The pope and Piety

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
RoboSenshi
Alpha Tester

The pope and Piety

Post by RoboSenshi » 15 Jun 2014, 08:47

Know I don't know if the dev team has thought about this yet but I feel it should be in the game.

As we all know the one player in the game with 100 Piety becomes the pope and has all sorts of special powers and abilities and can issue papal edicts. Now if that person stays the pope it gets boring. I'm always looking for ways to inject some drama and intrigue into the game. So I suggest that the Pope can suffer a Piety loss If he dies. Everyone else suffers some skill point loss during death so why not the Pope?

In addition to that there should be Cardinals. Not in Official title but in terms of tier stats. I.e players that have 99 piety but cannot achieve 100 because someone is already The Pope. These Cardinals are the successors. If a Pope should die or suffer a Piety Loss for any reason they automatically become the next pope. The new pope can be chosen from the pool of cardinals by seniority. That is the person who reached 99 piety first and has been at 99 piety for the longest amount of time.

I feel this would inject some very interesting politics within religious guilds like "The Vatican". As the Pope also needs to be well protected not just from criminals but from his fellow cardinals. Because a particularly ambitious cardinal may arrange for the current pope's assassination so he can assume power.

It also opens up for greater Kingdom-Papal interactions. For example if a powerful kingdom isn't happy with the current pope they can arrange for a "change in management" and install a pope that will play ball with them. Perhaps a cardinal that belongs to their faction.

In RPG games a lot of people choose to play a rouge/assassin class and they just grab quests from npcs go to a dungeon and kill some random dude (I'm looking at you Elder Scrolls). Here with Lif we have a chance to actually have assassination and subterfuge mean something and actually matter. It could change the politics of the entire map, it could even incite war.

The pope of course should be very powerful but the job shouldn't be safe. I want the Pope to be right in the thick of all the action and to be afraid of not only his enemys but his "friends" as well. This may seem a little harsh but as Bobik loves to say, Life is Feudal.

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Re: The pope and Piety

Post by Lukepop » 15 Jun 2014, 09:46

Not most powerful, a vote amongst the cardinals.
Link to Tirmani thread:
the-duchy-of-tirmani-t1291/

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 15 Jun 2014, 10:11

RoboSenshi wrote:As we all know the one player in the game with 100 Piety becomes the pope and has all sorts of special powers and abilities and can issue papal edicts. Now if that person stays the pope it gets boring. I'm always looking for ways to inject some drama and intrigue into the game. So I suggest that the Pope can suffer a Piety loss If he dies. Everyone else suffers some skill point loss during death so why not the Pope?

To the Popemobile!

RoboSenshi
Alpha Tester

Post by RoboSenshi » 15 Jun 2014, 17:03

Lukepop wrote:Not most powerful, a vote amongst the cardinals.

That works too. But there could potentially be hundreds of people at 99. Or perhaps you could limit the amount of cardinals to maybe about 20.

Thokan wrote:
RoboSenshi wrote:As we all know the one player in the game with 100 Piety becomes the pope and has all sorts of special powers and abilities and can issue papal edicts. Now if that person stays the pope it gets boring. I'm always looking for ways to inject some drama and intrigue into the game. So I suggest that the Pope can suffer a Piety loss If he dies. Everyone else suffers some skill point loss during death so why not the Pope?

To the Popemobile!

:D

Grimfest

Post by Grimfest » 16 Jun 2014, 05:34

The topic alone sickens me. I already waged war against all religious guilds and factions, and I don't even know them yet. As long as Poops don't get some crazy bonuses and its just a ranking, then I see nothing wrong with them in the game. Besides, I don't think brainwashing skill is in the game is it? What about sheep herding skill? That's the only bonuses these poops should receive.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 16 Jun 2014, 06:12

Grimfest wrote:I already waged war against all religious guilds and factions

You realize this is a medieval themed game? It's just fitting to have religious themes in there like for crusaders, muslims, or even Vikings for that matter...

RoboSenshi
Alpha Tester

Post by RoboSenshi » 16 Jun 2014, 06:35

Was going to say the exact same thing. But paganism and groups that fight the established religion is also a valid role playing option.

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 17 Jun 2014, 00:07

The pope :evil:

Grimfest

Post by Grimfest » 17 Jun 2014, 03:23

LordWiese wrote:The pope :evil:

I prefer the term poop. They are all full of it.
Siegbert wrote:

Grimfest wrote:I already waged war against all religious guilds and factions

You realize this is a medieval themed game? It's just fitting to have religious themes in there like for crusaders, Muslims, or even Vikings for that matter...

Yes I am not against it, I rather like mythologies, they intrigue me, Christian Mythology, Muslim Mythology, Norse Mythology and even Paganism. You can add to the Mythologies if you'd like, but figured you got the point.

RoboSenshi
Alpha Tester

Post by RoboSenshi » 17 Jun 2014, 15:42

We get it you hate religion. I do too but we are talking about game mechanics not personal religious beliefs.

You should also be careful and try not to offend any Christians on the forums. Adhere to the forum rules please.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 17 Jun 2014, 17:04

Well, as I said: this is a Medieval RPG. There is no serious Medieval roleplaying without religion at all since the Middle Ages were all about religions as a means of political and social order. The mythology however has no place in this game since it's meant to be non fantasy.

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 17 Jun 2014, 20:59

We'll be forming our own religion, I don't get why people want to use real world faiths in this.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 17 Jun 2014, 21:36

LordWiese wrote:We'll be forming our own religion, I don't get why people want to use real world faiths in this.

Because of credibility maybe?

Grimfest

Post by Grimfest » 18 Jun 2014, 03:17

RoboSenshi wrote:We get it you hate religion. I do too but we are talking about game mechanics not personal religious beliefs.

You should also be careful and try not to offend any Christians on the forums. Adhere to the forum rules please.

I am not here to offend anyone. EVERYTHING is offensive to someone. Truth Hurts?

You could even say the thread is offensive to me couldn't you?

I never said I was against ALL the ideas stated in this thread. Start at my first post in this thread and work your way down, or don't.

Forums must not be based in USA I guess. No freedom of speech here? LOL

Sorry I am feeling in a frisky mood today. To much Joe today(http://qz.com/88453/why-coffee-is-called-joe/)

Terminus_Zaire
Alpha Tester

Post by Terminus_Zaire » 18 Jun 2014, 05:00

Grimfest wrote:Sorry I am feeling in a frisky mood today.

Only thing crazier than a religious nutjob,
is one who tries to argue against one.

Anyway,
Some good points were brought up in this discussion.

Rationally, it would seem that the person who reached 99 first will be the first Pope, immediately leveling to 100 (the only way to reach 100). One solution might be to allow players to continue gaining experience in prayer after 99 for an infinite amount, ensuring there are never any players with exactly the same religious prestige as another.

The problem with having cardinals vote in an election is that there would need to be some sort of in-game mechanic to allow it, otherwise a player-made guild would need to actively work with the developers to say, "Make so-and-so the next pope!".

Luckily, skill loss with an alignment of 50+ is only 1 level, and I believe that level should be guaranteed to be taken from any skill that's at 100; specifically, the Pope.

Grimfest

Post by Grimfest » 18 Jun 2014, 05:52

Terminus_Zaire wrote:
Grimfest wrote:Sorry I am feeling in a frisky mood today.

Only thing crazier than a religious nutjob,
is one who tries to argue against one.

I would have to disagree, although it did make me laugh.

I would assume that the nutjob doesn't want you to argue against him, "god" forbid that. Arguing might provoke questions and "lord" knows that questions are kryptonite to nutjobs. Baaa Baaaa.

This world is made of Sheeps, Shepherds and Wolves. I'd be that Shepherd, I like to educate, but, Brainwash is a powerful tool, Wolves use.

Anyhow, I am not here to Brainwash(Preach).

I was just wanting to add to this discussion, If down the road, Popes are considered being added in as Bobik as hinted to, then I have a request that other religious groups be added as well, each with there own unique structure.

I am sure this snippet I found doesn't list them all but here are a few to add to the discussion/list

Since Christianity was the dominant religion during the Middle Ages, attempts to purify the church and society led to many Christian campaigns against other religions. These campaigns were led by bishops, scholars and warriors who made efforts to make the Christian world free of all the non-Christians. This included Jews, Muslims and Pagans and Gypsies. Jews in fact suffered the most as they were considered to be the greatest threat to Christianity.

(source)
http://quizlet.com/15343791/10-facts-ab ... ash-cards/

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 18 Jun 2014, 06:06

I'm not so sure about a pope being declared by ingame mechanics. If a church system organically evolves that's different... As you said: different guild may want to have different religious structures.
A pagan priest wouldn't want to be declared the Christian pope by the game, and sure guilds portraying moslems wouldn't want it either...

I don't know where the devs want to go with this...

Grimfest

Post by Grimfest » 18 Jun 2014, 06:15

Siegbert wrote:I'm not so sure about a pope being declared by ingame mechanics. If a church system organically evolves that's different... As you said: different guild may want to have different religious structures.A pagan priest wouldn't want to be declared the Christian pope by the game, and sure guilds portraying moslems wouldn't want it either...I don't know where the devs want to go with this...

Implementing religion in to this game in its completeness will be a monumental task, but as Bobik has stated, that's a possible future endeavor. I don't think we will be seeing popes in the game anytime soon, that's my personal opinion.

As much fun as I am having in this thread it needs to die. We need less threads about features and more threads about how to hype this game up, and things that will help in the short term.

Gnight my friend.

Crusader316

Post by Crusader316 » 18 Jun 2014, 09:25

Grimfest wrote:
RoboSenshi wrote:We get it you hate religion. I do too but we are talking about game mechanics not personal religious beliefs.

I am not here to offend anyone. EVERYTHING is offensive to someone. Truth Hurts?

You could even say the thread is offensive to me couldn't you?

I never said I was against ALL the ideas stated in this thread. Start at my first post in this thread and work your way down, or don't.

Forums must not be based in USA I guess. No freedom of speech here? LOL

Sorry I am feeling in a frisky mood today. To much Joe today(http://qz.com/88453/why-coffee-is-called-joe/)

You know there is something called 'civility' and 'respect'. You can be respectful towards people of other beliefs even if you don't agree with them. Secondly, this forum is not about discussions of religion, if you want to discuss religion do it in the appropriate forum please, it has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

I am not offended by your statements, I am simply sick of seeing the stupidity your spewing forth. I don't go to the LiF forum to see some angry atheist state his opinion as though it was fact (which it's not), niether do I go here to preach and propagate my views, I come here to read about the game.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 18 Jun 2014, 11:18

Crusader316 wrote:I don't go to the LiF forum to see some angry atheist state his opinion as though it was fact (which it's not)

Oh boy... here we go ^^

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 18 Jun 2014, 16:24

Problem with this system is that the only way someone can loose the pope rank is to die. What if the current pope just doesn't play at all ? It scrambles the whole system and makes it kinda mean toward the first cardinal xD

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 18 Jun 2014, 18:49

Siegbert wrote:
Crusader316 wrote:I don't go to the LiF forum to see some angry atheist state his opinion as though it was fact (which it's not)

Oh boy... here we go ^^

I wonder how long before someone swallows the bait. I'm sure tempted myself.

Grimfest

Post by Grimfest » 18 Jun 2014, 19:06

Thokan wrote:
Siegbert wrote:

Oh boy... here we go ^^

I wonder how long before someone swallows the bait. I'm sure tempted myself.

As much as I would love to carry on, as I stated in my last post. This thread needs to die. We have more important things to concern ourselves with. "Short Term, Ideas"

RoboSenshi
Alpha Tester

Post by RoboSenshi » 19 Jun 2014, 00:53

I'm tired of you derailing the thread Grimfest. Please go away.

Hoshiqua wrote:Problem with this system is that the only way someone can loose the pope rank is to die. What if the current pope just doesn't play at all ? It scrambles the whole system and makes it kinda mean toward the first cardinal xD

That's a good point. Bobik has stated that the only to increase your piety and alignment is to do a prayer everyday. Perhaps if after 20-30 days the pope doesn't say a prayer he can suffer a piety loss. That would force the pope to be active.

Grimfest

Post by Grimfest » 19 Jun 2014, 01:11

RoboSenshi wrote:I'm tired of you derailing the thread Grimfest. Please go away.

Poof I'm Gone.

*Grimfest Locked Himself Out Of This Thread*
"Now what do I do with this key?" ...

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 19 Jun 2014, 06:28

:)
Link to Tirmani thread:
the-duchy-of-tirmani-t1291/

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 19 Jun 2014, 08:21

It is obvious that a pope system would need an additional overlaying game mechanic other than the Piety skill. And that would be Bobik's job, after he figured out what he want the pope system to actually be or do.

Terminus_Zaire
Alpha Tester

Post by Terminus_Zaire » 20 Jun 2014, 02:31

RoboSenshi wrote:Perhaps if after 20-30 days the pope doesn't say a prayer he can suffer a piety loss. That would force the pope to be active.

A good idea, but try every 24 hours.
You want to be the Pope? You better be prepared to represent a religion.
Anyway, the person to get to 99 first is probably going to have played almost every day for nearly a year.

Baelgor
Alpha Tester

Post by Baelgor » 23 Jun 2014, 20:02

I would like to see the Pope and Piety Systems in someking of AddOn like, LiF: Rise of the Gods or something like this ... it would be even more epic if this would implement the already developed religions from the community :D Man this would sure be epic! :good:

And yeah, if you want to be pope, you should stay online at least once a day and if you dont pray for your allignment, and bless ppl with blessings you will loose your title pretty fast.
BUT first the devs should kill all the bugs and make the servers stable! I think it would be a good time for religion to appear as a real and fully grown up game mechanic after 8 months to 1 year that the first ppl already got to about 98 piety and then will start a thrilling race for the 100 cap :Yahoo!: with loads of assasinations and other evil plot twists! :beer:

Return to Suggestions and Ideas