Minor Footman changes

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Minor Footman changes

Post by Lukepop » 12 Aug 2014, 08:06

I think that the footman "class" needs some tweaking.

I think Having axes and maces as the first skill makes more sense and if possible have shield before Scale armour.

Also. Having full plate armour, Full Chivalry Line (minus chainmail) and full shield and sword (with the footman tweaking) will equal 880.

I understand most people won't get to 100 on everything but this is a bit of a problem surely. I mean quite a few people will want to be cavalry, have a sword + shield and wear plate armour.
Link to Tirmani thread:
the-duchy-of-tirmani-t1291/

Honzadr

Re: Minor Footman changes

Post by Honzadr » 12 Aug 2014, 10:43

i never understood how does skill tree work
but if you are saying that we won´t have heavy cavalry, that´s bad :(
and i agree that shield mastery should be before scale armor
and

i don´t know why unarmed combat requires spear mastery :fool: , it should be in minor skills

i think that every skill tree(it has no branches) should start with weapon and then continue with some kind of defence
militia service(i expect that it gives bonus to improvised weapons)>padded armor :good:
, or spear mastery(simplest weapon, just hold it in front of you and move forward)>padded armor>militia service(if it does something else than i think it does)
2H blades mastery>plate armor :good:
throwing weaponry> leather armor :good:
and
blades mastery>shield mastery(simple)>scale armor(techologically advanced armor)
,or axe and mace mastery(unlike swords, maces and axes are much easier to learn(swinging with club around you is always simpler than cutting with sword))>shield mastery> scale armor> blade mastery
,but
chainmail armor(i don´t think you will get horse sooner than chainmail)>war horse handling>mounted fighting mastery(you already have skills for weapon you want to use)

i hope that we can max all trees(in case i don´t die often :D )

BTW- what does Combat Preparation do?
http://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Combat_preparation

Artaus
Beta Tester

Post by Artaus » 14 Aug 2014, 00:58

Honzadr wrote:BTW- what does Combat Preparation do?
http://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Combat_preparation

I think it has to do with laying down defensive stakes and traps. To stop charging cavalry.

That's just my assumption based on the skill's picture and what English archers were known to do in the 14th Century.

Tantal
Alpha Tester

Post by Tantal » 14 Aug 2014, 07:01

Honzadr wrote:
i don´t know why unarmed combat requires spear mastery :fool: , it should be in minor skills

+1

I like the idea.

And about the rest, I think we should have a bit more combat testing and skilling to see.

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 14 Aug 2014, 07:35

Mainly just axes and maces before swords cause axes and maces were more common than swords and cheaper. Its not a matter of swords being the more versatile weapon. It's a matter of axes and maces being more common.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Honzadr

Post by Honzadr » 14 Aug 2014, 09:49

swords require skill, axes too, but they were common and every one(even women) knew how to use them and maces&clubs are simplest weapons, only thing you need to know is that- you should always hit with the heaviest part of weapon

i think that we could do this
- if we move unarmed combat to minor skills, we can fill the free space in skill tree with piercing mastery
and then split maces and axes individually
and skill tree could look like this
1. mace mastery>shield mastery>scale armor>axe mastery>sword mastery
, or
2. mace mastery>shield mastery>axe mastery>scale armor>sword mastery

tell me what option do you like, or if you think that original version is better

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 14 Aug 2014, 11:49

2 things

1. It's not "spear" class it's militia class, cheap. It is spears yes, but it's also pitchforks and fighting unarmed.

2. Axes before maces. Axes are more common even than maces, Hatchets etc.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 16 Aug 2014, 00:49

Yea I'm not sure why the combat skills are linked into skill lines except to limit people from making more unique and diverse builds. I think having the cap on skill points is limiting enough and all the skills should be open to leveling.

I would rather see more hybrid builds then everyone using the same rock paper scissor builds.

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 16 Aug 2014, 04:26

Neither system is perfect. Like this you have to learn how to use a 2 handed sword to use a 2 handed axe but the other way around you can learn how to fight from a horse before you can learn to ride a horse.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 16 Aug 2014, 07:59

I'd rather much not see people in full plate, on horse, throwing javelins :D

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 16 Aug 2014, 08:03

Not throwing javelins cause plate armour makes ranged much harder but sword,shield,plate,warhorse and lance. Don't say that's stupid because it definitely happened.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 16 Aug 2014, 08:59

I think you will have some balancing issues if you turn cavalry into rolling tanks more than they already are by default :D

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 16 Aug 2014, 09:15

Rolling tank. Aside from getting piked when charging in and getting clubbed to death when on foot or getting shot full of arrows.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Honzadr

Post by Honzadr » 16 Aug 2014, 10:53

Thokan wrote:I think you will have some balancing issues if you turn cavalry into rolling tanks more than they already are by default :D

But that is whole point of knight
but fortunately there are weapons that can win over knight
if knight is on foot-he is afraid of blunt weapons(they deform armor and can knock him down-lying knight=dead knight)
if he is on horse-he is afraid of spears and lances(speed*speed*mass/2 and on the other side is a spear head)
and all are watching out for sling attack with lead bullets

and about cavalry with javelins- Roman Empire used it

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 16 Aug 2014, 11:18

not cav wearing plate armour.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Honzadr

Post by Honzadr » 16 Aug 2014, 14:27

Lukepop wrote:not cav wearing plate armour.

segmentata is plate armor, not full plate armor,
but that would be useless from Roman perspective of war(Romans relied on mobility)

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 16 Aug 2014, 21:43

yes light cavalry kinda go for being speedy over being very well protected. it's why they're called light cavalry.
Link to Tirmani thread:

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 16 Aug 2014, 21:50

Thokan wrote:I'd rather much not see people in full plate, on horse, throwing javelins :D

Throwing is the first skill in the ranged line. Everyone could master a skill line and get throwing.

The way the tree is currently set up you could be a plate wearing horseman with javelins.

You get around 600 skillpoints with the base 10 int and of course can get abit more with more int.

There are 5 skills in a line that require a certain level of points to remove the cap on the next skill. With 500 you should be able to master an entire line and have points to spare.

There are a few instances where you would be straight up wasting points in a skill line to achieve a certain build. Mostly because each line has armour as a secondary and top of the skill lines have weapon type unlocks.

I would rather the skill lines be free with the skill cap and have the balance maker be within the physical attributes of the equipment itself. For example there is stamina in this game and it is a large part of everything your character does. We know plate armour is heavy, slows you down and drains stamina quickly. That by itself would determine many builds revolving around plate armour. If your worried about plate armour horse archers they would drain there stamina very quickly either with the application of riding taking stamina and the use of drawing a bow if you could even draw a bow in plate armour which I don't think you can.

If you apply realism I think the game would balance itself. There won't be a meta game build because everything has strengths and weakness'.

Honzadr

Post by Honzadr » 16 Aug 2014, 22:17

i think some full plate armors would need slight modifications, but what i would be worried about is a possibility that string gets stuck between plates, that could be annoying and exhausting to fix(with gloves on your hands)

Return to Suggestions and Ideas