Logout timer

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Danielb
Alpha Tester

Logout timer

Post by Danielb » 28 Mar 2014, 17:04

I'm curious as to what would happen if a player decides to logout or exit the screen whilst under attack from another player, or players. What will happen? Will the player instantly logout and save his items? or will there be a mechanic that prevents players from logging out away from you when you're trying to kill them?

If there is not such a mechanic in place yet - allow me to suggest that there could be a 5-10 second timer that prevents players from logging out or "vanishing" in other words, whilst they are under attack; they would need to wait 5-10 seconds before being able to logout.

It would be very annoying for pkers if their enemies keep logging out to save their items.

Arrakis

Re: Logout timer

Post by Arrakis » 28 Mar 2014, 17:12

There is already implemented system preventing such actions:

422. Will there be delayed logout if in combat where your characters stays in game?

Your character will stay for 20 secs in game after you have pressed Exit button or disconnected or unplugged your network cable on purpose :)

Danielb
Alpha Tester

Post by Danielb » 28 Mar 2014, 17:14

Arrakis09 wrote:There is already implemented system preventing such actions:

422. Will there be delayed logout if in combat where your characters stays in game?

Your character will stay for 20 secs in game after you have pressed Exit button or disconnected or unplugged your network cable on purpose :)

Thank you, that is good.

AceTheFlame

Post by AceTheFlame » 28 Mar 2014, 18:21

20 seconds is a bit too short, in my opinion. I think even if you log out, your character should remain in the world a bit longer. 20 seconds solve mid fight disconnects, but it doesn't solve any of the other problems.

The problem with the 20 sec timer will come up when you're chasing someone that has a slight lead on you. If he shakes you for a second, that might be all he needs to duck off somewhere and log. That leaves you with just 20 seconds to find and kill him. Which would be a very difficult task if you lost eyes.

Logging in random spots should almost never be a solution(especially to dodge a fight). Your character should feel "stuck" in the world. Only able to dodge fights by outsmarting the enemy or staying well hidden.

Saxxon

Post by Saxxon » 28 Mar 2014, 18:25

AceTheFlame wrote:20 seconds is a bit too short, in my opinion. I think even if you log out, your character should remain in the world a bit longer. 20 seconds solve mid fight disconnects, but it doesn't solve any of the other problems.

The problem with the 20 sec timer will come up when you're chasing someone that has a slight lead on you. If he shakes you for a second, that might be all he needs to duck off somewhere and log. That leaves you with just 20 seconds to find and kill him. Which would be a very difficult task if you lost eyes.

Logging in random spots should almost never be a solution(especially to dodge a fight). Your character should feel "stuck" in the world. Only able to dodge fights by outsmarting the enemy.

I'm sure it will be tested. The reason it is there is to stop logout exploits and plug pulling.

Protunia
Alpha Tester

Post by Protunia » 28 Mar 2014, 20:10

Let's say you are chasing the guy hes making a be line for his claim or his realms claim and you lose connection. Now he notices you stopped moving and are a dead link. If the timer is too long like 3-5 mins then he simply walks over and kills you and takes your gear. That situation would piss off a lot of people as well.

The timer should not be meant for players to find players and hunt for them because they can't see them after they log off. It should be to stop someone you actually can see and are fighting and can kill before logging off IMHO.

I suppose you could have a different kind of timer based on actual combat if any has taken place, Seeing a player, and being within so many tiles of a player that you actually could have killed him before he managed to slip you somewhere.

It will have to be looked at as we test and see if people abuse it or if the abuse even works when someone can see the other player and would have killed them in the fight they are in.

Will 20 secs be enough time to finish off a player who has been in combat and is going to die?? More than likely yeah as he will be defenseless after he logs.

Will 20 secs be enough time to chase down someone you just saw 20-30 tiles away?? Probably not.

Will 20 secs be enough time to find someone you do not know where they are??? I doubt it.

In the 2nd and 3rd options you could increase the timer to 5-10 mins and still never find or get the person many times. This would lead to people wanting Longer timers maybe 30 mins or 1 hour?? I have seen it happen before.

The question here is what is the goal that is supposed to be accomplished with the timer and what is not.

I think we will find a lot of different opinions on this.

At what point does the game lose the fun factor or appeal because of people getting killed and losing items long after being disconnected?

I am sure we will have some kind of timer to stop the pull the plug bit. I just think you have to be careful about how long you make this timer because it will punish people the other way around who are winning for real connection issues and disconnections.

The optimal thing would be to find the correct balance that would satisfy the most players based on what was actually going on at the time of disconnection.

AceTheFlame

Post by AceTheFlame » 29 Mar 2014, 11:58

That's the radical approach. I said "20 seconds is a bit too short". The timer doesn't need to be 3-5 mins to make you feel "stuck" in the world. That's insane and completely broken. The timer should be 30 seconds(minimum) to 40 seconds at most.

The 20 sec timer ignores the fact that the pursuer will have to check holes, houses, or etc during any chase where "shaking" is a possibility. That alone will eat up those seconds if you can't immediately figure out which way he went. The TTK, not being a few hits, also favors any non naked logger.

While someone can still manage to log out with a 30 second timer, it gives that player something to really think about. Logging will not be the go to solution for avoidance.

I will agree with Saxxon though. We shall see as the game gets tested.

Danielb
Alpha Tester

Post by Danielb » 29 Mar 2014, 14:31

AceTheFlame wrote:That's the radical approach. I said "20 seconds is a bit too short". The timer doesn't need to be 3-5 mins to make you feel "stuck" in the world. That's insane and completely broken. The timer should be 30 seconds(minimum) to 40 seconds at most.

The 20 sec timer ignores the fact that the pursuer will have to check holes, houses, or etc during any chase where "shaking" is a possibility. That alone will eat up those seconds if you can't immediately figure out which way he went. The TTK, not being a few hits, also favors any non naked logger.

While someone can still manage to log out with a 30 second timer, it gives that player something to really think about. Logging will not be the go to solution for avoidance.

I will agree with Saxxon though. We shall see as the game gets tested.

After reading all of the above, I also agree that 30-40 seconds would be more ideal.

Ramaraunt

Post by Ramaraunt » 29 Mar 2014, 16:36

I feel that 5 mins is ideal. If it was a 30 second timer, people could run behind a locked door and log off to protect their stuff. It takes more than 30 seconds to bash through a door, right?

Danielb
Alpha Tester

Post by Danielb » 30 Mar 2014, 11:07

Ramaraunt wrote:I feel that 5 mins is ideal. If it was a 30 second timer, people could run behind a locked door and log off to protect their stuff. It takes more than 30 seconds to bash through a door, right?

I believe it will depend upon what the pker can actually do in terms of when, and which structures he can damage. I thought I read somewhere that personal claims cannot be damaged by solo/small group pkers, and that only a Kingdom/Country could disband or force said personal claim out. I'm positive that there is more to it, so I am not 100% sure as of yet.

I also think that five minutes would simply be too long of a wait for one to log out after combat, as somebody has stated before; it could be quite a problem if people lose connection during combat, or just after leaving combat, which would allow any random person all that time to kill them as they please.

Protunia
Alpha Tester

Post by Protunia » 30 Mar 2014, 14:45

Ramaraunt wrote:I feel that 5 mins is ideal. If it was a 30 second timer, people could run behind a locked door and log off to protect their stuff. It takes more than 30 seconds to bash through a door, right?

Is that what the goal of the timer is though??

To keep someone in game so long that you can bash, destroy your way in, find them, and kill them??

Seems I bit much to me personally to keep people in game you cannot even see or touch at all so you can have time to find them and/or destroy things to get to them.

I think the timer should be long enough to finish someone off you are currently in actual combat with that you are fighting.

From what I have read the timer is to stop instant plug pulling from people who are in combat not to hold people in game so players can find them and kill them after they are safe from another player and not in actual combat at the current time.

Like I said this is a double edged sword when you start making people stay in game for longer periods of time for a bad link and should be thought in terms of what the largest player base would find acceptable if they had been disconnected from the game through no fault of there own.

20-30 secs should be long enough for you to kill someone standing there in front of you not blocking anything that you were in combat with at the time of disconnection IMHO.

Ramaraunt

Post by Ramaraunt » 02 Apr 2014, 19:54

Well, logging off with your stuff does a lot of bad things, once you think about it. What is stopping a town from having alts to store all their expensive gear on? This game won't be full loot if this is true. After raiding a town, the conquers will get nothing most of the time, because it's easy for defenders to store all of their stuff on logged off alts that are impossible to get to.

I would love to see some sort of system where your stuff isn't safe when you log out. Doing this properly could be tricky.

Maybe I'm getting a bit too off topic and should open a different thread.

Edummsjc

Post by Edummsjc » 01 Oct 2014, 13:22

I think It should be kind simple to solve. The mechanics of logout time should work along with the combat system (warmode). And we should have about 4 states. Warmode on/off, Secure Area yes/no.

Considering secure area to be your home our a friend structure.

If
Warmode Off and Secure Off = It should take 30 sec to logoff
Warmode On and Secure Off = It should take 60 sec to logoff
Warmode Off and Secure On = It should take 20 sec to logoff
Warmode On and Secure On = It should take 50 sec to logoff

That might work for all cases. From a sneaky logout to a disconnection during a chase.

Fish

Post by Fish » 01 Oct 2014, 16:45

90 seconds.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas