourself to ANY game in development, Early Access, or Beta testing... Cause you have absolutely no place, or the ability to comprehend what is going on at all...

You should then wait til the game is finished - and give your verdict on ONE SOLE thing... what you think of the final PRODUCT!

Sorry for being so blunt... but now this whining is actually starting to piss me off - just a little tad... :D :beer:

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 14 May 2014, 21:56

Flannery wrote:I am truly sorry.... I have read this over and over again, trying desperately to find something positive to say back at you - or even sympathize with you... But I truly failed greatly...
And this rant by myself will be addressed to you and the other haters/whiners out there. I will try my best to keep it calm...

What I am left with is that you clearly do not know how game development works, how crowd funding works, or how donating works.

Not even do you know what to expect with a game still as early in development as this game is - even after 3 years of development... And what still being in development really means.

And the reason is that earlier - just a few years ago, you would not even be a part of this process - as no game developer would include its community in such great aspect OPENLY as we experience today.

And this also gives the gamer/donator/community member a false feeling of the game being allot more further in development than it is - and also demands that the gamer/donator/community member knows more about game development than the normal guy in the street, to even be able to grasp what is going on, and what can be expected by a Dev team.

What you do as a donor is to show you believe in a CONCEPT, and wish to help out to see that concept grow into something more.
But a concept is only that... a rather rough frame to work from to develop something more solid. And the concept WILL change over time... even if the funding is solid from the beginning.
But it will have to change even more if the funding fails in some sort. Even if the end result is the original idea - just with other aspects and ways to get there.

The whole indie concept grew out from people wanting to make the games the big companies did not dare to make - as they often were - and often still are - meant for a niche crowd, that are so specific in their interest in a game, it would most likely not be able to create large box office amounts of cash.

And this still stands today - even though the indie companies now have allot more going for them, and that the communities really have shown their support in such development teams who dare to tread, still somewhat, uncharted territory.

It has now almost become the NORM that the indie companies/teams create what is really the good games - the immerse ones. The big companies more rely on creating great game engines and a game built on it, but rely on community help, dedicated - freeworking - coders, story writers, 3D artists and animators to really take their product to new heights. And it works!

So do not for one second come and think people are committing a fraud or luring you to pay money for something you will not get here... As you are still getting what you wished for - but you are getting more for it. And everything is still safe and sound within the banner of being a CONCEPT!

It is first when the game is ready for release it seizes to be a concept... then it is a done product.

If you - and this is referring to ANY of the ones that still whine about changes at this point of development with ANY game in development... If you do not grasp this simple concept of what the course of a game in development is, and how crowd funding and donating works - you should NEVER ever again commit yourself to ANY game in development, Early Access, or Beta testing... Cause you have absolutely no place, or the ability to comprehend what is going on at all...

You should then wait til the game is finished - and give your verdict on ONE SOLE thing... what you think of the final PRODUCT!

Sorry for being so blunt... but now this whining is actually starting to piss me off - just a little tad... :D :beer:

Truly... People, read what this guy just said and take it deep into your hearts and heads ;)

Arthua

Post by Arthua » 15 May 2014, 04:51

Flannery wrote:
En_Dotter wrote:Hey all.

I am truly sorry.... I have read this over and over again, trying desperately to find something positive to say back at you - or even sympathize with you... But I truly failed greatly...

Just beautiful, WUNDERBAR!

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 15 May 2014, 09:13

This thread sounds somehow like one of Daenerys' nick names...

Return to General Discussion